TFR announced over New York City

Old October 12th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Default TFR announced over New York City

Denny wrote:

The unnoticed action in this accident is the scramble by NORAD, over a
single incident of damage involving 4 windows in an apartment
building... What is next, scrambling when some kid falls off a swing?
How gutless and knee jerk predictable we have become... Any boxer will
tell you that when you can get your opponent to react consistently and
predictably you have the fight won...
The jihadists are winning because we are busily destroying our free
society in response to them - and that is what they are after and
happily watching as we do 'their work'...

Well that's swell that you can Monday morning quarterback after the
fact. At the time of the scramble it was unknown what the severity of a
plane crashing into a tall building was, so they erred on the side of
caution. Thinking quickly was "gutless and knee jerk" as you put it.
Apparently they were able to get aircraft scrambled quicker than on 9/11,
when it was also initially unknown if the plane crashing into a tall
building was. Amazing what a few minutes might be able to accomplish, but
you apparently would prefer not to do anything until you can do a complete
damage assessment. Great.

So if you were calling the shots, how long would you have waited to call
for air support? Until the 8:03pm that evening? Until you had every one
of the facts at your disposal?

Old October 12th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

Within minutes we knew that crash was more likely an accident than
not... There was live news coverage within those minutes which showed 4
windows ablaze on a minor building in Manhattan... The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

Old October 12th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Within minutes we knew that crash was more likely an accident than
not... There was live news coverage within those minutes which showed 4
windows ablaze on a minor building in Manhattan... The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

If I'd have been in his shoes I would have launched the alert fighters. It
hurts nothing to scramble the fighters and if they are needed they'll be
there. If nothing else it is good practice for the crews.

Old October 12th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rick[_1_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote in message ...

"Denny" wrote in message
roups.com...
Within minutes we knew that crash was more likely an accident than
not... There was live news coverage within those minutes which showed 4
windows ablaze on a minor building in Manhattan... The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

If I'd have been in his shoes I would have launched the alert fighters. It
hurts nothing to scramble the fighters and if they are needed they'll be
there. If nothing else it is good practice for the crews.

Imagine the political fallout if they didn't take action.

- Rick

Old October 12th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Rick" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in message ...

"Denny" wrote in message
groups.com...
Within minutes we knew that crash was more likely an accident than
not... There was live news coverage within those minutes which showed 4
windows ablaze on a minor building in Manhattan... The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

If I'd have been in his shoes I would have launched the alert fighters. It
hurts nothing to scramble the fighters and if they are needed they'll be
there. If nothing else it is good practice for the crews.

Imagine the political fallout if they didn't take action.

Exactly, we ought to be launching the fighters at any sign of trouble. I'm
sure the F16 pilots won't mind.

Old October 12th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Owen wrote:
snip

So if you were calling the shots, how long would you have waited to call
for air support?

If I was calling the shots, I wouldn't call for air support. I don't
believe in shooting down an unarmed civilian airliner simply because it
MIGHT be used as a weapon.
Old October 12th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Denny wrote:

The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

Does this frighten anyone else?
Old October 13th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

"Rick" wrote in message
Gig 601XL Builder wrote in message

"Denny" wrote in message
egroups.com...
Within minutes we knew that crash was more likely an accident than
not... There was live news coverage within those minutes which showed 4
windows ablaze on a minor building in Manhattan... The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

If I'd have been in his shoes I would have launched the alert fighters.
It
hurts nothing to scramble the fighters and if they are needed they'll be
there. If nothing else it is good practice for the crews.

Imagine the political fallout if they didn't take action.

Exactly, we ought to be launching the fighters at any sign of trouble. I'm
sure the F16 pilots won't mind.

Yes, for every automobile accident we should scramble the entire military so
as to spread panic amongst the entire population and show everyone that
'something' is being done. Never mind the fact no one knows what to do
where or why.

Old October 13th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Stadt

"Emily" wrote in message
. ..
Denny wrote:

The spokesman for
NORAD admitted he got his only information from CNN and made his/their
decision to scramble based upon those news reports...

Does this frighten anyone else?

Frightened but certainly not surprised.

Old October 13th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Last March I was flying the VFR corridor over Denver, in a "flight of
two". No requirement to talk to ATC, we were below Class B. As we
approached downtown we were overflown DIRECTLY ABOVE by a military jet
out of Buckley. I am pretty sure he "shot us down" (dry fire). Well, it
was a training exercise, I mean, what else do they have to do?