A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

Old June 6th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 8:39:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Paul, the answer is yes, it does, so long as your Twin Lark (serial number) was sold to you with an original (or subsequent) POH that has no lifetime limitation. Speak to your local FSDO if you want independent confirmation..

Sandhill Soaring Club has a Twin Lark for sale, which does not have a lifetime limitation. The aircraft was flying and them mothballed. We learned of the bulletin less than 6 months ago and did our homework on the matter. If you're interested in buying a ship that can be easily returned to service, please email me directly. Thanks.

Chris Schrader, Treasurer
Sandhill Soaring Club, Inc.

Hello,

My father recently passed away and owned a 40 year old Lark Two Place Sailplane Model 1S28B2. It is in desperate need of repair and also the lifetime limitation has expired and cannot be flown. It has been tied down for many years. I believe the repairs will cost at least $12,000-14,000. Does anyone know the refurbished value of the plane? Trying to figure out what to do with it. Sounds like the out of use for life is now in place. I honestly don't know anything about this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Birgit Byers
Old June 7th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 3:13:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:

My father recently passed away and owned a 40 year old Lark Two Place Sailplane Model 1S28B2...

It is likely that an experienced glider person could invest in repairs and refurbishment for a glider of that type and make some money on it. However, there is a considerable risk that further inspection will reveal deterioration or damage that would cost more to address than the aircraft is worth, and your investment in refurbishment would be lost.

My advice would be, unless someone in your family has the experience to thoroughly assess the glider, sell it as-is and where-is. Get what you can and move along. Don't drag it out. Honor your father's memory, not his relics.

--Bob K.
Old June 8th 18, 07:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead
external usenet poster

Perhaps my own experience may be of help. I own a Twin Lark IS28b2 in the UK. I am now flying it again after 6 years downtime because of the 35 yrs. life limit was imposed by the manufacturer ( who subsequently went bust) and EASA ( a bit like your FAA.) The Rumanian Aeroclub took over as Type Certificate Holder because of vested interest, and have EASA approval for selling to owners an inspection programme. This I purchased for about 500 Euro, and I performed the required inspection with my BGA approved engineer.
I was also given a scrap Twin Lark with an old trailer I bought and have kept some parts. The scrappage was on account of corrosion of the mainspar near the airbrake slots in the wings. The glider had been kept outside,tied down for many years. It was 'beyond economic repair'.
Whilst UK weather may be different to yours there is still the possibility of water ingress and local conditions in the wing which would promote similar corrosion.
Unless you hope to retain and fly it I would agree that the best course of action is to sell the glider 'as is' to an interested person who would inspect with 'fingers crossed'. I suspect that unless your Twin Lark has been tied down in desert conditions it may well have similar corrosion and be suitable for spare parts use only. The other alternative is to arrange for the critical mainspar ( and tail boom )inspection as per airworthiness directives and take a gamble with the money this would cost.
I would add to the sensible advice, on balance, to sell 'as is' and move on..
Best wishes. Pete
Old June 8th 18, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 5:13:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Paul, the answer is yes, it does, so long as your Twin Lark (serial number) was sold to you with an original (or subsequent) POH that has no lifetime limitation. Speak to your local FSDO if you want independent confirmation.

Sandhill Soaring Club has a Twin Lark for sale, which does not have a lifetime limitation. The aircraft was flying and them mothballed. We learned of the bulletin less than 6 months ago and did our homework on the matter. If you're interested in buying a ship that can be easily returned to service, please email me directly. Thanks.

Hello,

My father recently passed away and owned a 40 year old Lark Two Place Sailplane Model 1S28B2. It is in desperate need of repair and also the lifetime limitation has expired and cannot be flown. It has been tied down for many years. I believe the repairs will cost at least $12,000-14,000. Does anyone know the refurbished value of the plane? Trying to figure out what to do with it. Sounds like the out of use for life is now in place. I honestly don't know anything about this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Birgit Byers

I personally would consider donating it to the National Soaring Museum

https://www.soaringmuseum.org/

Provided, of course, they are interested.
Old June 14th 18, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, June 6, 2018 at 3:13:18 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Paul, the answer is yes, it does, so long as your Twin Lark (serial number) was sold to you with an original (or subsequent) POH that has no lifetime limitation. Speak to your local FSDO if you want independent confirmation.

Hello,

Thanks, Birgit Byers

Hello Birgit,are you here in the USA?We have a flying Lark and would be intrested in a parts glider to ensure future flying.JD
Old July 12th 19, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hey Brigitte,
I'm interest for IS-28b2
Send me your price!
Thx!
Dragan Stancic
Old July 17th 19, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi Birgit i am sorry for your loss, is your father glider still available for sale i interested to buy and if you can pls send me much as you can pics of glider?
Tnx in forward
Old December 22nd 20, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Florin Botezatu
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 3:31:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey Brigitte,
I'm interest for IS-28b2
Send me your price!
Thx!
Dragan Stancic

Hi Dragan,
Are you Still interested in purchasing the IS-28B2?