FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

Old January 13th 21, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

Hi All - FLARM has announced release of firmware supporting ADS-R and
TIS-B reception. This feature is included in new firmware for Core
Fusion. For original PowerFLARM core and portable, this requires a
license available he
https://flarm.com/shop/ads-r-and-tis-b-reception-adsr/

Firmware is available he
https://flarm.com/support/firmware-u...nload-firmware.

Additional info about this feature he
https://flarm.com/products/product-add-ons/ads-r-tis-b.

Enjoy!
Best Regards, Dave
Old January 13th 21, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I can't say that I'm happy that they choose to charge for this pretty important upgrade.

Lou
Old January 13th 21, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Please consider ordering the ADS-R Enable from your local FLARM dealer. The price is the same for you.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...m-enable-ads-r

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 14th 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

It looks like this feature is only applicable in the US. I doubt there's any benefit in having it in Canada.
Old January 14th 21, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 1/13/2021 3:53 PM, MNLou wrote:
I can't say that I'm happy that they choose to charge for this pretty important upgrade.

Lou

Right. It's just a software change, like other firmware updates. And
it enhances safety. Charging (149 euros) for activating the feature
means a lot of people will skip it, and ADS-R "targets" will remain
invisible. And those UAT "targets" are generally small airplanes who
share our altitudes. It's one thing to charge extra for non-safety
bonus features (such as IGC approved logging) and another to cut into
the basic collision avoidance purpose of the device.

Question: the lack of collision warnings due to low accuracy fix, does
that apply to ADS-R or only to TIS-B? You'd think the position of
airplanes transmitting GPS coordinates on UAT is precisely known, just
like those transmitting on 1090? Only airplanes whose position is only
derived from ground RADAR would be imprecise.
Old January 14th 21, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Please remember that for ADS-R and TIS-B to work reliably your glider needs to be ADS-B Out equipped. That can be 2020 Compliant or TABS (but not say any old GPS providing position data to ADS-B Out with SIL=0) this allows the glider to be it a client of the ADS-R and TIS-B ground based services. You also need to configure the ADS-B Out to describe that the glider/PowerFLARM can receive ADS-B data on 1090ES. Since we are talking almost excessively Trig transponders that means that on the Trig transponder ADS-B setup menu you set "1090ES In" to YES and "UAT In" to NO. (that's the way I've been encouraging folks to set this up anyhow... waiting for this day to come :-)).

If your glider has ADS-B Out today and PowerFLARM this is something I would encourage you to just install over winter. If you fly near dense GA traffic (which may be more likely to be UAT Out or only transponder equipped) then this may be justification for upgrading to ADS-B Out to enable your glider to be a ADS-R and TIS-B client.... and also to ensure that hopefully much of that traffic can also see you.

This update has been a significant amount of work from FLARM, to serve a relatively small customer base in the USA. And it's not trivial to implement, thanks Jerome and Urban at Flarm for doing the hard work here. Also thanks to folks in the USA who have test flow this over the last few months.

Do you have ADS-R and TIS-B ADS-B ground service coverage near your gliderport? Or other busy traffic areas? You can start by lookin at the FAA ADS-B coverage maps in Google Earth: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/research/airspace (the radar coverage info there will also give you an idea if you will see traffic via SSR/TIS-B).

Old January 14th 21, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 3:21:45 PM UTC-8, wrote:
It looks like this feature is only applicable in the US. I doubt there's any benefit in having it in Canada.

That is made pretty clear in the FLARM announcement. ADS-R and TIS-B are USA only services. This option has absolutely no benefit to anybody outside the USA.
Old January 14th 21, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Gents - I made a mistake in my earlier, now deleted, post.

After some off line discussion, I now understand that Flarm went to significant effort and expense to increase the safety of US glider pilots. Recouping some of that cost is reasonable.

Mea culpa -

Lou
Old January 14th 21, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 13, 2021 at 4:51:25 PM UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

Please consider ordering the ADS-R Enable from your local FLARM dealer. The price is the same for you.
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...m-enable-ads-r

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Hello Paul - for the Canadian readers, many of whom have PowerFLARM CORE; is the factory recommendation to update to 7.03 firmware - most current on the FLARM website - or stay back on 7.02? It is not clear in the release notes. Happy New Year. You can take your time with the answer, since we won't be flying until April (snow) or later (that pesky virus (tongue in cheek))..
Old January 14th 21, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Dan,

It doesn't appear that there is any benefit to upgrading from 7.02 to 7.03 for anyone outside the USA.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde