Experience towing a Grob-103 with a 160HP tow Plane?

Old March 17th 21, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton KSz

Default Experience towing a Grob-103 with a 160HP tow Plane?

I've been towed once by a 150HP 7KCAB Citabria (in a Grob 103a) starting from sea level, there was no drama, although the climb was a bit shallow.
We've been towing Blaniks and PW-6 regularly with a 160HP Super Cub, no issues below 6000ft (western WA).
Old March 17th 21, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 150hp 7GCBC has less of an issue. The longer wing and flaps help. Again, it’s not just hp that matters. I’ve towed behind 180hp Scouts that were dogs because the extra hp is wasted with a heavier airframe and I suspect a poor prop choice.

Old March 18th 21, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 3/16/2021 3:40 PM, wrote:
Does anyone have experience with towing a Grob 103 or similar large 2-seat glider with a tow plane in the 160 HP class. Any specific experience details, lessons learned, or recommendations are appreciated. Did you do any testing prior to conducting training? If so, what was executed and logic for a testing progression, for instance. Does anyone propose environmental limits or runway length recommendations?

Asking because our 235 HP Pawnee is going to be offline for a while and we're investigating a lesser-powered Pawnee as a stand-in.

I suspect you won't get too many replies from those who have tried it.
Why?
They are still on tow...
Old March 18th 21, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

When I started flying Parowan Ut the tug there was a C150/150 hp.
The tow pilot was this skilled gentleman named Gene.
The Density altitude in the summer could go up to 8-9 K easy.
I launched my fully ballasted ASw 20 there with that tug many, many times.
Parowan is open ground , not much in the way of obstacles to clear.
I gave quite a few rides there with that tug in a L-13.
While it worked Ok and was cheap to run, it helped alot to have 2 skilled pilots on the rope.
Then a 600 HP biplane Ag Wagon thing showed up. Super expensive to run but very short time on tow with that thing. Unfortunate to report that plane was quickly balled up in short order.
Back to the C150/150. For years.
We also gave a couple thousand rides here in Telluride with a C150/180. Density here in the summer goes over 12k.
That plane was also cheap to run.
You can tow, on fairly low HP, just need some nerve once in a while if you launch into a sinker.
If you have obstacles to clear, that's a whole different situation than Parowan and Telluride.
Nick
Old March 25th 21, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S

No experience with a Grob 103 but I tow with a short wing Piper 160hp. I could not tow a maxed 103 (1400 lbs?) due to a 1200 lb limit on the Piper’s tow hitch.
Last Summer, density altitude 3 to 4000’ , towing a maxed out 2-33, 220lb tow pilot and 30 gallons of fuel yielded about 300/350 fpm. Not stellar but completely safe as we departed from a paved surface.
Our tow plane is a PA22-108 with no interior and an stc’d O-320-B2A.. Weighs 1010 lbs empty. It is an extremely cost effective tug. We want to purchase a PW6 later this year and our intention is to continue to use the PA22 as our tug. The limit on the tow hitch and gross weight on the PW6 are matched. I suspect the PW6 will tow more easily than the 2-33 due to lower drag.

Old March 26th 21, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Clark[_2_]

Jim S,

Thread drift notwithstanding, if you haven't already installed them, a vortex generator kit really helps with low speed handling on the short winged Colt. It's a pretty cheap and easy performance enhancement for towing gliders.

RC

Old March 26th 21, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim S

Hi Ron,
Ironic you brought that up.
Currently, I am building a new set of wings for the PA22. I am planning on installing VGs. At the moment, fabrication of the Stewart square wingtips are in process. These are not drooped but extend the full airfoil shape the entire span. There is a small increase in wing area but primarily gets rid of the round tapering wingtip. Also, the cover will be poly-fiber as it is light compared to dope. My current wings have a thick coat of two part Aerothane and consequently heavier than they need to be. The new lighter wings, extended tips and VGs should make this tug even better.