Glider for heavy Pilot

Old March 21st 21, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

Default Glider for heavy Pilot

We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits. Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx
UH
Old March 21st 21, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ed Gaddy[_3_]

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 9:55:24 AM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits. Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx
UH

SGS 2-23, Front seat maybe, rear seat dual for sure.

Old March 21st 21, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 6:55:24 AM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits. Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx
UH

UH-

I have been wondering if anyone in the past has modified a dual seat glider into a single seat for heavy pilots.
I would think it would be possible and an option, although getting it done and approved might be a bigger problem.
Doing this to a high performance 2 seat glider seems like it would be an attractive option for large and heavy glider pilots.

Regards,
Chris Behm
Old March 21st 21, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:32:55 -0700, Chris Behm wrote:

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 6:55:24 AM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross
weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits.
Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx UH

UH-

I have been wondering if anyone in the past has modified a dual seat
glider into a single seat for heavy pilots.
I would think it would be possible and an option, although getting it
done and approved might be a bigger problem.
Doing this to a high performance 2 seat glider seems like it would be an
attractive option for large and heavy glider pilots.

Bear in mind that many (most) German gliders design straps and their
mount point requirements to match the maximum per-seat load, so adapting
a dual seat glider for a 200kg pilot would need cockpit structural
changes to (roughly double the max load on straps and their attachment
points as well as seating position changes to keep the CG within limits.

All in all, it sounds to me like a job needing the expertise of Bob K or
the Streifeneder team at Glasfaser.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 22nd 21, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

280 is alot
Would a Grob Speed Astir or one of the Grob single seat models work?
My Grob Twin Astir had large seats....
Nick
Old March 22nd 21, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JAB

On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 06:55:22 -0700 (PDT), Hank Nixon
wrote:

Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.

ASK21B - 286 lbs with parachute...Front seat single seated
Old March 22nd 21, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 6:04:26 PM UTC-6, wrote:
280 is alot
Would a Grob Speed Astir or one of the Grob single seat models work?
My Grob Twin Astir had large seats....
Nick

There are a few that would be within CG range, but very few that would allow that margin with non-lifting parts. Genesis 2 could probably be 'weighted' to work using the rear ballast weights and may still be in the non-lifting parts range. IIRC, Open Cirrus CG range is good to about 350lbs, but it would exceed the seat weight restraint limit of 242lbs, yet still be within the max dry weight and non-lifting parts range (551lbs) of 882lbs. BGA allows a LAK12 to put lead in the tail to allow 130kg in the cockpit, but the cockpit may be tight in other dimensions.

Frank

Old March 22nd 21, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 2:55:24 AM UTC+13, Hank Nixon wrote:
We are looking at what gliders may be suitable for heavy pilots. Gross weight, max mass of non lifting components, and forward CG limits. Subject pilot weighs 280 lb.
Ant experience out there?
Thx
UH

I know it is not a early solo glider but there have been a number of Nimbus 2 (A model, all flying tail,big cockpit)
advertised over the years in Europe with 130kg cockpit loads, my own nimbus, my engineer says that
136kg in cockpit would fit in the envelope + another 20kgs in the fuselage .
Straps and anchorages are the issue , depends on your local CAA FAA etc rules
Gary
Old March 22nd 21, 09:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have flown a twin astir at max front seat weight ,
You run out of back stick to get speed down ,
NOT a glider to fly over max weight ,you run out of elevator
Gary