Revolutionary new plane

Old March 25th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Revolutionary new plane

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 05:06:49 -0700, andy l wrote:

On Thursday, 25 March 2021 at 11:44:46 UTC, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 20:08:43 -0600, kinsell wrote:

https://mashable.com/video/train-plane-hybrid/

You gotta admit, it's better than the electric train pulling a blimp.

Maybe with a longer extension cord, electric gliders could work.

Nice one, whoever drew it. About as aerodynamic as a brick.

--
Martin | martin at Gregorie | gregorie dot org

About a week too early for April Fool's Day

It reminded me very slightly of the Caspian Sea Monster, but those used
to fly lower

Some ekranoplanes were strictly ground effect, while others, like the
A-90 Orlyonok (the one with a huge turboprop unit on the top of its
tailfin) apparently had a maximum operating altitude of 9,800 ft., a
range of 930miles and max speed of 220 kts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-90_Orlyonok

But, that electric thing reminds me more of a modern version of the
Caproni Ca.60 - prewar the flying boat thing with three triplane wing
stacks stacks attached to what looks like an up-market canal-boat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caproni_Ca.60

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 25th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Same outfit that came up with the ecranoplan? Reminds me of the old
saw:Â* Just because you /_can_/ do something doesn't mean that you
/_should_/.

Dan 5J
On 3/25/21 9:11 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
The concept came from a Russian design firm, so I doubt legal
marijuana was involved :^)

Old March 25th 21, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 3/25/21 8:28 AM, Richard Livingston wrote:
Both of those "concepts" show complete ignorance of aerodynamics. Reminds me of my
grandmother who wanted to tell the pilot to fly low and slow, for safety. There are very good
reasons modern aircraft are all mono-planes turbofans that fly at very high altitudes. They are both
more energy efficient and safer. Why would anyone want an airplane that has to follow a track?

Rich L.

I know these do indeed look like April Fools jokes, but who would have
ever guessed that Caproni would build a nine-wing seaplane airliner
meant to cross the Atlantic with only eight refueling stops? They
actually made one and a half test flights with that thing.

Here's a more detailed article on the three-wing job. Through the
miracles of Photoshop, now they're flying with gear up:

https://paxex.aero/se-aeronautics-fever-dream/

This one has an actual author who is starting to apply a bit of critical
thinking. Sounds like they're serious about this thing, fishing around
for $40-50 million in seed money, then angling for the ever popular
reverse acquisition with a Special Purpose Acquisition Company to get
the billions they'll need. If they actually do go public, a day one
naked short sounds like a good bet to me. First flight in three years,
you betcha.

Interesting that the one shot molding process forces a few compromises,
like no windows. Does that include the cockpit too?

Seriously, am I the only one with an Android phone that keeps getting
this crap fed to them? When they've got nothing new, they recycle old
articles like how the Alice in Wonderland plane was the star of the 2019
Paris airshow, or how Norway is charging full speed ahead with their
all-electric airplane program.
Old March 25th 21, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Hills

Not totally on topic but interesting...

https://scitechdaily.com/big-breakth...ious-versions/

Bob 7U

--
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*********************DISCLAIMER****************** **
The
Old March 25th 21, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I don't get any of that stuff on my Android phone so I'd guess it's a
configuration issue.Â* I also don't get notifications and I don't get
awakened in the middle of the night (any more).Â* Go through all of the
setup options (my favorite is Quiet Time).

Dan 5J
On 3/25/21 10:24 AM, kinsell wrote:
On 3/25/21 8:28 AM, Richard Livingston wrote:
Both of those "concepts" show complete ignorance of aerodynamics.Â*
Reminds me of my
grandmother who wanted to tell the pilot to fly low and slow, for
safety.Â* There are very good
reasons modern aircraft are all mono-planes turbofans that fly at
very high altitudes.Â* They are both
more energy efficient and safer.Â* Why would anyone want an airplane
that has to follow a track?

Rich L.

I know these do indeed look like April Fools jokes, but who would have
ever guessed that Caproni would build a nine-wing seaplane airliner
meant to cross the Atlantic with only eight refueling stops?Â* They
actually made one and a half test flights with that thing.

Here's a more detailed article on the three-wing job.Â* Through the
miracles of Photoshop, now they're flying with gear up:

https://paxex.aero/se-aeronautics-fever-dream/

This one has an actual author who is starting to apply a bit of
critical thinking.Â* Sounds like they're serious about this thing,
fishing around for $40-50 million in seed money, then angling for the
ever popular reverse acquisition with a Special Purpose Acquisition
Company to get the billions they'll need.Â* If they actually do go
public, a day one naked short sounds like a good bet to me.Â* First
flight in three years, you betcha.

Interesting that the one shot molding process forces a few
compromises, like no windows.Â* Does that include the cockpit too?

Seriously, am I the only one with an Android phone that keeps getting
this crap fed to them?Â* When they've got nothing new, they recycle old

Old March 25th 21, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy l

On Thursday, 25 March 2021 at 16:26:38 UTC, Robert Hills wrote:
Not totally on topic but interesting...

https://scitechdaily.com/big-breakth...ious-versions/

From the middle of that article, it might be 10 times the energy storage compared to previous development in thus field, but

"The battery has an energy density of 24 Wh/kg, meaning approximately 20 percent capacity compared to comparable lithium-ion batteries currently available. But since the weight of the vehicles can be greatly reduced, less energy will be required to drive an electric car, for example, and lower energy density also results in increased safety. "

Somehow I can't reconcile some basic arithmetic. How, for instance, would this work on a small two seater car with a body made of 100 kg of carbon fibre? How does it save quarter or half a ton of battery?
Old March 25th 21, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

kinsell wrote on 3/25/2021 9:24 AM:
[...]

The only mention I saw for windows was they are structurally inefficient, and all passengers
would get better outside views with cameras outside and video screens on the inside. I'm for
that, as airline windows are small, limited in viewing area, and often hazy.

Old March 25th 21, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

Andy's post about the carbon fiber "structural battery" is interesting. But I wonder what perils might arise from having the energy storage in the wings and/or body of the vehicle and getting into a crash. Do you get a bigger puff of smoke , a lovely thermal runaway and fire as a result of a fender bender?

Old March 25th 21, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

Not so new a concept, in Lithuania they are using a ground tow system to teach young kids to fly!

https://youtu.be/u4XfMHfIYSk

Old March 25th 21, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 11:21:33 -0700, Mark Mocho wrote:

Andy's post about the carbon fiber "structural battery" is interesting.
But I wonder what perils might arise from having the energy storage in
the wings and/or body of the vehicle and getting into a crash. Do you
get a bigger puff of smoke , a lovely thermal runaway and fire as a
result of a fender bender?

Two things the ocurred to me:

- if the battery is (part of) the structure, how easy it it to replace
and the bit of the structure storing energy when it gets old or fails?

- AFAIK the amount of energy stored in a battery depends on the amount,
and hence mass, of active material in the battery so, a thin carbon
shell and a lithium-coated piece of aluminium foil may make a strong,
light structure, but how much energy does it hold when fully charged
and how much does the thing weigh when you've packed enough of these
together to store the amount of energy your device requires. I can
maybe see this working if its the shell of a mobile phone, but if its
a car's body structure, or aircraft fuselage?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org