A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

Old May 31st 21, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Livingston[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Oudie/Flarm alarm from my own ADS-B/Transponder

On Sunday, May 30, 2021 at 9:10:29 PM UTC-5, Guy Acheson wrote:
Many of us depend upon configuration advice provided by the vendors.
I buy my stuff from Paul Remde (Cumulus Soaring).
Does anyone have concerns with how Paul advises to set-up the Flarm?

Guy,

Paul has been very helpful to us on several problems. I set up the FLARM per his instructions, and also the transponder that we bought from him (Trig TT22 with TN72 GPS). Of course I might have missed something...

Rich L.
Old June 1st 21, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

I agree with Dan about the insane ranges. I recall Paul recommended it only for testing, otherwise you will get alert for every airliner at cruising altitude. However I doubt this is related to the false alarms. Is your mode S ID set correctly in the flarm config?

Ramy

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:56:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Guy,

Paul has been very helpful to us on several problems. I set up the FLARM per his instructions, and also the transponder that we bought from him (Trig TT22 with TN72 GPS). Of course I might have missed something...

Rich L.

Old June 1st 21, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 9:35:09 AM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
I agree with Dan about the insane ranges. I recall Paul recommended it only for testing, otherwise you will get alert for every airliner at cruising altitude. However I doubt this is related to the false alarms. Is your mode S ID set correctly in the flarm config?

Ramy
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 1:56:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Guy,

Rich L.

I am having the same issues: Flarm and transponder see each other as enemies. This is my config file:
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A2CEDC
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,Jonathan S.
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N280K
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,ASG-29Es
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,18 m
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,OK
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0
Old June 1st 21, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Zivley[_3_]
external usenet poster

Jonathan,

You're missing the lines that state you have a transponder and what type and whether you prefer aggressive or normal filtering.

$PFLAC,S,MODEC,X
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,X
$PFLAC,S,PCASCALIBRATION,30
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,X
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,X

these are from my file, but since my transponder may be different than yours I've changed the values to an "X" so you'll need to get the correct values based on your setup.

A better recommendation is to go to the Flarm web site and use their configuration tool. It has gotten better than it was.

https://flarm.com/support/tools-soft...guration-tool/

It's a bit techy, but then you'll end up with a file that should work better than the somewhat limited file you included below.

I would recommend to check the box that says "advanced settings". Just don't adjust the items about baud rates, protocol, or data sentences. Most of the rest makes sense to non EEs.

I would suggest to use the altitude that your transponder is sending out so that your Flarm and the transponder are sending the same altitude info. Maybe others recommend differently. Of course, this assumes that your transponder altitude calibration is accurate.

"Rebroadcast Services" is only for Flarm units in the US which also have the necessary license. If you have a Flarm Fusion or if you paid for the extra license for your core then you'll want to stay with the default value of ADS-R and TIS-B otherwise might as well select "none".

Mark

I am having the same issues: Flarm and transponder see each other as enemies. This is my config file:
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A2CEDC
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N280K
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,18 m
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,OK
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Old June 2nd 21, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Thank you SO MUCH. I did use the Flarm config tool to make this config file. Will try again. Where do these lines go in the config file? I have a Garrechet mode S transponder. Thanks again!
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 2:30:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Jonathan,

You're missing the lines that state you have a transponder and what type and whether you prefer aggressive or normal filtering.

$PFLAC,S,MODEC,X
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,X
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,X
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,X

these are from my file, but since my transponder may be different than yours I've changed the values to an "X" so you'll need to get the correct values based on your setup.

A better recommendation is to go to the Flarm web site and use their configuration tool. It has gotten better than it was.

It's a bit techy, but then you'll end up with a file that should work better than the somewhat limited file you included below.

I would recommend to check the box that says "advanced settings". Just don't adjust the items about baud rates, protocol, or data sentences. Most of the rest makes sense to non EEs.

I would suggest to use the altitude that your transponder is sending out so that your Flarm and the transponder are sending the same altitude info. Maybe others recommend differently. Of course, this assumes that your transponder altitude calibration is accurate.

"Rebroadcast Services" is only for Flarm units in the US which also have the necessary license. If you have a Flarm Fusion or if you paid for the extra license for your core then you'll want to stay with the default value of ADS-R and TIS-B otherwise might as well select "none".

Mark
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A2CEDC
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,N280K
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,18 m
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,OK
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0

Old June 2nd 21, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

The flarm configuration tool should have inserted these lines but unfortunately the tool is confusing. You need to select the option that you have ADSB receiver. All powerflarms have. And also enable the advance mode so you can set the ranges correctly. And then enter the ICAO/mode S code (even if you don’t have mode S transponder).

Ramy

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021 at 6:20:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Thank you SO MUCH. I did use the Flarm config tool to make this config file. Will try again. Where do these lines go in the config file? I have a Garrechet mode S transponder. Thanks again!
On Tuesday, June 1, 2021 at 2:30:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Jonathan,

$PFLAC,S,MODEC,X
$PFLAC,S,OWNMODEC,X
$PFLAC,S,XPDR,X
$PFLAC,S,MODESALT,X

I would suggest to use the altitude that your transponder is sending out so that your Flarm and the transponder are sending the same altitude info.. Maybe others recommend differently. Of course, this assumes that your transponder altitude calibration is accurate.

Mark
$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,ID,A2CEDC
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,1
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT1,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD1,2
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT2,41
$PFLAC,S,BAUD2,2
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,65535
$PFLAC,S,VRANGE,2000
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOOUT,0
$PFLAC,S,AUDIOVOLUME,100
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,4