Soliciting Applications for the 2021 Wally and Muriel Leland Mentorship

Old May 23rd 21, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

Default Soliciting Applications for the 2021 Wally and Muriel Leland Mentorship

Request for Proposals: Second annual 2021 Wally and Muriel Leland Mentorship awards

Purpose: Provide advanced training of female glider-certificated pilots in cross country, aerobatics and/or competition flying.

Award: Single or multiple awards of up to $2,000 (or $6,000 if matching goal met).

Awardee: The funds will be awarded to and controlled by the mentor (female or male) of the "trainee", experienced in at least one of the 3 qualifying themes above.

Application: A brief (1 - 2 paragraph) proposal outlining how the funds will be used, the qualifications of the mentor, name(s) of the trainee, equipment available, location of the instruction and the time period of proposed activities. The prospective mentor submits the application, not the trainee.. The mentor need not be a CFIG or commercial pilot. Please forward to "The Phlyingals" by PM.

Restrictions: Almost no restrictions imposed. The funds can be used at the discretion of the mentor and may include personal costs of the mentor, tow fees, rental fees, software/hardware purchase and etc.

Matching Challenge: For those wishing to increase the total amount of funds being made available, we will match dollar-for-dollar pledges of any amount up to a maximum of $2,000. This would increase the total stipend to $6,000. The pledged amounts would be sent directly to the mentor (i.e., not through the benefactor). Those pledging will be included in the decision process for the awardee(s).

Why a Mentorship?: Many of us have benefited greatly in our lives from mentors who provided the right guidance, inspiration, advice and training to succeed. Some of us are self-motivated in our ambitions, others need inspiration through example. Many experienced pilots have been sharing dual-flights to assist in advanced training, an effort which seems to be paying off quite well. This funding opportunity is designed to fill an apparent gap in existing, generous, SSA and WSPA scholarships but that are primarily targeting financial support of young trainees. We hope this "Leland" award will proactively encourage the development of mentorship efforts geared towards advanced soaring, beyond initial training, in order to retain pilot interest in the sport.

The mentorship was inspired by Wally Leland (Lt. Col, ret) who was a co-founder of the USAF Academy's Soaring Program in 1961 and who served as mentor to several youth student pilots, both male and female. He passed away shortly after his 90th birthday last year.
It is dedicated to his wife, Muriel Leland, a long-time certified glider pilot on her 91st birthday. As one of her daughter's related..."Dad was very adamant about mom learning to fly, he instructed many female pilots to fly sailplanes including Janie Oesch, another '99 and Ruth Wild at the Black Forest Glider Port. When we went to the gliderport we ice skated on ]the river by Mark and Ruth Wilds land.. [This brings] back so many memories
https://www.ninety-nines.org/pdf/new...ine/196802.pdf page 17 of 40. Muriel Leland reporter, Pikes Peak Chapter"

Mike for the "Phlyingals"
Old May 23rd 21, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 4:55:07 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Great, thank you for the establishment of this mentorship award!
Old May 24th 21, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 12:16:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

There doesn't seem to be a link to apply?
Old May 24th 21, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

You can either use the "Reply To Author" function here on RAS or email us:
phlyingals AT gmail.com

Old June 10th 21, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

Per the announcement, applications for the 2021 Leland Mentorship will be accepted until June 21st, so please get one in soon. Any excess, unspent funds will likely be transferred to the WSPA's scholarship program; the major difference is that their bylaws do not permit funding of male mentors for female mentees. One plus is that they are more capable of reaching a larger candidate pool than only here on RAS. To date there have been no matching funds pledged, so the total award to draw from remains at $2,000.
Thanks,

Phyllis for the Phlyingals

soliciting comments on the Pipistrel Apis 15m [email protected] Soaring 4 March 15th 21 07:50 PM
Mentorship for Women [email protected] Soaring 5 May 24th 20 07:45 PM
soliciting DG-101 info [email protected] Soaring 10 April 1st 18 08:08 PM
XC Mentorship Events noel.wade Soaring 5 July 22nd 14 07:50 PM
Soliciting Testimonials on Covering Systems Larry Smith Home Built 5 August 18th 03 09:24 AM