Poll: best bird under $35K?

Old October 31st 04, 09:55 PM
psyshrike

Default Poll: best bird under $35K?

Howdy,

My Requirements:
3 Humans, 4 hours, VFR, ~ 100 knots.

Put these in order of preference:

Piper Tri Pacer:
Pros: Low acquisition Cost, Tri gear
Cons: Often neglected. Ground Handling, old panel, parts support.

Stinson 108-x:
Pros: Most beautifull of the bunch, good performance.
Cons: Conventional gear, old panel, parts support.

Cessna 175 GO-300
Pros: Aluminum, tri-gear, it's a Cessna.
Cons: Short engine lifespan, parts support, old panel.

Square Tailed Cessna 172 (as in 58-59 models)
Pros: Aluminum, tri-gear, it's a Cessna
Cons: Probably more AD's than a 737, old panel

Piper Cherokee 140
Pros: Aluminum, Modern plane, modern panel.
Cons: Doesn't meet weight requirements.

As you can tell, I don't mind old birds. In any case, a well
maintained example will be a personal requirement. A good example of
the worst type is probably better than bad example of the best.

I've got about 250 hours + complex endorsement. I haven't been flying
for a while, but am starting to convince myself that getting another
aircraft is justifiable.

I don't have any time in any of these. I'm asking because I'd like to
narrow up the field before I start running around bugging sellers.

All comments welcomed.
Thanks!
Matt
Old October 31st 04, 10:48 PM
C Kingsbury

IMHO: 140, 172, Tri-P, 175, Stinson.

1. I don't like old airplanes
2. I don't like oddball engines
3. I don't like fabric
4. I prefer common makes/models

Don't get me wrong, if I hit the lottery I'm buying a Staggerwing. But if
we're talking about a low-cost fly-and-forget bird the PA-28-140 seems a
pretty clear winner. $35k is enough to get a nice one, perhaps even basic
IFR (in case you want to get your ticket someday) and will be very easy to
own.

The only ones I'd be really leery of are the Stinson and the 175, mainly
because of the engines. The O-320 is one of the best engines made and every
mechanic in the world knows how to fix one. If hangars are cheap where you
are then fabric needn't be a big concern but where I am they cost $400/mo
and I ain't leaving a fabric bird outside in New England year-round.

Are you really sure about the 3-person/4-hour requirement? That's a real
long time for somebody to be in the backseat of any of these planes. Frankly
that's a long time to be in the front seat, too, at least for me

-cwk.

om...

Old October 31st 04, 11:06 PM
G.R. Patterson III

psyshrike wrote:

Howdy,

My Requirements:
3 Humans, 4 hours, VFR, ~ 100 knots.

You might find an older 180hp Maule for that price. In fact, the 160hp MX-7 will do
this job if those are FAA adults with little luggage. Mine carries 806 pounds and
holds 43 gallons, giving me a useful load of 548 pounds with the tanks full.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 31st 04, 11:10 PM
jls

"psyshrike" wrote in message
om...
Howdy,

My Requirements:
3 Humans, 4 hours, VFR, ~ 100 knots.

Put these in order of preference:

Piper Tri Pacer:
Pros: Low acquisition Cost, Tri gear
Cons: Often neglected. Ground Handling, old panel, parts support.

Stinson 108-x:
Pros: Most beautifull of the bunch, good performance.
Cons: Conventional gear, old panel, parts support.

Cessna 175 GO-300
Pros: Aluminum, tri-gear, it's a Cessna.
Cons: Short engine lifespan, parts support, old panel.

Square Tailed Cessna 172 (as in 58-59 models)
Pros: Aluminum, tri-gear, it's a Cessna
Cons: Probably more AD's than a 737, old panel

Am I ever in love with the 172! I have worked on several of them and been
in on the restoration of two, both of which I fly regularly. These are
just wonderful airplanes and great for flying locally or cross-country.
No, not that many AD's, and I love those old O-300 engines and the 150-horse
Lycoming. The nose-gear struts are miracles of engineering, and I always
look forward to rebuilding one--- at least six O-rings in that sucker. As a
matter of fact there's not one system on a 172 that's not fun and easy to
work on, except having to change out the O-rings in the fuel valve. Where
in the hell is the weak spot on a 172? There just isn't a weak spot.
Take care of one, treat it against corrosion, keep it hangared if you can,
know how to pamper it and keep your engine happy, and it will last you 20
years, guaranteed.

There is nothing wrong with your other choices. I respect them too, but
they can't hold a candle to a 172.

You're going to love how it flies too, and how versatile it is in short
fields and out in the bush. Don't get me started. I'm just about to jump
up and shout.

Old October 31st 04, 11:34 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
psyshrike wrote:

My Requirements:
3 Humans, ...

Square Tailed Cessna 172 (as in 58-59 models)
Piper Cherokee 140

There's a big difference there in terms of comfort for the third passenger
and room for baggage. Have you been in a 140? It's a lot tighter than
a 180.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 31st 04, 11:41 PM

Tripacer is the most bang for your buck.
under valued and better performance than the 140 or the 172.
I don't understand why most people are afraid of fabric airplanes.

Dave

Ben Jackson wrote:
In article ,
psyshrike wrote:

My Requirements:
3 Humans, ...

Old November 1st 04, 02:33 AM
Darrel Toepfer

psyshrike wrote:

Howdy,

My Requirements:
3 Humans, 4 hours, VFR, ~ 100 knots.

Grumman/American General AA-5/A Traveller/Cheeta. Newer than most those
you favor, probably better equipped as well...

Put these in order of preference:

Piper Tri Pacer:
Pros: Low acquisition Cost, Tri gear
Cons: Often neglected. Ground Handling, old panel, parts support.

Stinson 108-x:
Pros: Most beautifull of the bunch, good performance.
Cons: Conventional gear, old panel, parts support.

Both of these are well supported by UniVair, both were available in
metalized form via STC's...
Old November 1st 04, 05:44 AM
Bruce Cunningham

(psyshrike) wrote in message . com...
[...]

You might want to look at the 68 Cardinal. If 3 people is all you
require, then it will haul it. They are maligned birds by many but are
good as long as you fly them within that envelope. The 3 person max
will do that. They have tremendous interior room, fly great, and are
maybe the best looking singles around. I don't think most of the bad
talk is justified, as I own a 69 model (180 HP). I absolutely love it.
With a little practice, they land great. They just don't land or fly
like a Skyhawk, just different. A 150 HP VFR 68 can be bought for 35
if you look hard. If you do and later decide you want more
performance, you can upgrade the 150 to 160 HP and add a Powerflow
exhaust for a lot less than trading in for new bird. Several I know
have done this, and they perform almost like 180 HP models.

Bruce
N30464
Old November 1st 04, 03:22 PM
C Kingsbury

wrote in message news:4Lehd.349231$D%.124138@attbi_s51...
Tripacer is the most bang for your buck.
under valued and better performance than the 140 or the 172.
I don't understand why most people are afraid of fabric airplanes.

Well, this person lives in a place where hangars cost $400+/month after
you've waited 5 years to get into one. After seeing what New England winters
do to my new car I'll be damned if I'm keeping a fabric plane outside.

-cwk.

Dream Airplane poll Bob Babcock Home Built 39 December 24th 04 02:20 AM
T Bird - ZackGSD Home Built 1 December 15th 03 01:47 PM
Tying down the bird david whitley Owning 17 September 23rd 03 03:57 AM
Bird control David Naugler Aviation Marketplace 7 September 22nd 03 03:40 PM