Weird Flying Experience

Old May 9th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Weird Flying Experience

Yesterday I went flying down the lakeshore. Given my direction of
travel, to see the interesting stuff I had to sit on the *right*. So
after takeoff I just slid over and flew on the right. I all my
hundreds of hours of flying I've never flown from that seat. It was a
very weird experience.

I did go back on the left for landing.

Anyone else have a weird-and-fun-but-safe thing they've done recently.

-Kitplane01
Who is obvioulsy not an instructor

Old May 9th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flying from the right is something everyone should put in enough time
at that they can take off, fly the pattern, and land from the right
side... After all, every CFI has to pass a commercial level test from
that side... It's just a matter of practice...

denny

Old May 9th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
Yesterday I went flying down the lakeshore. Given my direction of
travel, to see the interesting stuff I had to sit on the *right*. So
after takeoff I just slid over and flew on the right. I all my
hundreds of hours of flying I've never flown from that seat. It was a
very weird experience.

I did go back on the left for landing.

Anyone else have a weird-and-fun-but-safe thing they've done recently.

-Kitplane01
Who is obvioulsy not an instructor

Haven't tried flying in the right seat in a ffw yet, but have done it
in the helo many times. When I was in Thailand last, I drove myself
around (they drive on the oposite side their) from the right seat and
the car was a stick shift. Took a few minutes to get used to, but I
found it not to be a problem, except at the intersections. I found
myself going from left lane to right lane at the intersections for the
first two or three after that, it was almost second nature. I drove
myself for a few weeks while their. When I came back to the US, I was
back to 'normal' right away, didn't try to go into the left lane at the
intersections or nothing.

The gauges on the car are arranged the same right in front of me, only
that I must shift with the left hand as opposed to the right hand. I
suppose flying from the right seat, the panel will look very different
and unfamiliar, also in the car the W/B is not as important.

The Monk

Old May 9th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-05-09, Denny wrote:
Flying from the right is something everyone should put in enough time
at that they can take off, fly the pattern, and land from the right
side... After all, every CFI has to pass a commercial level test from
that side... It's just a matter of practice...

I would preface that statement 'with an instructor'. Obviously however, that
depends on the experience level and proficiency of the person. I have two
retired married friends in their 70's, both pilots who I gave instruction
for their private certificates. I decided that being able to land from the
right in the event of health problems with the other would be a good idea.
For someone who has never tried to land from the right, it can be a very
awkward and even 'eventful' happening with the change in perspective during
the landing process.

Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been, there you long to
return."-da Vinci http://bellsouthpwp2.net/e/d/edwinljohnson
Old May 9th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message
ups.com...

Charles Talleyrand wrote:
[...]

The real clincher flying right seat for me was trying to find that elusive
centerline all over again. I remember as a private student i had a hard
time figuring out how to land on the centerline, i was consistantly left of
it. Going in to CFI i had that problem all over again.. only this time
consistantly RIGHT of centerline. Tended to flare a bit higher then usual
the first few landings, but it all fell into place within about 3 hours or
so. The instrument perspective isn't all that bad. There is a bit of a
"Parallax" error as the FAA calls it where what you see indicated can be a
few degrees off form what the left seat sees, but its not a superbig issue.
Its also nice being the one sitting close to the door! (can't stand piper's
"feature" of one door on the wrong side of the airplane.) Strange tho... I
have nearly 350 hours of experience in the left seat, and about 150 from the
right.... have NO desiere to go back to the left seat any time soon....
untill i get that jet job and upgrade to captain or something.... Went down
to another airport to recover an aircraft after a magneto replacement....
first time to fly without a student in a while.... Flew from the right....
feels more natural to me now for some reason.