Want to talk with Butterfly vario + PowerFlarm people

Old July 8th 13, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc - Butterfly Avionics

Default Want to talk with Butterfly vario + PowerFlarm people

We are actually planning to implement further features into the FLARM screen in one of the next versions, however we will be very careful with this.

The problem for us is that Butterfly Vario is a variometer. It always has been and still is our philosophy to have separate devices for separate tasks.. The main reason Butterfly Vario has a FLARM Interface is the audio warning capability it has and to have the ability to mix voice-warning-audio with vario-audio.

For visual traffic warnings a dedicated display located on top of the panel makes dramatically more sense than a vario that switches screens and represents additional distracting information together with a warning.

A similar thing is navigation. We know that it makes sense to have redundant navigation systems (not only for people flying desert regions or in Africa), therefore we implemented a rudimentary but easy to use navigation page. We will certainly refine this function but we will not enhance the navigation features of our variometer to an extend where it replaces a glide computer.

Makes sense? We are of course open for discussions on this.

Best regards
Marc

Old July 8th 13, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you, Marc, for your explanation.

Speaking for myself, my panel is very small (LS-8). I am looking for maximum efficiency in use of space and maximum utility of each instrument. I would respectfully point out that the Flarm display having both a voice feature and switching screens will absolutely bring the attention of the pilot on the risk of collision. Also, the pilot's eyes, when inside the cockpit, will be on the vario (whether in climb or cruise) the majority of the time so the Flarm display will be where the pilot's eyes are most concentrated. Since the vario and speed to fly remain present as a side bar to the Flarm display it makes for very efficient use of the space and again, keeps the pilot's eyes in a more limited area of the cockpit.

As for your hope that the dedicated Flarm display would be at the top of the glareshield...I see many installations where the Flarm display is on the side rail of the canopy or on a RAM arm on the side of the panel. Since varios are more typically installed near the top of the panel so that they are as close as possible to our line of sight for flying, the screen is much closer to your ideal than many of the current Flarm displays.

Thank you for your attention to all the comments made on this forum.

Guy Acheson "DDS"

Old July 8th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 5:51:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I am contemplating a new panel. The Butterfly Vario looks like a very feature dense instrument that also works as a PowerFlarm display. I would like to talk with people who have both systems installed.

Guy "DDS"

Marc, here is a suggestions for improving the overall usefulness of the vario with a very small improvement in the basic navigation functions. I have read in the past that you do not wish to make the BF Vario a navigation flight computer and I understand and agree as the BF is really fantastic just as a vario. But, since it is necessary to use the navigation functions to set all destinations for glide calculations, a very useful and important function of your vario, it would be of great to be able to pre-store some waypoints for quick recall. Even my old CAI system gave me the option of quickly recalling back the previous destination. This is such an incredible inconvenience having to fumble through the alphabet selection process to put in your next turn point or final glide destination. The current process takes my eyes off the sky for an extended period which I consider an unacceptable safety issue. Just give me a page, "in English please" to preset maybe at most 10 waypoints. I could then get to these and quickly select them in flight. Put this above or below the nearest airport in the menu screen. On a more personal note, my BF Vario is connected to an Oudie running SeeYou. Can you provide me the correct configurations settings for both the BF Vario and Oudie to talk to each other? Currently I can only confirm that the Oudie is getting GPS data from the BF. I would like to set a destination in the Vario and have it show up in the Oudie and vice versa. If this already exists please post it for all to use.
Old July 8th 13, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, July 8, 2013 12:38:19 AM UTC-7, Marc - Butterfly Avionics wrote:
[...]

I'm fine with the navigation functions. A PDA and a choice of software provide all of the functions I need. I would like to see a safety altitude feature, so that the glide slope indicated on the Vario would match every other instrument as this leads to some confusion.

However I would like to see Flarm functions expanded. The idea that separate tasks require separate instruments assumes unlimited panel space. I do not have room for a dedicated traffic display, so the choice for me is Flarm displayed on the vario or no Flarm displayed at all. I agree heartily with what DDS says above. I cannot see it as a distraction if, along with the audio warning, I get a Flarm screen with the important information in the instrument I look at most, and the one that is talking to me. This could be optional, turned off for those who have a dedicated traffic display (and for whom it might be a distraction). The one screen that is essential is the warning screen showing direction and altitude. I note that the V7 does exactly this. Other screens tracking traffic for situational awareness or leeching can be (and are better) displayed on the navigational PDA display.

Can you tell me, how is a Flarm warning displayed on iGlide?