OLC US Airfields

Old April 22nd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC US Airfields

One thing that's new in the OLC this year is tracking of flights by
takeoff location. This is a great feature that lets people see results
summarized by takeoff location. It's a useful tool for scouting soaring
sites, or just seeing how people fly in different places.

It is also a critical component of the OLC League scoring, because
league flights are only scored if they depart from your club's
designated home airfield. Unfortunately there are many airports in the
US with similar names, and these names have to be abbreviated to fit in
the OLC format.

There have been a number of flights claimed for the wrong airport in
the SSA-OLC this year. Airports that have been a problem include Byron,
Mifflin, Warner, Williams, etc. We have added the state abbreviation to
airport names known to cause confusion to make them more distinctive.
If you find any other airfiield names confusing, send a note to
olcatssadotorg, and we'll fix them.

Please check your OLC flight claims to make sure you have the correct
airport name, inclluding the state abbreviation if applicable.
Otherwise, your flight will not be scored for your club in the OLC
League starting next week.

For more info check the SSA-OLC site:

http://www.ssa.org/members/contestreports/OLC.htm

Old April 22nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The takeoff location is a great idea but it is not much of a use since you
can't click on the airfield to see the flights, all you can see is the
totals. The airfield should be made a link.

Ramy

oups.com...

Old April 23rd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Maybe I am missing something, but how exactly can we use the takeoff
location to see flights by airfield? I asked the olc team about it back in
November and got a reply that they are still working on it...

Ramy

. net...

Old April 23rd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You cannot see all flights summarized by airfeld yet. But you can scout
a location by identifying a club or clubs that fly from a particular
airfield, and then access the club scoring for the club. You will have
to select the flights manually from the list. It's not the ideal
situation, but way better than what we had before (nothing).

Old April 23rd 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

But this is exactly what we had before - flights by club. The airfield was
also included before. The only difference this year is that you can see
totals by airfield, but this is not very useful if you can not drill down to
the flights. However I just found out a way to see flights by airfield for a
particular day or month, but not all year - by clicking on the checkbox on
the left then clicking on the change button. This will bring down additional
selection boxes, including airfield. But this is very, very unintuitive!