Headliner replacement

Old May 17th 05, 10:06 PM
Jim Burns

Default Headliner replacement

I've been following Mike Spera's posts about refurbishing the interior of
his Cherokee and have some questions about replaceing a headliner.

The headliner in our Aztec has several zippers, some of which don't work and
a couple of which are ripped out causeing air leaks and cold drafts. During
our annual next month we plan on removeing the plastic window trim pieces
for some paint and polish and as long as we have them out, I'm wondering how
hard it is to replace the headliner. For just a few hundred bucks we can
get a new one from Airtex that would definately fix the drafts and dress up
the interior. It would also give us a good reason to snoop underneith it
and inspect the cables, pulleys, and air vents more closely.

Has anybody tackled it? What's involved? How many hours?

Thanks again,

Jim

Old May 18th 05, 02:17 AM
Mike Spera

Jim,

You may want to call Airtex and ask to talk to the folks "in the
hangar". They do this stuff all day and can give you an answer as to
process, time required, and difficulty.

Good Luck,
Mike

Old May 18th 05, 02:08 PM
Denny

Friends don't let friends change a head liner... Buy it from Airtex
and pay the local auto upholstery shop to do the change out... Both you
and they will be happier in the end...

denny

Old May 18th 05, 02:20 PM
Jim Burns

Oh man.... that sounds like there is an interesting story in there
somewhere!! Come on Denny, let's hear it!!
Jim

ups.com...

Old May 18th 05, 04:50 PM
Paul kgyy

I hear it's a little like hanging wallpaper - takes 2 persons, and
can't be a spouse if you want your marriage to continue unimpaired. We
did have friends that resolved the wallpaper problem - he did the
hanging and she did the pasting and she was not allowed in the hanging
room - had to pass the paper through a door from an adjoining room. I
don't think this works for headliners.

Old May 18th 05, 08:50 PM
Ron Natalie

Denny wrote:
Friends don't let friends change a head liner... Buy it from Airtex
and pay the local auto upholstery shop to do the change out... Both you
and they will be happier in the end...

Margy did the Navion headliner with Airtex materials. Nice thing
about the Navion is you can just pull the canopy off and flip it over
while you're doing the work. The only bear was getting the hat
shelf that's attached to the back of the canopy on and off.
Old May 19th 05, 03:28 PM
Clay

I did a C-205 several years ago with an Airtex headliner. I did all
the work by myself. Would have been easier with two but one person can
do it without too much problem.
The key is finding and marking the centerline of the new headliner.