Final Glide - Udo Rumpf

Old December 17th 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

Default Final Glide - Udo Rumpf

Udo always had the best post-flight stories at the end of the race
day. Truely one-of-a-kind gentleman.

Good finsh ET ...

Curt - 95
Old December 17th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A sad loss to Soaring and of course to Linda his wife . Udo put as
much into Soaring as he got out . His desire to understand what
improvements were possible and his great workmanship in applying those
findings to modifying / refinishing his gliders and making the rigging
aids he developed and sold were proof of his skills . No doubt he
loved to fly too.
We'll all miss you Udo , beginning at the next "Seniors "

Old December 17th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Dec 17, 8:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

Never met but shared some e-mail and forum exchanges over the years
covering ground launching and turbulator placement on Wortmann
airfoils.

He clearly loved soaring.

Frank Whiteley
Old December 17th 10, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Many years ago, when I started using the term "Resourceful Builder,"
complete with proper-noun capitalization, it was Udo I originally had
in mind. If a thing could be built in the home workshop, Udo would
figure out how to do it. I will miss him very much.

Bob K.
Old December 18th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank[_12_]

On Dec 17, 10:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

I had the pleasure of knowing Udo from the Seniors and other contests
we shared. Always a gentleman, he always had that spark in his eyes
that made talking with him a pleasure. Udo's passing is a loss for
soaring, on both sides of the border.

TA
Old December 18th 10, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

I have flown many Region 3 Contests with Udo and always enjoyed his
stories.
His wife Linda crewed with at every contest and truly enjoyed crewing.
I remember both
of them at the 2006 Region 3 Contest in Glens Falls, NY, where I was
the CD. The day we
got "tthrown" out of the airport Udo and Linda was quoted in the
newspaper (with their photo on the front page) as saying we will never
be back to
Glens Falls where they treat soaring pilots like that. Interestingly
Udo was the only one to
complete the task that day.

A great guy that truly will be missed.

Tim Hanke
"H"

Old December 18th 10, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Dec 18, 8:47*am, Tim Hanke wrote:
[...]

Very sad news. Udo always had a smile and a story.
QT
Old December 18th 10, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Dec 17, 10:08*am, jsbrake wrote:
Posted this morning on the Soaring Association of Canada forum:
----------------
It is with a heavy heart that I have to report that Udo Rumpf passed
away last night. He had been battling cancer for the last few years
and fought hard to beat it. Unfortunately, various treatments were not
successful. I will let you know about funeral arrangements in the next
day or so.

Ulli Werneburg

---------------

A wonderful gentleman has left us.

Sad news, indeed!
I met Udo at several contests at Casear Creek, OH. It was always a
pleasure to talk to him after the day's task. He was also an active
contributor to the winch/ground launch discussion groups and we
exchanged many e-mails on this subject. Truely a man of many talents
and sharp mind.
Udo, may you find the endless cloudstreet!
Uli Neumann
'GM'
Old December 18th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Here is a nice picture of Udo sitting in his homebuilt Super HP-18.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/St...iors/Udo_2.jpg

Wayne