Weight saving exercise.

Old March 28th 05, 07:39 PM
Fortunat1

"Morgans" :

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:46:36 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

Isn't it true that most pros use TIG to weld aluminum? A good aluminum

TIG
weld is a work of art. Can gas welding make as beautiful a fillet as

TIG?

How do you supposed aluminum was welded before TIG was invented? They
used a torch. It just takes practice.

Corky Scott

How long has TIG been around?

Here ya go.

http://www.welding.com/history_of_welding2.shtml
Old March 28th 05, 11:54 PM
Morgans

"Corky Scott" wrote

He actually prefers to weld aluminum sheet using a torch, instead of
Tig. He sells special goggles for the purpose too.

Corky Scott

What alloy and thickness would you recommend to experiment with, simulating
building a tank, and what filler material?

I'm the kind of guy that loves to learn how to do new things, even if I
never use it. ;-)

A tig rig I don't have, but a torch, I do have!
--
Jim in NC

Old March 29th 05, 04:34 AM
Roger

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:46:36 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Highflyer" wrote

It isn't all that bad, Rich. I use the same Smith torch and tanks for
aluminum as for steel. Use an aluminum flux and soft aluminum filler rod.
I would use a cheap spot welder to tack in the baffles. They work great

on
aluminum.

Isn't it true that most pros use TIG to weld aluminum? A good aluminum TIG
weld is a work of art. Can gas welding make as beautiful a fillet as TIG?

Better... But certainly not by me.

There was an article in ... I think it was Sport Aviation, or
KitPlanes about a year or so back. The TIG welds looked really good
until you looked at what they did with a torch.

I tried gas welding (or soldering) with a cheap torch with some of that
"miracle rod" quite a few years back before I was interested in building
planes, or really, even welding. The results were horrid. I'll have to

Bout echoes my experience.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

give it a try with some proper rod and stock, now that I have a good torch.
What size tip, by the way? (Smith)

Old March 29th 05, 01:51 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:54:43 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

What alloy and thickness would you recommend to experiment with, simulating
building a tank, and what filler material?

I'm the kind of guy that loves to learn how to do new things, even if I
never use it. ;-)

A tig rig I don't have, but a torch, I do have!

You need to talk to da man. Go to http://www.tinmantech.com/ and
ask Kent White your questions. He'll be happy to respond.

His goggles are not cheap, but may be the best in the industry.

Corky Scott

more radial fans like fw190? jt Military Aviation 51 August 28th 04 04:22 AM
Dutch Roll SelwayKid Piloting 31 June 19th 04 11:43 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM
Empty/Gross weight Vs. Max. Pilot weight Flyhighdave Soaring 13 January 14th 04 04:20 AM