What camera for pictures from a glider cockpit?

Old December 7th 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What camera for pictures from a glider cockpit?

I'd like to replace my current digital camera with one better suited to
pictures from my glider, but I'm having difficulty finding one with the
features I want. Perhaps someone has solved my problem already, or at
least has a way of finding a suitable camera without days of downloading
brochures and camera manuals.

Here's what I think the ideal in-cockpit camera must have:

* Focal length: minimum 28-100 mm (35 mm equivalent) optical range
* Pixels: 4 mp (gives 2 mp with cropping to 140 mm lens equivalent)
* Viewfinder: minimum 2.5" sunlight visible LCD AND with good
visibility from the side
* Shutter lag: 0.5 second after pressing button
* Shutter: Continuous mode for at least 10 pictures
* focusing: Auto plus Manual (or settable at infinity)

Here is what would be really nice, in addition:

* Size: small and light enough to put in a pocket
* Anti-shake lens

But wait, there's more!

I'd also like to get a camera that can be attached to the outside of the
glider (wing, tail, etc). Here is what I think it must have:

* Focal length: minimum 28-100 mm (35 mm equivalent) optical range
* pixels: 4 mp (gives 2 mp with cropping to 140 mm lens equivalent)
* It must not turn itself off automatically! It's OK if an external
battery is required to achieve this.
* Wireless remote shutter actuation
* Shutter lag: .5 second
* Focusing: manual or settable at infinity
* Battery life: at least three hours and 50 pictures, external
battery OK if needed

Here is what would be very nice, in addition:

* Remote zoom control
* Battery life: 6+ hours
* Size: small and light
* wireless transmission of a reduced image to a cockpit display
(Bluetooth to an Ipaq?)

The greatest happiness would be one camera that can do both jobs, and
maybe there is one out there that can. New digital camera models seems
appear at a one-a-day rate, minimum.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 7th 05, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You left out the integrated GPS interface to your Bluetooth logger for
geo-locating each shot, and the integrated cell phone to call you with
that location when it falls off the wing...

Full circle now... back to cameras for flight claims perhaps?

Tongue firmly in cheek.....

Old December 7th 05, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Actually, there is flight viewing software from a couple of years ago
that would tie together the time stamp on the digital camera to your
flight logs. thereby allowing you to see the pictures taken at a
particular point in your flight.

Don't remember which software it was though.

Larry

"01" USA

oups.com:

Old December 7th 05, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
You left out the integrated GPS interface to your Bluetooth logger for
geo-locating each shot, and the integrated cell phone to call you with
that location when it falls off the wing...

Wouldn't you just use an ELT (Equipment Locator Beacon) or PLB
(Photographic Locator Beacon) for that purpose? Hmmm, maybe a logger
with a camera in it, so it supplies a picture of the pilot that is
flying the glider, and of the glider itself, so we won't need official
observers anymore?

Actually, I think my requirements for a cockpit camera are few, mainly a
wide angle lens for better scenery pictures, and an LCD that is
practical for aiming the camera at another glider in flight. I think
that feature will make it air-to-air pictures easier and safer.

The externally mounted camera has different requirements, and the
biggest one is that it doesn't turn itself off. My old 35 mm SLR cameras
didn't do that, but it's become a common feature in "consumer" cameras,
even in film cameras before digital became common. I'm not dedicated
enough to buy one of the expensive, large, heavy, professional cameras
that pilots like Chris Woods use, so I'm hoping there is compromise out
there somewhere.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 7th 05, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric Greenwell wrote:
I'd like to replace my current digital camera with one better suited to
pictures from my glider, but I'm having difficulty finding one with the
features I want.

snip Eric's fantasy :-)

Make sure what ever you get can accept a polarizing filter to get rid of
canopy reflections.

I've had a Canon Rebel XT for a few months now. It comes no where near
your size requirements but it's easy to use and takes fantastic
pictures. BTW, Canon makes an IS lens that fits it. If the technology
in the lenses is the same as Canon's IS binocs, it would be worth the
bucks IMO.
I've used these for hand-held star gazing. Amazing
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...mode lid=8168

Shawn
Old December 7th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shawn wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

I'd like to replace my current digital camera with one better suited
to pictures from my glider, but I'm having difficulty finding one with
the features I want.

snip Eric's fantasy :-)

I believe a camera with a modest wide angle and daylight visible LCD
monitor is out there, but with hundreds of models available and ads that
don't mention these features, it's time consuming to find it

Make sure what ever you get can accept a polarizing filter to get rid of
canopy reflections.

I like this idea. I'll try a filter on my present camera next flight,
even though I'll have to tape it on.

I've had a Canon Rebel XT for a few months now. It comes no where near
your size requirements but it's easy to use and takes fantastic
pictures. BTW, Canon makes an IS lens that fits it. If the technology
in the lenses is the same as Canon's IS binocs, it would be worth the
bucks IMO.

There are plenty of cameras that take great pictures, and I have used a
large, heavy camera in the glider, but I'm not willing to do it anymore.
Camera technology has improved so much, and some of the cameras I've
looked at are so close to being acceptable, I remain optimistic. The
difficult feature for the smaller cameras seems to be the minimum focal
length (wide angle). Big zooms must be easier to achieve.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 7th 05, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric Greenwell wrote:

There are plenty of cameras that take great pictures, and I have used a
large, heavy camera in the glider, but I'm not willing to do it anymore.
Camera technology has improved so much, and some of the cameras I've
looked at are so close to being acceptable, I remain optimistic. The
difficult feature for the smaller cameras seems to be the minimum focal
length (wide angle). Big zooms must be easier to achieve.

Forgot to mention this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

It has tons of info about many new digital cameras.

Shawn
Old December 7th 05, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've been using a Minolta Z1. It is a decent camera,
but not for airwork. It is a tiny bit bulky, it does
have a large zoom factor, and it does have a view finder.
I've yet to see an LCD screen that I can see in bright
sunlight; this is where I require a viewfinder. I
have the digital zoom turned off, but the view through
the viewfinder is terribly grainy. I didn't discover
this until I flew with it long after I bought it.
Be sure you have a good optical viewfinder for airwork.

Old December 7th 05, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shawn wrote:

Eric Greenwell wrote:

There are plenty of cameras that take great pictures, and I have used
a large, heavy camera in the glider, but I'm not willing to do it
anymore. Camera technology has improved so much, and some of the
cameras I've looked at are so close to being acceptable, I remain
optimistic. The difficult feature for the smaller cameras seems to be
the minimum focal length (wide angle). Big zooms must be easier to
achieve.

Forgot to mention this site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp

It has tons of info about many new digital cameras.

Brilliant! Just what I was hoping for (life is good).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old December 7th 05, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In article ,
Eric Greenwell wrote:

There are plenty of cameras that take great pictures, and I have used a
large, heavy camera in the glider, but I'm not willing to do it anymore.
Camera technology has improved so much, and some of the cameras I've
looked at are so close to being acceptable, I remain optimistic. The
difficult feature for the smaller cameras seems to be the minimum focal
length (wide angle). Big zooms must be easier to achieve.

Fuji seem to be the only company that care about wide angle in compact
cameras. I love my old Fujifilm DL-Super Mini Zoom 35mm film camera,
which has a very nice 28-56mm zoom lens, and I bought my current Fuji
e500 4 megapixel digital camera pretty much because of the 28-90mm
(equiv) zooom lens and the manual controls. Fortunately it also happens
to be an excellent camera, but is usually hijacked by my g/f. You can
see pics she takes with it at
http://www.canllaith.org/Canllaiths_gallery/ (all except the "South
Island" gallary, which was an older Sony).

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Refinish a Glider in Europe Jim Culp Soaring 4 November 19th 05 08:21 PM
Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM