Will the new government have any effect on GA?

Old November 16th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Will the new government have any effect on GA?

Skylune writes:

Sorry all, for the brief return visit. MX's allusion to Orwell's book
might work a bit better had it not been for the 9/11/01 terrorist
attacks, which were not illusory to those of us who worked in NYC at
the time.

Those attacks were much more damaging psychologically than in any
other way, which was precisely the intent. Terrorists don't have the
means to do much real damage, so they have to settle for spectacular
and isolated incidents and rely on the resulting hysteria to do their
work for them. If they had the means to do real damage themselves,
they'd be military forces, not terrorists. Organizations with
established military forces don't need terrorists.

And for the very real terrorist attacks going on elsewhere,
every day.

How many terrorist attacks have there been in the United States since
2001?

Comparing the current state of affairs to the book, "1984," where all
these fictitious wars against Eurasia and Eastasia, is kind of weird.

I wish that were true.

Funny that a guy from France talks about freedom of speech, when over
there the politicians are more afraid of offending Islamists than even
the Democrats here.

The flavors of censorship are different, but the trends are
unfortunately the same. But the people are kept afraid, so that they
never question the loss of liberty.

Old November 16th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tabor

On 14 Nov 2006 16:18:53 -0800, "Marc Adler"
wrote:

I don't know how you can blame the Democrats since all three branches
of govt were dominated by Republicans.

To be fair, the GOP only really controlled the executive branch. That
being President Bush.

In the Congress, the GOP did control the House, but has never had a
working majority in the Senate. They did get to chair committees, but
there were always enough RINOS (Republicans In Name Only) like Snow,
Chafee, Hagel and others on any issue to prevent a successful
legislative agenda in Congress.

Likewise, thought a majority of the Justices on the Supreme Court were
appointed by Republicans, most were confirmed by Democrat controlled
Senates and previous Presidents didn't even try, after Bork, to
appoint a Justice who stuck to original intent in interpreting the
Constitution as that does not pass the Democrat litmus test on Roe V
Wade. (You could argue whether the principles of Roe are correct, but
there is no rational argument that the decision was not legislation
from the bench) So, in effect, only Scalia, Thomas, Alito and Roberts
are Justices as the GOP would choose them. The rest are either far
left liberals like Ginsburg or White or RINO justices like Souter and
Kennedy. There has never been an original intent Supreme Court in our
lifetimes.

So, the GOP has its sins to pay for, but to claim they ever had a free
hand to implement their policies is ludicrous.

Don

Virginia - the only State with a flag rated
"R" for partial nudity and graphic violence.
Old November 16th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Don Tabor posted:

wrote:

I don't know how you can blame the Democrats since all three branches
of govt were dominated by Republicans.

To be fair, the GOP only really controlled the executive branch. That
being President Bush.

[...]

So, the GOP has its sins to pay for, but to claim they ever had a free
hand to implement their policies is ludicrous.

Just whose policies _were_ implemented, given that the Democrats couldn't
even get their policies presented for a vote? Get real.

Neil

Old November 16th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
DonSideB

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:58:52 GMT, "Neil Gould"
wrote:

So, the GOP has its sins to pay for, but to claim they ever had a free
hand to implement their policies is ludicrous.

Just whose policies _were_ implemented, given that the Democrats couldn't
even get their policies presented for a vote? Get real.

No one's policies got implemented. Hardly anything at all has gotten
done other than bipartisan pork barrel spending.

Go ahead, name one major domestic program change since the original
tax cuts.

Social Security Reform died. Renewed offshore and inshore oil
exploration blocked. Medicare reform replaced by a prescription drug
program that was more than the GOP wanted but less than they feared
Dems might get if they didn't pass it. Fundamental tax reform studied
to death and nothing done.

The last 4 years have been little more than housekeeping with no major
programs advanced beyond committee.

Don

DonSideB

Build a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day,
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Old November 16th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
t...
Recently, Don Tabor posted:

wrote:

I don't know how you can blame the Democrats since all three branches
of govt were dominated by Republicans.

To be fair, the GOP only really controlled the executive branch. That
being President Bush.

[...]

So, the GOP has its sins to pay for, but to claim they ever had a free
hand to implement their policies is ludicrous.

Just whose policies _were_ implemented, given that the Democrats couldn't
even get their policies presented for a vote? Get real.

Neil

A *******ization of the two which is pretty much what our government has
been since, well, forever.

Old November 16th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:

[...]

And this is a good thing. For an even better example look at the majority of
the Clinton administration. Dem in the White House and a mixed Congress.
Nothing major got passed and no one was really worried about anything
getting passed. The country had a great time and rode the dot com bubble for
about as long as any bubble could ever hold together.

Let's face it, the country is 276 years old do we really need any more laws?

Old November 16th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tabor

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:40:37 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

Let's face it, the country is 276 years old do we really need any more laws?

Yes, HR 25

Don

Old November 16th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"Don Tabor" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:40:37 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote:

Let's face it, the country is 276 years old do we really need any more
laws?

Yes, HR 25

Don

Don't hold your breath.

Old November 16th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Isn't that the Fair Tax bill?

Old November 16th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:40:37 -0600, Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Let's face it, the country is 276 years old do we really need any more
laws?

It's what I've been saying for a long time -- laws should automatically
expire after a year and the politicians should have to debate and pass
them again if they want them to be renewed... At the very least, it should
keep them busy enough that only the important ones are kept around and
they have less time to come up with new bull**** ones... Sometimes, the
best thing that the legislature can do is do nothing...

--
"Is it possible for the voices in my head to use email from now on?"