Fuel Drip Containment

Old October 27th 03, 06:12 PM
Montblack

("David Lesher" wrote)
It might be interesting to take a container with some small quantity
of gas-damp kitty litter and ignite it safely -- ie well clear of
any burnable stuph and with a 6' pole to set it off.

Jim is "out there" in California.

He might want to hold off on the kitty litter fire, until the other fires
are put out.

--
Montblack

Old October 27th 03, 06:19 PM
Montblack

("G.R. Patterson III" wrote)
You forgot - he's gonna fill it with fuel cell foam. :-)

.....after he puts a cement weight in the bottom of the can!!

--
Montblack

"Styled by the laws of nature.............Concorde"

Old October 27th 03, 06:41 PM
Ron Natalie

"Montblack" wrote in message ...

Whatever you choose, just separate the heating thing from the thermal mass
pan thing.

It isn't clear to me that evaporating the fuel is what you want to do. A coffee can
of liquid fuel is a whole lot better than a enclosed space full of fuel vapor.

Old October 27th 03, 10:15 PM
mikem

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:09:13 -0800, Jim Weir wrote:

Hm. I guess I could rotate the whole airport so that my hangar faces lefthand
UPHILL instead of downhill, but it is going to take a moby-large bulldozer to do
it.

My hangar slopes slightly downward toward the left wing. I just park
my 182L (LR tanks) with the left wheel sitting on a 1/4" x 12" x 6"
chunk of plywood. Even without the plywood, mine only drips if it is
brim full, or if the temperature increases by 40 degrees F or more
since it was fuelled.

It doesn't drip if the temperature drops, or if the fuel level is
below or just even with the bottom of the filler neck, at which point
you can only jam in another 2-3 gallons per side.

MikeM
Skylane '1MM

Old October 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Montblack

("Ron Natalie" wrote)
It isn't clear to me that evaporating the fuel is what you want to do. A

coffee can
of liquid fuel is a whole lot better than a enclosed space full of fuel

vapor.

You're probably right.

There just aren't many airplane projects that start by mixing up a small bag
of Quick-Crete.

Old October 28th 03, 12:38 AM
John Galban

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:ud0nb.38050$Tr4.78719@attbi_s03...
You guyzes is clever. Thanks.

All this, and the solution is a gas can with a funnel stuck in it?

Geez, after this many days, I thought for sure you guys would come up with a
more "Jetson's-like" solution for Jim...

:-)

Well, back when I worked for Spacely Sprockets we used a gas can
with a built-in, nuclear powered, matter disintegrator (with a funnel
stuck in it).

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old October 29th 03, 03:21 PM
Kevin McCue

How about dripping into a coffee can of water w/dishsoap. Should
emulsify and mix w/the water. You could even add the funnel idea into the
plastic lid.

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old October 29th 03, 08:13 PM
Jim Weir

I thought about this one for a while, and thanks to all of you who chimed in.
Between the lot of you, I came up to what is an optimal solution for me.

In the first place, I am clumsy. I can trip over my own shadow. If there was a
way for me to kick a can over and spill all the trapped gasoline, I would.

In the second place, I am one with Ron Natalie who opined that liquid gas is a
hell of a lot safer than gas fumes. The problem then is not to evaporate the
spill, but to contain it.

So down I goes to the local Auto Zone and there staring me in the face is a
small (5 quart) oil change drip pan -- the round "pancake" style. There in the
center of the pancake is a small round "oil drip" hole just made to put a funnel
into.

Viola. Problem solved. You can't kick over something that is a foot in
diameter and 2 inches tall. You have a capped pour spout at the end to pour the
liquid gas into your lawnmower. You could fill it with dishwasher soap and
water to emulsify the fuel if you wished. You could fill it with half a quart
of used oil and let the fuel absorb into the oil with a much lower flash point
and practically zero evaporation.

Thanks to all...

Jim
http://www.rst-engr.com
Old October 29th 03, 10:57 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Jim Weir wrote:
You could fill it with dishwasher soap and
water to emulsify the fuel if you wished.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Fuel Drip Containment -- My Solution Jim Weir Home Built 4 November 1st 03 05:22 AM
Fuel Drip Containment Sven Home Built 28 October 27th 03 10:28 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM