Charity Flight?

Old January 18th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Default Charity Flight?

It seems that I can't get a straight answer from any local experts,
so.........
The local school PTO will be hosting a silent auction with donated
items. We have been asked to donate something.
My wife and I where talking about donating an airiel tour of the school
district. Would it violate any FAR's that anyone can think of if the
school takes money for the flight? I would not be taking money in
anyone's name and all related cost would be paid for by me. As far as
I'm concerned it would be like donating a toaster that I went to the
store and bought. What would be the difference if I went out and paid
for a flight to donate, or just donated my time and the planes time and
expense?
Lou

Old January 18th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Lou wrote:
It seems that I can't get a straight answer from any local experts,
so.........
The local school PTO will be hosting a silent auction with donated
items. We have been asked to donate something.
My wife and I where talking about donating an airiel tour of the
school district. Would it violate any FAR's that anyone can think of
if the school takes money for the flight? I would not be taking money
in anyone's name and all related cost would be paid for by me. As far
as I'm concerned it would be like donating a toaster that I went to
the store and bought. What would be the difference if I went out and
paid for a flight to donate, or just donated my time and the planes
time and expense?
Lou

Google FAA+Charity+Flight brings up this from AOPA
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/charity.html

Old January 18th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

Yea, I've already contacted AOPA, and it really has become a gray area.
Since I'm donating everything and
not taking a dime, it becomes a gift. But on the other hand, someone is
taking money for the gift. Usually
I like gray areas but this seems to be a few shades darker than normal/
Lou

Old January 18th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Lou wrote:
Yea, I've already contacted AOPA, and it really has become a gray
area. Since I'm donating everything and
not taking a dime, it becomes a gift. But on the other hand, someone
is taking money for the gift. Usually
I like gray areas but this seems to be a few shades darker than
normal/ Lou

Well, I've not done any charity flights but the link I posted is clearly
aimed at private pilots.

Old January 18th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Lou wrote:
It seems that I can't get a straight answer from any local experts,
so.........
The local school PTO will be hosting a silent auction with donated
items. We have been asked to donate something.
My wife and I where talking about donating an airiel tour of the school
district. Would it violate any FAR's that anyone can think of if the
school takes money for the flight? I would not be taking money in
anyone's name and all related cost would be paid for by me. As far as
I'm concerned it would be like donating a toaster that I went to the
store and bought. What would be the difference if I went out and paid
for a flight to donate, or just donated my time and the planes time and
expense?

I've done this. You need to do two things...
1) If you do not have a current commercial medical you need to notify
the FSDO in writting before the event including your hours, currency,
etc (all the things the FARs say)
2) After the even you must use AOPA's drug waver form (easy to do ,
fill out online).
3) Make sure the plane either has a current 100 hr or you haven't put
100 hours on it since annual.

-robert

Old January 19th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

Well, I've not done any charity flights but the link I posted is clearly
aimed at private pilots.

The AOPA link seems to be a very clear, step-by-step flow. They even
provide FSDO info and printable forms.

Thanks for the bookmark!
Old January 19th 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/18/2007 1:45:33 PM, "Lou" wrote:

Yea, I've already contacted AOPA, and it really has become a gray area.
Since I'm donating everything and
not taking a dime, it becomes a gift. But on the other hand, someone is
taking money for the gift. Usually
I like gray areas but this seems to be a few shades darker than normal/

Call your FSDO if you have any questions about this. That's what I did when I
wanted to donate a scenic flight tour for a local opera's auction. The FSDO
fully supported it and told me to have fun.

This past year was my fourth year doing it.

--
Peter
Old January 21st 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Slarty Bartfast

Peter is right on track. The regs are somewhat vague and lawerly on
this. We have been providing charity flights for kids for the Make a
Wish Foundation for years. Though there is no financial incentive as
in your case. The only local expert in your case is your local Flight
Standards District Office.