"Rolling" to ATC

Old February 5th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
cavedweller

Default "Rolling" to ATC

On Feb 4, 6:54 pm, Sam Spade wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

What is the name of Dagwood's wife?

Who's Dagwood?

Old February 5th 07, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Feb 5, 12:01 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
However, although it makes sense, pilots are not required to acknowledge or
read back a take off or landing clearance.

I dunno what country you fly in, but I am talking about New Zealand,
and the rules here are obviously somewhat different to wherever you
fly..

On the NZ CAA website, you will find:

Advisory Circular AC 91-9 & AC 172-1

This is from the appropriate section of that document:

4.12 Readback Requirements
4.12.1 A pilot is required to acknowledge receipt of the following ATC
clearances, information or
instructions, which are transmitted by voice, by a full readback
followed by the aircraft callsign:
· ATC route, approach and departure clearances including any amendment
thereof;
· clearances to VFR flights to operate within controlled airspace,
including entering or vacating the
circuit;
· clearances (including conditional clearances) to operate on the
manoeuvring area at a controlled
aerodrome including:
o clearances to land on or take off from the runway-in-use;
o clearances to enter, cross, or backtrack on the runway-in-use;
o instructions to remain on or hold clear of the runway-in-use;
o taxi instructions including a taxi route and holding point where
specified;
· runway-in-use;
· SSR codes;
· level instructions;
· heading and speed instructions;
· altimeter settings; and
· frequency, after frequency change instructions.

This relates to Part 91 of our CAA rules, and is exactly what we were
taught when getting our licenses.

Old February 5th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Mxsmanic wrote:
Casey Wilson writes:

NOTICE!!!!
Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

The current topic is communication with ATC, not flying by the seat of
the pants, and in this context, real aircraft experience is
irrelevant. If you think otherwise, please explain why, specifically.

This is all covered in the FAR/AIM. Let's stop feeding the troll while
he reads up on the subject.
Old February 5th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Feb 5, 12:42 pm, Duncan (NZ) wrote:
In article ,
says...

chris writes:

In this country (NZ) we seem to hear 'rolling' from people who have
been trained at uncontrolled airfields and seem to bring that with
them when flying into controlled airfields. The rest of us don't
generally say it until we get to an uncontrolled airfield..

Do you say anything prior to the take-off? If so, what do you add by
saying "rolling"? (If not, I can understand why you'd say it,
although by the time you _are_ rolling, it's a bit late to warn anyone
who might be in your way.)

At an uncontrolled field, basically what you're up to...

taxi 02
lining up and rolling 02

--
Duncan

Which is what we are supposed to do, although I have been for a very
scary flight in a Cherokee Charger at Raglan where the dude made no
radio calls the whole trip, did no run-up, climbed with the stall
warning lit up the whole way up, on a very very rough day, did his
circuit the wrong direction, then slammed it on the runway and skidded
sideways to a stop. I think he was quite pleased with himself..

Old February 5th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Not required in the States- there are exceptions, such as hold short
instructions.

Old February 5th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Feb 5, 1:31 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
Not required in the States- there are exceptions, such as hold short
instructions.

Sounds a bit dodgy!!!

Old February 5th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary[_2_]

On Feb 4, 6:09 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
This is the way I do it, mostly. If the controller makes it clear
that I must take off immediately, I acknowledge the clearance and also
indicate that I'm actually moving.

That's nice. Of course, in sim-world, when the controller makes it
clear that you must take off immediately, you can walk to the fridge
for a soda, eat a bag of chips, take a nap, annoy people on usenet for
a couple of hours, and then take off...and it won't make a bit of
difference, in the real world.

Old February 5th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stubby writes:

This is all covered in the FAR/AIM.

Is it? Where? I couldn't find any mention of this phrase in the AIM
or FARs.

Old February 5th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

Which is what we are supposed to do, although I have been for a very
scary flight in a Cherokee Charger at Raglan where the dude made no
radio calls the whole trip, did no run-up, climbed with the stall
warning lit up the whole way up, on a very very rough day, did his
circuit the wrong direction, then slammed it on the runway and skidded
sideways to a stop.

So why were you flying with him?

Old February 5th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gary writes:

That's nice. Of course, in sim-world, when the controller makes it
clear that you must take off immediately, you can walk to the fridge
for a soda, eat a bag of chips, take a nap, annoy people on usenet for
a couple of hours, and then take off...and it won't make a bit of
difference, in the real world.

In the world of simulation, the real world doesn't matter. Two
different contexts. And a long delay for take-off in the world of
simulation does make a big difference in that world, exactly as it
does in real life.