USB to Serial Converter

Old February 27th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default USB to Serial Converter

On Feb 26, 9:53 pm, Frank wrote:
On Feb 20, 7:07 pm, RN wrote:

Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10
Thanks
John

I have used a CEFC USB-to-serial adaptor from 'Cables to Go' for at
least 10 years, and it has worked flawlessly on the SN-10, Garmin GPS
units, PDA's and everything in between, with several different
laptops.

Frank (TA)

Thanks Frank - Can you provide a bit more detail, especially which OS
you've used, precise model and part number on packaging and also
from Windows device manager, and I'll update the web page ?
Thanks again,
Best Regards, Dave
Old March 1st 08, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:07:09 -0800, RN wrote:

Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10 Thanks
John

I have a "no name" branded USB/Serial convertor with a "Prolific
Technology PL2303" chipset. (For technically minded it has the
manufacturer/model identifier "067b:2303").

I have used this without any problems with Volkslogger, Flarm and B500
without problems on an HP nx6110 Laptop with both Ubuntu Linux and
Windows XP. (Not all of the above have Linux interface software).

However when I first used under Windows XP I had an issue with the USB/
Serial driver. I had to download another driver that I found on the
Internet, delete all versions of the "tainted" driver on the hard drive
to prevent it from being re-installed, and then install the new driver.

Since the combination has been sorted, I have had no problems at all with
USB/Serial issues.

Regards

Ian
Old March 16th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX

On Feb 20, 5:07 pm, RN wrote:
Can anyone recommend a USB to Serial Converter that works for
communication with with the Ilec SN10
Thanks
John

I have used a Belkin F5U109 to successfully upload waypoint databases
and downloads logger files from my SN10B. Used a Lenov Thinkpad X61S
Windows XP Pro. Just did it last weekend, 3/8/08. The original driver
did not work until I upgraded it from the Belkin web site.

I still wonder how well this arrangement will work to flash the
firmware. Still a little skeptical about that. Paul Remde's
recommendation to use a PC Card with a real serial UART may be a
better answer.

Anyone know if this Belkin F5U109 will flash SN10B firmware OK?

Walt Rogers, WX