Flying from Washington state to Canada

Old June 24th 04, 02:05 AM
Mike Rapoport

Good points! She actually did some research into this and since the griz is
an endangered species there is data. I suppose that there could be
unreported attacks/shootings. The basic problem is that you are talking
about trying to kill a large charging animal and if it doesn't die in about
two seconds then you are going to get mauled. The guides in AK carry 12ga
slug guns. The people familiar with the bears will tell you to carry the
pepper spray. We have Grizzleys here in N. Idaho but I have never seen one
at close range and the ones that I have seen in AK have all been from a
vehicle. I can tell you there is nothing spookier than coming upon a
steaming pile of poop and 16" tracks where there isn't a person for 15
miles! Much scarier than a thunderstorm anyway
..
Mike
MU-2

"Aviv Hod" wrote in
message ...
Mike Rapoport wrote:
FYI According to a friends wife who is an ER doctor, everyone who has

shot
a grizzley bear in self defense in Wyoming with a handgun has been

mauled.

Mike
MU-2

Hmmm... Let's think about this. She's an ER doctor - why would she
ever come in contact with any of the people who were successful at
thwarting an attack?

Just something to think about. Anecdotal evidence can seem very
convincing until you step back and see what you may be missing.

But that doesn't change the moral of the story: when up against a
Grizzly, a bigger gun is better :-)

-Aviv

Old June 24th 04, 03:03 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"EDR" wrote in message
In article , Tom Sixkiller
wrote:

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
You should inform her that its not desolate...its populated...there

are
about 20,000 grizzley bears in BC.

Well, I told her that.
She asked me if I still had my old .44 Magnum and a lot of ammo. :~(

Interesting... how does one get a handgun through Canadian Customs? ;-)

By not landing in Canada (COE to JNU) except to crash.

Old June 24th 04, 03:10 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
FYI According to a friends wife who is an ER doctor, everyone who has

shot
a grizzley bear in self defense in Wyoming with a handgun has been mauled.

Did he happen to say what they were carrying, or if they were competent
handgunners? I do know of one case, several years ago, where a guy tried to
take out a grizzley with a .38 special he was carrying for snakes.

Old June 24th 04, 03:16 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Good points! She actually did some research into this and since the griz

is
an endangered species there is data. I suppose that there could be
unreported attacks/shootings. The basic problem is that you are talking
about trying to kill a large charging animal and if it doesn't die in

about
two seconds then you are going to get mauled. The guides in AK carry 12ga
slug guns.

See my remarks about they guy who took one on with a .38.

The people familiar with the bears will tell you to carry the
pepper spray.

Pepper spray is only good within about 15 feet and then only upwind.

We have Grizzleys here in N. Idaho but I have never seen one
at close range and the ones that I have seen in AK have all been from a
vehicle. I can tell you there is nothing spookier than coming upon a
steaming pile of poop and 16" tracks where there isn't a person for 15
miles! Much scarier than a thunderstorm anyway.

Considering peoples poor marksmanship when confronting bad guys (human) I
can see where their skills would deteriorate confronting something much
bigger and much badder.

Old June 24th 04, 03:22 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Interesting... how does one get a handgun through Canadian Customs? ;-)

By not landing in Canada (COE to JNU) except to crash.

That doesn't get it *through* Customs; that gets it *around* Customs.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 24th 04, 03:40 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Interesting... how does one get a handgun through Canadian Customs?

;-)

By not landing in Canada (COE to JNU) except to crash.

That doesn't get it *through* Customs; that gets it *around* Customs.

Actually, "over" customs (we're flying, not driving).

Old June 24th 04, 03:42 AM
Philip Sondericker

in article . net, Mike
Rapoport at wrote on 6/22/04 9:05 PM:

The only difference seems to be that they say "radar identified" instead of
"radar contact".

They also say "aboot" instead of "about".

Old June 24th 04, 06:52 AM
Ross Oliver

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
I am planning a similar flight, and from what I understand so far
returning back into the US is the stickiest part. You have to call the
customs agent ahead of time and arrive within 15 minutes of your ETA, and
not even one minute too early. The penalty for arriving without notice is
severe. It is best to make a stop at an airport near the border, call
customs again and depart for a more precise arrival.

Oh, I already have the ideal solution to this problem. I have planned
my trip so I will be returning from Canada directly to the NWEAA Fly-in
at Arlington. According to the nweaa.org web site, Customs services will
be provided on site, and the advance notification requirement is WAIVED
during the fly-in. Neat, huh?

Old June 24th 04, 04:20 PM

Do not be surprised if Canadian Customs does not show up for your appointment.
They did not show up the last two times I flew into Abbotsford. If Canadian
customs does not show up, CAN-PASS will give you your Customs Report Number.

The U.S. takes its border more seriously and expect the U.S. customs agents on
your return to be professional and business-like. However, they are not your
friends. They have the serious job of preventing entry to people who want to
kill you and your family. Remember, the FIRST thing you have to pass is the
ATTITUDE TEST. Everything after that is downhill. They will check your
paperwork, so get out of the plane with everything you will need. They work in
pairs, one up close dealing with you, and one back a few steps providing cover.
Let them do their jobs.

I have always found the U.S. Customs agents to be professional, polite, and
respectful in their demeanor. Please extend them the same courtesy.

Demonick
Seattle, WA