High Altitude operations (Turbo charge???)

Old July 10th 03, 09:20 PM
pac plyer

Big John wrote in message . ..
Water injection in WWII aircraft engines was basically to prevent
detonation with high MP. Believe the Jug had it on their R-2800 P & W
engines. Could pull 90 inches with water as I recall???

Some early jets had water injection. Ferried a F-94A/B that had water.
Used on T/O and you used all to prevent any residual from freezing in
tamk and lines at altiude (-50 F).

Big John
Point of the sword.

Pac sez:

Caution: Tall Flight Engineer story follows:

Believe it or not they also did it with heavy 747's! Climbed aboard
this 200 series 747 in Anchorage, the wind chill was -7 dgrs Far.
Almost got lost during the preflight in the blowing snow! Put my
Union-negotiated extreme wx parka back into the Union-negotiated lock
box (thought it was silly up till this morning!)

Thought to myself well, the hard part of this trip is over.. Then
after putzing around with the PA system for ten minutes (Dammit Jim!
I'm just a cargo doctor, not a passenger Engineer!) I was given the
expected passenger count: 535 including crew! More bad news: Auto
pressurization inop! In fact only Manual Available for six plus
hours...God, should've studied that procedure better in grd schoooool.
Stop everything.... get manual out for man pressurization... yikes
...seven pages to read!

Fourteen flight attendants later: "Ding Ding Ding": the
soon-to-be-familiar song: "It's too hot, It's too cold.. You're too
young, I'm too old!" Damn... most of those girls are over 50 and none
of them (not even the "ball-bearing" stew knows how to fix anything
down there. "Two movie projectors won't power up, and several
beverage cart locks won't release!" Holy ****, Captain.... forget the
safety of flight items... the sky nags have summoned me downstairs for
the really important stuff! What the hell... push is not for
another... damn... fifteen minutes!... Down the stairs I go, into...
a sea of un-amused faces... least I remembered my damn hat... looks
impressive... maybe they will not ask me any revealing questions...

"Hey kid, is this you're first flight!" a GI asks. I tell him that as
a matter of fact, it is (without a babysitter) "How old are you?"he
asks.

"Old enough to drive this thing" (I lie; cuz I'm only the oiler) "Been
nice chatting.. gotta go."

Meanwhile back upstairs: I corkscrew back up into the cockpit, and
discover bodies everywhe mechanics, flight attendants, gate
agents....squirm into my seat...still got five minutes to preflight...
lets go....

UH, OH... lots of switches are not in the right places... and there's
a bunch I was never trained on.... damn..... well better just focus on
fuel... ****... even its like nothing in the book. Focus.. focus...
"Ding Ding Ding"

"Before start checklist" calls Cpt Prescott, and I start doing the
disco, since it is my unfortunate job to turn all four of these five
million dollar fans and try not to roast any of them.

Picture sweat pouring out of my forehead; like in the movie "airplane"

We start to take the runway and I'm almost caught up... I struggle to
turn my unlubed S/O seat forward for t/o and them I see them down low
on the s/o's accessory panel... Four huge switches labeled "WATER
PUMPS..eng 1, eng 2 eng 3 eng 4.. MUST BE ON FOR T/O"

"Uhhhhh... Capin Sir.... uuuhh does this thing have water injection?"
I stammer as he spools up the big pratts for t/o.

Luckily, the snickering co-pilot that knew this might happen, lets me
in on the secret: "Dave, they're deactivated..."

Later, he also tells the new boy about the "deact" stickers that have
been falling off for years (won't stick to that surface I guess) the
INS bump that will occur when the computers switch hemispheres and the
fact that Asian females have.... well you get the idea.

At least they didn't make me get a tattoo or an ear ring...

pacplyer
Old July 10th 03, 09:31 PM
Richard Lamb

bob zee wrote:

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
How about building a 2180.

Personally, I'd not fly a turbocharged VW.

Ever.

Richard

this observation come from personal experience?

--
bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things
everyday"©

Yep. We have a lot of VW powered airplanes around here.
Heck, I've had two myself, and a new one about to hatch.

A home brew VW engine making 50 HP or so is one thing.

A home brew turbo is another breed of cat completely.

I'll happily let those with less brain power have at it.

Either they'll design a good waste gate control system,
or they will blow the engine (real bad pun).

There is what you know you know,
What you know you don't know,
What don't know you know,
and what you don't know you don't know.

That last one seems to cause a lot of problems.
Old July 11th 03, 12:20 AM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Bushy wrote:
The 115 with 100% is close but how the hell do you get 105% humidity?

"super-saturated solution". Really.

In other words, it's raining.

*WRONG*. If it _is_ raining, the humidity is somewhat -less- than 100%

There is more moisture than the 100% that the
air can support and so it falls.

Hope this helps,

A super-saturated solution is one of those strange "special cases", where
'common sense' is *not* accurate.

A simple description is that it _is_ holding more than it theoretically _can_,
contradictory as that sounds.

It comes about when you have a near-saturation condition, and the temperature
drops significantly.

*USUALLY*, when the concentration hits 100%, the 'excess' will start to pre-
cipitate out as the temperature continues to fall.

In rare instances, however, the precipitation does _not_ start as you reach,
*and*cross*, the 100% level.

This is, obviously, a "highly unstable", situation. Any sort of 'disturbance',
and the _entire_ "excess' will 'fall out', essentially 'in an instant'.

There's a fairly standard college physics experiment, where you make a pan-ful
of a near-saturated solution, using _warm_ water, and place it in a freezer.
You then run the temperaturd down, _below_ the freezing point of a saturated
(cold water) solution. The super-saturated solution does *not* freeze solid.
Then you reach in, and touch the pan. "Clunk" -- a whole sh*tload of stuff
precipitates out of solution, and the entire pan freezes solid. *INSTANTLY*.
_AND_ the pan gets too hot to touch.

The assignment is to list all the energy reactions involved. Essentially
explain "exactly what happened, in what sequence, and _why_".

Old July 11th 03, 01:36 AM
Big John

Bob

Get a heat gun and deactivate the heating element. Put a 12/24 VDC
motor on to replace the 110 VAC one. Use blower to turbo your leaf
blower. Just think out of the box.

Big John
Point of the sword

On 10 Jul 2003 15:30:28 GMT, osit (RobertR237)
wrote:

In article , "Model Flyer"
writes:

Bob, the simple answer is, the leaf blower is turbo charged.:-)
--

.
--

Damn, why didn't I think of that? Now where can I buy one of those turbo
charged leaf blowers? I am tired of climbing on top of my high pitched roof to

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old July 11th 03, 02:05 AM
Wooduuuward

Okay, I know I'll get clobbered by BOb on this idea but here's
at it.
There was a guy in California who spent a lot of time tinkering with
propeller mechanics. Now this was done to figure out how to wring
out more energy from the wind for those electrical wind generators
who's designers seem to always copy the airplane propeller to catch the
energy from the wind.
Now I read this in Popular Science and was fascinated with his findings.
So much so that I wondered why the reverse couldn't happen.
Namely, take his redesigned wind machine propeller and use it on
an aircraft. The reason? He managed to prove his design could get
45% efficiency from the wind rather than the 12% from the airplane
propeller. Anyway, his working model impressed Popular Science Mag
enough to publish his results for wind generators.
So . . this propeller could make a 50 HP VW motor very . . . ?

*p.s. those % are from memory.

I'll happily let those with less brain power have at it.o

Old July 11th 03, 03:46 AM
RobertR237

In article , Big John
writes:

Bob

Get a heat gun and deactivate the heating element. Put a 12/24 VDC
motor on to replace the 110 VAC one. Use blower to turbo your leaf
blower. Just think out of the box.

Big John
Point of the sword

Ah hell, can I just hire a 16 year old kid and have him do it?

Old July 11th 03, 03:42 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Wooduuuward wrote:

Okay, I know I'll get clobbered by BOb on this idea but here's
at it.
There was a guy in California who spent a lot of time tinkering....

Nah.
Not on this post of yours.

You are so far into Looney Tunes and Popular Science,
I'll just sit this one out, thank you. g

Catch ya later, Woody.

Barnyard BOb

Old July 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Morgans

"Wooduuuward" wrote in message

[...]

There you go again.

1. the airfoil on a wind generating prop has the camber on the opposite
side from an airplane prop. He was lucky to get 45%

2. The usual range of efficiency on an airplane prop is not 12%. It is
closer to saying 12% in-efficient!

There are LOTS of very smart people doing the propeller thing. You, or any
other backyard carver, will not improve on it.

Suggestion. Stick around and just read for a year or so, without posting.
You will be amazed at how much you learn you didn't know.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 11th 03, 11:59 PM
Model Flyer

"Big John" wrote in message
Bob

Get a heat gun and deactivate the heating element. Put a 12/24 VDC
motor on to replace the 110 VAC one. Use blower to turbo your leaf
blower. Just think out of the box.

Some of the hair driers use a 12volt motor in series with the heater,
if he used one of those all he would have to do is remove the element
and connect directely to the bat.
--

..
--
Cheers,
Jonathan Lowe
modelflyer at antispam dot net

Antispam trap in place

Big John
Point of the sword

On 10 Jul 2003 15:30:28 GMT, osit (RobertR237)