Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Old January 14th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Overhaul of 180HP Lycoming 0-360-A4M in a Skyhawk (C-172)

Andrew,
We opted to get a factory overhauled engine instead of sending our
engine in for overhauling. If you have the overhaul work done on your
old engine, there should be no reason for a core charge.
Shortly after we replaced our engine, Lycoming had a policy of not
refunding the core charge if the old core did not meet certain
standards. It was expected that customers who did not get a refund
were not very happy. Lycoming withdrew this bad policy sometimes last
year.

Hai Longworth

Old January 15th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

But what about the high time engine that is otherwise working just fine?
Compression good. Oil clean. not burning excessive oil.

My opinion is that if you have a properly working engine, no need to
overhaul it. There is some risk in flying it, but there is risk in
overhauling. The breakin period is risky time to fly. Spending all that
money is risky. There are risks everywhere.

I have an engine that is 2200 hours since new, never overhauled or
rebuilt. I am monitoring its oil filter and doing oil analysis at every
oil change. I think the risk/reward tilts toward just keep flying it
until I start using oil or metal wear shows up or the compressions go
down. My engine just keeps on ticking.......why risk replacing it?

Lycoming 0-360 A4M Engine overhaul in Ohio Roy Page Owning 9 January 13th 05 10:31 PM
Lycoming 0-360 factory overhaul core charges - Does Air Powertell the truth ? Mike Spera Owning 6 December 13th 04 02:13 AM
Lycoming 0-360 factory overhaul core charges - Does Air Power tell the truth ? nuke Owning 4 December 11th 04 01:59 PM
Major Overhaul Jim Weir Owning 10 June 8th 04 05:12 PM
lycoming major overhaul Marty from Sunny Florida Owning 14 June 7th 04 05:57 PM