Aerocommuting in a homebuilt?

Old July 7th 03, 03:09 AM
Jim Harper

Default Aerocommuting in a homebuilt?

Hello! I originally posted this on rec aviation owning, and think that
I should come to this august group for thoughts:

The original post was:

Hi. I already have some thoughts on this, and am not a total innocent
in these matters. I am just sort of curious about how this group of
posters would think on my problem.

I work in Montgomery, Alabama. I would like to move to Duluth, GA. The
airport there (LZU) is 15 miles from where I want to live. My job is
around 3 miles from the airport (MGM) in Montgomery. The two airports
are 158nm apart.

I am a 1000 hour private pilot (selg) with a fresh IFR rating. Much of
my time is in gliders, but I am current in high performance.

Figure a budget of around $100K to buy an airplane. I don't need 4
seats, so right now I am toying with the idea of one of the homebuilt
very fast 2 seaters...200mph would make the commute faster. I can
afford the insurance, and understand that I would be burning a fair
amount of fuel...I can afford that too.

Would you consider it? What airplane would YOU choose?

Thanks for your imput. No, I am not a troll...this is a real
question.

After thoughts and a few responses, I have evolved my position to
something that looks like this (there were several comments on what
would I do if I couldn't fly the commute…addressed here.

Thanks, Dale...and to those who previously posted and added info. Let
us continue the discussion. Regarding flexibility and
reliability...the trip isn't so outlandish that I couldn't drive from
LZU to MGM in the morning. I'm the Chief (:-) ) and if I'm a half-hour
late or so, no sweat. Coming back to LZU (afternoon Tstorms)...well, I
could keep my apartment in Montgomery, or sleep in my office...and as
far as that goes, I can afford a motel, should that be the best
choice. I have a week off every 5 weeks, and that should help me deal
with scheduled maintenance...and if there is unscheduled...well, see
my weather plans...motel, office...maybe keep my current Apt for a
while.

As far as equipment, how about I throw out this one: Van's
homebuilt...RV series. There are 4 for sale that are IFR certified on
TOP right now, top price is around $84K...down to $50K or so. That is
a pretty honest 180-200MPH airplane, would be an interesting IFR
platform...but they are reputed to be stable and have well balanced
controls. This is, of course, an aluminum airplane. By the way, to my
best understanding, getting the FSDO to change an experimental
aircraft's certification from VFR only to IFR and VFR requires,
essentially, the correct equipment AND convincing information that any
other example has received the certification, so the fact that there
are 4 implies that any COULD be modified as necessary.

My mission will be me...or me and my lady, with minimal baggage,
flying either the commute or other longer-legged vacation trips (see 1
week in 5 off). I already own a homebuilt glider (HP-16 (also
aluminum)) and am delighted with it. I'm in a glider club with several
A&P friends and a AI as well, so I have resources available, and am
experienced with the care and feeding of a homebuilt. I have extensive
experience with taildraggers, so I don't need the -a version
(tricycle), and anyway, a brief perusal of the NTSB data base shows
more landing accidents with the tri-geared version than the
conventional.

So, what do y'all think? Assuming you want to comment. I am looking
forward to your thoughts! Thanks!

Jim
Old July 7th 03, 03:28 AM
C.D. Damron

I'm looking forward to the replies. My father was looking at doing the same
thing, whenever VFR conditions permitted. His commute was about 100 miles
or so and his office was a couple of blocks from a strip in College Park,
MD.

He left Litton and that plan dried up.

Old July 7th 03, 04:35 AM
Rich S.

"Jim Harper" wrote in message
om...
By the way, to my
best understanding, getting the FSDO to change an experimental
aircraft's certification from VFR only to IFR and VFR requires,
essentially, the correct equipment AND convincing information that any
other example has received the certification, so the fact that there
are 4 implies that any COULD be modified as necessary.

Jim..........

As I understand the situation, legal IFR requires ONLY the correct
equipment.

My homebuilt's Operating Limitations state:

"Phase II - Operation after flight testing is complete"
"5. Unless appropriately equipped for night and/or instrument flight in
accordance with FAR 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR, day
only."

Note: In the word "correct" I am including necessary certification and
maintenance of avionics, instruments, etc. -- Unless somebody wants to
pick nits.

Rich S.

Old July 7th 03, 05:14 AM
EDR

Don't even think about IFR in any high performance airplane without an
operating two-axis autopilot.
Most high performance experimentals are unstable when you release the
controls. Without a working two-axis autopilot, you are not giving
yourself a fighting chance.
Old July 7th 03, 04:40 PM
Lyle Cox

How about a Sting retract from the Czech Republic. 170 mph on 4.5 gph.
Factory-built airplane with delivery in about 3 months after order. Should
cost around $65K USD.

om...

Old July 7th 03, 10:14 PM
Jim Harper

"Lyle Cox" wrote in message news:WvgOa.60032$fG.41694@sccrnsc01...
How about a Sting retract from the Czech Republic. 170 mph on 4.5 gph.
Factory-built airplane with delivery in about 3 months after order. Should
cost around $65K USD.

Thanks for the comment, Lyle. I am having trouble getting any info on
this machine. Looks like it COULD be pretty terrific, but I do want
IFR capability. Looks like you can equip it that way...but the price
would seem to get up to the $70K range...which would buy a very nicely
equipped, IFR certified RV-6...with more speed and about the same fuel
burn, methinks.

And then, one avoids the whole issue of will it be certified here? If
you know more, let me know, I am interested in any possiblities.

Jim
Old July 8th 03, 01:58 AM
Qaz

I was just dreaming in Trade a Plane. I think the RV would be a great plane,
but you might check a Lancair 320 or 360. Several are equipped IFR, they
have a high wing loading. We have two in our EAA chapter. From the talk they
fly honest, but the laminar flow wing quits flying when it quits flying.

Also, you might take a look a BD-4 if you can find one. It is tube and
fabric and there are not many copies, I understand that it was a fine plane
that was done in by the BD-5 fiasco.

Cheers
Jeff
om...

Old July 8th 03, 02:19 AM
Scott VanderVeen

Also, you might take a look a BD-4 if you can find one. It is tube and
fabric and there are not many copies, I understand that it was a fine

plane
that was done in by the BD-5 fiasco.

Tube and fabric BD-4? Must be a rare one.

By the time you get a wx brief, drive to airport, pre-flight,
un-chock/tiedown, run-up, take off/climb, cruise at 150-170kts, descent,
then make an approach, land, taxi, shut down, tiedown/chock, drive to where
you are going. - You might save 0 - 45 minutes. Over the 3:15 drive.

Don't bother justifying it, just do it and smile or drive and wish.

Scott V.

Old July 8th 03, 04:45 AM
Wooduuuward

Have a look at:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/j.ednie/gyr...marketing.html

Old July 8th 03, 12:41 PM
Jim Harper

By the time you get a wx brief, drive to airport, pre-flight,
un-chock/tiedown, run-up, take off/climb, cruise at 150-170kts, descent,
then make an approach, land, taxi, shut down, tiedown/chock, drive to where
you are going. - You might save 0 - 45 minutes. Over the 3:15 drive.

Don't bother justifying it, just do it and smile or drive and wish.

Scott V.

I am SO busted. Yep, I did the math too, and agree. I WOULD point out
that flying would be so much more restful/fun. I would also avoid
cross Atlanta traffic...which would NOT be a minor point.

I am working on going with doing it and smiling!

Jim