GPSMap 396 Power Cable

Old November 6th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default GPSMap 396 Power Cable

Well, we just broke the first power cable for the beast. I had read that
others were having problems with plug failures so I bought a spare a
while back. The plastic part that is physically plugged into the unit
separates from the back part of the connector molded to the cable. Total
operations until failu about 30.

I had been carefully grasping only the round base "barrel" part of the
connector avoiding the angled part. I always gently wiggle it from side
to side and top to bottom. This time it just separated.

I took a look at the new one to see if we could push it in part way
without bottoming it out. I figured perhaps bottoming it was putting too
much strain on the thing unnecessarily. But, partial insertion will not
work because the connectors on the outside round edge "snap" into place
after it is plugged most of the way in. Unless you reach that point, the
plug will just pop out.

First of all, why did they put a 90 degree angle on this thing? Totally
useless. Second, this cable is TOO SHORT to reach the cig lighter in
most GA planes. H-E-L-L-O! They also put an angled plug on the XM
antenna cable. I suppose they thought they were doing someone a favor.
When used on a particular yoke with a particular placement of the mount,
I could see how straight plugs might be a problem by sticking out the
back. Strange that they used a conventional BNC straight plug. Maybe the
top BNC does not interfere with the yokes they were concerned about.

Other manufacturers use a more conventional method of design with long
pins on the unit, a soft rubber plug, and some soft stays on the outer
round part of the plug to provide some friction against falling out.
Garmin uses 4 short pins, and then puts an additional 4 pins on the
outer barrel part of the plug. The whole assembly is hard plastic, so
they put a round profile on the outer pins that "snap" into place into
the concave receptacle. Nice try, but it does not stand up to normal
use. The spring tension on the outer pins is TOO HIGH.

I am considering putting together a multiplug to circumvent the failure
prone plugs on this unit. Garmin should really do it. At this point, I
would even pay for it... Another option is to REMOVE the outer pins.
They only use 2 and they are for voice data. Hmmmm......

Mike
Old November 6th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
houstondan

the thing needs a "docking station". i'm trying to decide about pulling
it out of the ship next weekend or leaving it in based on whether i
want to stress that connection. (and security. ) i'd pay real money
for one. for security, i'd take it out but...

dan

Old November 6th 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

"houstondan" wrote:

the thing needs a "docking station".

Good idea.

It needs *something*. The power plug design is awful; I've had two
failures.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 6th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy[_1_]

Mine just failed too...... however, that thing is absolutely the greatest
thing since sliced bread. I went on vacation last week and spent 30 minutes
in imc (a new record for me) all the while knowing there was no convective
activity. I broke out at 2,500 feet and landed visually. I put it in the
rental car, punched "direct to", and drove to the hotel with turn by turn
voice instruction. All of the vacation locations were a no brainer. I took
off to go home with ceilings just above 7,000 feet (my assigned altitude).
A completely stress free vacation.

I'm thinking of getting the sonar thing for fishing. The more I get to know
it the more it amazes me.

Old November 6th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

the thing needs a "docking station".

Good idea.

It needs *something*. The power plug design is awful; I've had two
failures.

I just ordered the AirGizmo "docking station" for our 496. Although
this doesn't address the power plug problem, it sure is a slick-looking
installation, and I'm looking forward to getting it off the co-pilot's
yoke.

While I'm at it, I'm having the shop connect the 496 directly to my PS
Engineering intercom, so that we can take advantage of the XM radio
option. With the AirGizmo ALL the 496 wiring will be behind the panel,
which will sure be nice.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 6th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

While I'm at it, I'm having the shop connect the 496 directly to my PS
Engineering intercom, so that we can take advantage of the XM radio
option. With the AirGizmo ALL the 496 wiring will be behind the panel,
which will sure be nice.

Please tell us you will be installing this with a logbook entry and not
trying to get a field approval.

Old November 7th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

I took a look at the new one to see if we could push it in part way
without bottoming it out. I figured perhaps bottoming it was putting too
much strain on the thing unnecessarily. But, partial insertion will not
work because the connectors on the outside round edge "snap" into place
after it is plugged most of the way in. Unless you reach that point, the
plug will just pop out.

Correction:

The outer "pins" on the plug are just strips of brass with a "dimple" in
them. The contacts on the unit itself look like brass pins half embedded
in the unit's plastic. When plugged in, the dimples drag against their
respective mating pins. They are a really tight fit because the dimples
do not have enough flex to bend easily. I will try smashing down the
dimples a bit on the busted plug to see if I can get it to mate and
unmate easier.

I considered pulling Garmin's chain by attempting to get a replacement
under the warranty. This is obviously a defect in design (although I'm
sure the warranty only covers "defects in materials and workmanship").
But, I am still having reception problems and I want to fight the right
battle.

If the beast were in a HANGAR, I could leave the unit mounted. But, $400
a month with 2 months deposit is really ridiculous.

I'll report back if I can "improve" this connector.

Mike
Old November 7th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

While I'm at it, I'm having the shop connect the 496 directly to my PS
Engineering intercom, so that we can take advantage of the XM radio
option. With the AirGizmo ALL the 496 wiring will be behind the panel,
which will sure be nice.

Please tell us you will be installing this with a logbook entry and not
trying to get a field approval.

I don't know. That's ultimately up to the avionics shop, and they
haven't worked me into their schedule yet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

...to see if I can get it to mate and unmate easier.

I'll report back if I can "improve" this connector.

Mike

Just a thought...it might be stupid...but...does anyone think a little
silicon spray lubricant on the sides of the connector would help...or
graphite powder for that matter.
.stuff snipped

It seems like
the material is a little different...maybe harder...but whatever...it comes
out MUCH easier then the aviation plug. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed that the genuine Garmin replacement cable is MUCH stiffer than
the original I got with the unit. I'm not sure if lubricant will help
the tight fit but I will try it. As I said in another post, the outer
pins that are causing the grief are not used with the aircraft power
cable. I may smash em down or remove them to see what that does to the fit.

Mike
Old November 16th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kobra

...to see if I can get it to mate and unmate easier.

I'll report back if I can "improve" this connector.

Mike

Just a thought...it might be stupid...but...does anyone think a little
silicon spray lubricant on the sides of the connector would help...or
graphite powder for that matter.

FWIW, I have the auto power cord with the speaker for car navigation as
dlevy mentioned. I keep this in my flight bag with the bean-bag and cradle.
It way it's always there if I break the aviation one and it's always there
when I need it for the car...but I digress...my point is that I've noticed
that there is a SIGNIFICANT difference in how easy this plug comes out of
the back of the 396 as compared to the plug for the airplane. It seems like