Characteristic airplane injuries

Old November 26th 03, 03:36 AM
Dan Thomas

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message y.com...

Didya ever check compression and forget to hold the prop? All kinds of
possibilities.

Let go on purpose a couple of times to show students what might
happen (making sure all were clear of the prop path, of course). Prop
spun through at least two revs, at alarming speed.

Have bashed my head on struts, trailing edges (a Glastar's
trailing edge is sharp enough to decapitate you, seems like), prop
tips (walking into them endwise when cruising through the hangar not
watching where I'm going), and a friend tripped on a 172 main gear
getting out of the airplane and fell onto the pavement and busted his
hip. Laid up for six months. Cut my hands on lockwire, nylon ties,
hose clamps. Burnt my fingers on hot exhausts. Opened up a finger real
good cutting exhaust pipe with a hacksaw when the saw broke through a
little sooner than expected. Finger got all infected and doesn't work
too well anymore.
Never been hurt flying an airplane.

Dan
Old November 26th 03, 07:17 AM
Chris Hoffmann

OUCH!

Jeez, um, I hope that 3 hr flight was not with a dislocated
knee....obviously, you had it put back in place first? I hope....

"Chris Nielsen" wrote in message
After not flying Cessnas for a while (sticking to low-wing Pipers), I

forgot
last weekend that when you get out of a 172, step OVER the wheel fairing
when turning to walk off - tripped over the wheel and dislocated my knee
(makes a frightful POP noise!) :-(

Painful to fly 3 hrs home after doing that!

cya

chris

Sridhar Rajagopal wrote:

Bending your head down to avoid the wings, but forgetting about the
lowered flaps.

-Sridhar

Jay Honeck wrote:

Our oil dipstick access door has a spring-loaded button in the center

that
you must press to release it. Both Mary and I have found that it's way
too easy to break fingernails backwards on that stupid button...

And I've jammed the wing-tip strobe light fixture into my ribs about a
zillion times, walking around the end of the wing...

And while cleaning the bottom laying on a rolling cart, it's easy to

prong
the top of your head into the pointy aft end of the stupid nosewheel
pant...

Old November 26th 03, 07:21 AM
Chris Hoffmann

I'm sure I've bruised my instructor's kneecaps a few times after making
sudden adjustments to my wind corrections while taxiing.

"Whoops..wind's from the right now.."
*turns yoke*
*bang!* "OW!"

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
The fuel selector in my Comanche is ringed by the pushbuttons that
let you read the quantity in tanks other than the selected tank. My
index finger is just long enough that I manage to scrape my knuckle on
one of these each time I switch tanks in a counter-clockwise direction.

In a Cessna 172D I used to rent I had a habit of smashing a finger
(come to think of it, the same finger) between the flap lever release
button and the lever itself (it's a very tall button).

Anyone else have any injuries they tend to get over and over from an
airplane?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Old November 26th 03, 11:25 AM
Frederick Wilson

Not an airplane, but the tail stinger of and OH-58C is at the right height
to lash open the shin. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Old November 26th 03, 05:17 PM
C J Campbell

I keep whacking my head on Cessna wing struts, trailing edges of wings, and
lowered flaps. Wearing a ball cap minimizes these injuries. I have also
pulled shoulder muscles falling off the fuel steps. I have also pulled a
shoulder muscle and hurt my back falling off the fuel step and hitting a
float strut on the way down while checking the oil on a Cessna 182 on
amphibs. I also have bruised my back and ribs a few times backing into a
prop blade when climbing down from a fuel ladder or moving the fuel ladder.

Twisted my ankle hopping off a float into the muck. Broken fingernails
pumping floats, straightening seat belts, closing doors, etc. Burned
fingertips on dipsticks and mufflers. Cut my knees on broken glass crawling
under low wing airplanes. Bruised my thighs on various struts.

Come to think of it, I may be just a little bit clumsy.

Old November 26th 03, 05:17 PM
Gene Seibel

The burned fingers when checking oil after a too short stop over.
The bump on the head when that unexpected turbulance catches you
without your seatbelt in the super-tight mode.
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old November 26th 03, 05:45 PM
EDR

I pulled a lower back muscle while performing a "vigorous" hand
propping on a Champ.
Old November 26th 03, 06:07 PM
Frank

Bob Gardner wrote:

How about the characteristic diamond pattern on the foreheads of
pilots/instructors who walk into the trailing edge of a Cessna single's
wing?

The last time I did it (which was neither the first nor the last time I will
do it) I managed to hit at a point just high enough so instead of the
diamond pattern in the forehead I got a V-shaped furrow across my scalp.
Didn't hurt much but it sure looked bad.

--
Frank....H
Old November 26th 03, 07:05 PM
Don Tuite

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:17:00 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

I keep whacking my head on Cessna wing struts, trailing edges of wings, and
lowered flaps. Wearing a ball cap minimizes these injuries.

Curiously, wearing a baseball cap (with the visor in front) makes it
more likely I'll run into a Cessna wing trailing edge. I lose the
clue to duck.

Wearing the hat slacker-style is good for preflights, photography and
(I suspect) riding in convertibles.

Don
(But it still looks goofy on a silverback)