Zero ASH 30 Mi at recent WGC

Old August 10th 14, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Zero ASH 30 Mi at recent WGC

Hi,

I have enjoyed following the WGC in Poland.

I was somewhat surprised that there are no ASH 30 Mi flying in the open
class contest. Is there some issue that makes them non-competitive in that
soaring location, or in general?

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old August 10th 14, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Parker

There was one, it came 18th. in the open class.

Old August 10th 14, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:47:12 AM UTC-4, Steve Parker wrote:
There was one, it came 18th. in the open class.

18th place lists an ASH-31mi, not an ASH-30.

Who built the top open class wings?
In top 12 (roughly top third):
5 JS-1 (Jonkers)
4 EB (Binder)
3 Antares 23E/Quintus (Lange)

See ya, Dave
Old August 11th 14, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Superb comp record for the JS1, which also took 5 of the top 10 places in the 18m class. Of course, the same pilots would probably have achieved the same positions in any of several gliders.
Old August 11th 14, 05:14 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nadler View Post
On Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:47:12 AM UTC-4, Steve Parker wrote:
There was one, it came 18th. in the open class.

18th place lists an ASH-31mi, not an ASH-30.

Who built the top open class wings?
In top 12 (roughly top third):
5 JS-1 (Jonkers)
4 EB (Binder)
3 Antares 23E/Quintus (Lange)

See ya, Dave
I see the top six places in open were the German, British and French pilots, all at the top of their game

:-) Colin
Old August 11th 14, 08:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Parker

Yes, you are quite right, sorry.
I couldn't find an ASH 30 Mi on the British register. I don't know how
popular they are elsewhere.

Old August 11th 14, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Is it EASA Type Certified yet? Until a glider is the German
manufacturers can only build an agreed small number for local
use and those that can be exported to countries whose
authorities allow some sort of permit to fly.

In the pre-EASA transition era we could fly new types on BGA
permits in the UK until they were certified but not now. That's
why, for example, the ASG 29 is certified as an ASW 27-18,
which enabled so many to appear so quickly after its
introduction.

John Galloway

Old August 11th 14, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Why would you pay lots of money to fly an uncompetetive two seater in Open
Class? Schleichers 'white elephant.'

Old August 12th 14, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

What makes you think it is not competitive?
Old August 12th 14, 01:00 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waremark View Post
What makes you think it is not competitive?
Lack of good contest results when looking at Schleicher's website perhaps. If they aren't blowing it's trumpet then who is?

Colin