High Visibility markings research?

Old June 3rd 04, 07:56 AM
Craig Reynolds

Default High Visibility markings research?

Can anyone point me to where I might find a report of findings for a
recent (so I'm told) study into the effectiveness of anti-collision/High
Visibility markings on Gliders? I believe the study is UK or European,
but any info would be appreciated.

Regards to all,
Fly Safe
Craig

Old June 3rd 04, 02:06 PM
Don Johnstone

There was/is a trial in progress using dayglo markings
on Grob Acros (Vikings) used by the Air Cadets. The
controlling authority for the aircraft is HQ Air Cadets
at RAF Cranwell. I do not know if there are any results
yet, the gliders look very garish and are easy to see
on the ground from the air. I have to say that it does
not appear to make them anymore visible when they are
flying unless they are already close enough to see
easily anyway.

Old June 3rd 04, 11:25 PM
Stephen Haley

Article was "See and Avoid?"
By Dr Tony Head of College of Aeronautics at Cranfield University
in the UK Glidng magazine "Sailplane and Gliding" Aug-Sep 2003
Thsi appears to have been based on a 2001 report entitled
"Glider Conspicuity Trials, RAF Bicester, August 2000, "

Dont think this has ever been published electronically but you should be
able to get a back issue from S&G.

Hope this helps
rgds
Stephen Haley