Importing Canadian aircraft into US

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Importing Canadian aircraft into US

I see this subject was discussed on the list back in '99, but I was
wondering what people have been doing lately. I am purchasing a
Canadian registered 206 and am importing it into the US. The aircraft
just had an annual, but the owner doesn't have insurance on it, so the
option of having him fly it to the US isn't there. Can someone outline
the best procedures to "quickly" get it registered in the US? Here's
some questions:

How do I get it across the border? I believe that you cannot go across
with the temporary registration paperwork, but does that apply with an
aircraft that's being exported? Is the bill of sale sufficient? I've
got a Canadian license, so I can "legally" fly a C-numbered aircraft in
Canada.

Is there an option to deregister it in Canada and then get a ferry
permit to cross the border? It seems like this would enable me to get
the deregistration paperwork from Canada quicker.

Can someone elaborate on the rest of the steps and does anyone have
experience with the amount of time it has taken to do all of this?

Thanks,

Shad