Personal bests and records climbing in Calif

Old August 12th 04, 05:43 AM
Caracole

Default Personal bests and records climbing in Calif

This week is IT.

In case you hadn't noticed, it's summer, and the soaring's HOT.
Here at least. Monday had a 900 km flight, Tuesday a late launch
and early finish got a quick 400 km (for a girl, dry).

Today, Mark Grubb flew 1100 km out of Tehachapi - yo-yo and landed
Cal City just before sundown. I just packed his AS-W 20 in the
trailer to go home.

Doug Turner flew his DG for about 700 km, Cal City, Mono, Basalt and
home then THP and drone around just because it was still working five
knots local at Cal City at 6:30. He set a new California Standard
Class O & R distance task.... updating the 1986 flight of Otto Croy
from Cal City.
(Steve, this is a notification !)

Gary Thompson flew his PIK-20 500km plus, his first PIK launch of the
season, Boundary Peak and return....

We have a few guys flying Thursday and Friday and I'm sure it will
still be good on the weekend. Don't bother looking at a forecast.
You can talk yourself out of anything by looking at numbers on paper.
Too wet, too dry, too hot, too windy, too many tractors working on the
airport....garp.

Thermals are great, cu popped here at 9:45 on Cache Peak.
Towplane's all gassed up tonight.
I'm going home now...... all of So Cal should call in sick
and go soaring tomorrow or Friday.

Cindy Brickner
Caracole Soaring
22570 Airport Way
California City, CA 93505
760-373-1019
www.caracolesoaring.com
Old August 12th 04, 01:01 PM
Sue McMaster

(Caracole) wrote in message . com...
[...]

BRAVO Cindy! It's always best to kick ass and take names later!

Best of luck to all who take advantage of the awesome SCA wx and who
are smart enough to accept Caracole's welcome invitation! It's their
loss if they don't show up.

Fly safe, Sue
Old August 12th 04, 09:01 PM
Mark Grubb

I must commend and thank Cindy for all the professionalism,
comraderie, and attention she has shown me and countless other.

An example:

A few weeks ago I pair-flew with KB from Ely to Teh (me) and Cal City
(KB). KB was new to the area (and doing an excellent job, I might
add!) and was being poorly vectored by me (brain dead, 7+ hrs in
cockpit) and ultimatley expertly by Cindy into Cal City. Barry rolled
up on the ramp to Cindy holding a Wet Towel, a Bottled Water, a Soda,
and an Adult Beverage. He had never received such a welcome at an FBO
and was pleasantly stunned.

Cindy stayed till 9:00 pm last nite to help me unrig and get home.

Thanks Cindy!!

As Jimmy Buffet once wrote: The weather is here, I wish you were
beautiful...

As CB said, you can find a million reason not to fly. That is
ridiculous.
Come out and soar!
Old August 13th 04, 04:00 AM
Raphael Warshaw

I think I can top this. Cindy retrieved me from land-outs on two
consecutive days a few weeks ago, once in her own vehicle because I
had the keys to mine in my pocket. It doesn't get any better than
that.

Ray Warshaw
1LK

Bruce Hoult wrote in message ...
In article ,

Old August 13th 04, 12:58 PM
Andreas Maurer

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:57:08 +1200, Bruce Hoult
wrote:

Especially remarkable was the contrast with nearby Tehachapi an
hour earlier where they had a Blanik and Grob but didn't have any
instructor rated for them (2-33 only), and in any case they "didn't fly
cross country on rides".

Pretty interesting - how can someone be instructor rated in a 2-33 and
not in a Blanik or Grob? Are the latter being regarded as that hard to
fly?

Bye
Andreas
Old August 13th 04, 08:23 PM
Kirk Stant

Andreas Maurer wrote in message . ..

Pretty interesting - how can someone be instructor rated in a 2-33 and
not in a Blanik or Grob? Are the latter being regarded as that hard to
fly?

Bye
Andreas

Not surprising in the US; and probably the result of so many years of
the 2-33 being used almost exclusively for training - It's not ususual
to find glider pilots (including instructors) over here who have never
flown anything else! And of course, they are often rabid supporters
of the horrible beast.

Part of the 2-33 cult is to badmouth any other 2-seat glider as being
too hard to handle by students, and to insist on the need for an
extensive checkout in "high-performance" 2-seaters, such as the
Blanik, Grob 103, and ASK-21. Of course, if all your experience is in
a 2-33, that might be a good thing, judging by the lack of skill
demonstrated by most 2-33 drivers (in either seat).

And we wonder why soaring is declining in the US. Until every last
one of those dreadful POSs are turned into hubcaps, we will remain
firmly stuck in twirlybirdland.

This should be fun...

Kirk
Old August 13th 04, 09:51 PM
Jack

Kirk Stant wrote:

Until every last one of those dreadful POSs are turned into hubcaps,
we will remain firmly stuck in twirlybirdland.

Yo Mama!

Jack
Old August 13th 04, 11:28 PM
Nyal Williams

At 21:12 13 August 2004, Jack wrote:
Kirk Stant wrote:

Until every last one of those dreadful POSs are turned
into hubcaps,
we will remain firmly stuck in twirlybirdland.

Yo Mama!

Jack

Now, now!

You can have fun in a 12-meter sailboat, and you can
have fun on a raft. There is plenty of room for EVERYbody