Implausible Time Records

Old May 28th 19, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Implausible Time Records

Thanks, Evan.

I figured it out at home using the CN2 simulator.

On 5/28/2019 9:48 AM, Tango Eight wrote:
How to change the igc flight log time interval on CN2:
https://youtu.be/AkJwwCbGMZQ

CN2 stores logs internally at 1 second. You can d/l to USB at 1, 2, 4 or 10 second intervals.

Please pay close attention to the voice over. There is one especially non-obvious press of the down arrow key.

We think that d/l at 4 second interval solves (really: masks) the discontinuity that occurs when the UTC - GPS time offset update is received from the GPS system.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman for CNi

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 30th 19, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Well, here I am in Cordele with R5S starting on Monday and got the OLC time error message after submitting my ClearNav II log for yesterday’s flight.
So, downloaded CN vario version and got the same error message. For thrills I loaded a flight on 5/15/19 and although OLC advised late, accepted the flight into the system. I have changed nothing nor updated either unit since 5/15 so why then, not now?
I will look at and change the interval to 4 secs and try again ( as mentioned by T8 in this thread).
Questions and request...
Will I have issues with scoring during the contest (winscore)?
I would appreciate if someone would post an update summary of do and don’t and ideas in a simple to grasp way that even an airline pilot might follow.
Many thanks.
Old May 30th 19, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 5/30/19 6:01 AM, wrote:
Well, here I am in Cordele with R5S starting on Monday and got the OLC time error message after submitting my ClearNav II log for yesterday’s flight.
So, downloaded CN vario version and got the same error message. For thrills I loaded a flight on 5/15/19 and although OLC advised late, accepted the flight into the system. I have changed nothing nor updated either unit since 5/15 so why then, not now?

It's likely OLC just recently added the check for bad time records.

I will look at and change the interval to 4 secs and try again ( as mentioned by T8 in this thread).

That should work. You have 48 hrs after flight ended to delete bad data
and try again.

Questions and request...
Will I have issues with scoring during the contest (winscore)?

It's highly unlikely a program like Winscore would have have problems,
even if you turn in a log with a glitch. No reason to turn in a log
with the glitch.

I would appreciate if someone would post an update summary of do and don’t and ideas in a simple to grasp way that even an airline pilot might follow.

You can either download with the 4 second intervals, or you can turn on
your loggers early. I would wait until you get a 3D lock indication,
then add ten minutes before takeoff. You can do both if you want.

Dave

Many thanks.

Old May 30th 19, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Hi Henry,

There will be no issue with Winscore.

What's going on he

1. UTC and GPS time are not the same. The current offset is 18 seconds.

2. When the GPS starts up, it starts with an offset programmed in firmware.. This offset is less than 18 seconds.

3. After GPS lock, the GPS receiver gets the current offset from the system, typically about 5 minutes after GPS lock. It applies the new offset immediately, and the jump causes one out of sequence B record if the flight recorder is recording. It doesn't start recording until you are flying.

4. OLC picks up the out of sequence B record if it exists.

Since the offset change is 2 or 3 seconds, it can be masked by setting the igc file fix interval to 4 seconds. You can avoid the jump altogether by powering up 5 minutes before flying.

If you get a bad OLC result, you can fix it by downloading your flight again at either 4 or 10 second interval and resubmitting.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman

Old May 30th 19, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Thanks to the brain trust for the easy to understand summary.....the sport has improved due to the smart guys.
I will save and pass on to others.
Great flights!

Old May 30th 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've made two flights since experiencing the problem.Â* Since then, I've
turned on my CN devices 20 or so minutes before takeoff and have not
seen a repeat of the problem.

Old May 30th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 8:45:43 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

I sent T8 an update yesterday on my XC logger. I had it on 2 secs and changed to 4 secs and turned it on 12 minutes prior to launch. All problems have now gone on the OLC.
Best. #711.
Old May 31st 19, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

OK.....I would turn on, load task, turn off.....back on with sometimes less than 10 mins to launch to save battery power (bad habit from using non LiPo batteries).
This is probably the cause of my issue as it just started.
I was doing it because my CN shows 11.2 volts, but my Dittle radio shows 12.4 on LiPo bat.
Thanks for info.
Old May 31st 19, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Friday, May 31, 2019 at 7:53:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
OK.....I would turn on, load task, turn off.....back on with sometimes less than 10 mins to launch to save battery power (bad habit from using non LiPo batteries).
This is probably the cause of my issue as it just started.
I was doing it because my CN shows 11.2 volts, but my Dittle radio shows 12.4 on LiPo bat.
Thanks for info.

You might want to check the wiring to/from the CV (esp the ground). 1.2 volts is a lot of difference IMO.
Old May 31st 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, May 31, 2019 at 7:53:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
OK.....I would turn on, load task, turn off.....back on with sometimes less than 10 mins to launch to save battery power (bad habit from using non LiPo batteries).
This is probably the cause of my issue as it just started.
I was doing it because my CN shows 11.2 volts, but my Dittle radio shows 12.4 on LiPo bat.
Thanks for info.

Sounds like a bad (high resistance) circuit breaker.

-Evan