Watch This Electric Drag Racing Record Nearly Silently Fall - electric dragster.mp4

Old May 19th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Watch This Electric Drag Racing Record Nearly Silently Fall - electric dragster.mp4

https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-elec...tly-1843529789

History was made recently when this bright orange dart of a car became the first
electric car to eclipse 200 miles per hour in the quarter mile. Running a 7.520
second pass at 201.07 miles per hour, the Current Technology 2.0 dragster ran a
world record pass in only its second pass of the day. Of course, this isn’t near
as quick as the professional Top Fuel folks are running, but it’s a milestone
that deserves celebration nonetheless.

This run from Steve Huff beats the current record held by drag racing legend Big
Daddy Don Garlits, who hit 189 miles per hour on a pass last year in his “Swamp
Rat 38”racer.

The Current Technology 2.0 racer is based on a 240" wheelbase NHRA dragster
certified to 6.50 second passes. It’s powered by 800 volts of custom lithium
polymer battery. Out back, this racer has a pair of custom-wound axial flux dual
stack electric motors producing the equivalent of 2400 horsepower and 2000 foot
lubs of torque. All-in, with the driver installed, this thing weighs just 2010
pounds. Could you imagine driving something with more than one horsepower per
pound?

The video is wild, because when you see a big set of Mickey Thompson slicks, you
expect to hear the alcohol cackle of a big supercharged V8. But instead the
thing is totally silent. It barely makes a noise until Steve mats the
accelerator pedal and instantly liquefies a few milimeters off the surface of
the tire. When the hammer drops, the thing is gone, again with no noise to speak
of. Amazing.

As electric technology develops, we’re going to get bigger and more impressive
numbers. As battery tech gets lighter and more energy dense, as motor tech gets
more powerful, as all of this is heavily researched, it’ll be the old-school hot
rodders doing as much impressive EV tuning as the egg heads in silicon valley.

This is like the 1950s hot rodding scene all over again. And it’s a glorious
time to be a gear head. EVs already own the Pikes Peak record, how long until
they own every track record? Whatever number of years you’re thinking, I bet
it’s sooner than that.

*

Old May 19th 20, 04:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-elec...rd-nearly-sile
ntly-1843529789
This is like the 1950s hot rodding scene all over again. And it’s a

glorious time to be a gear head. EVs already own the Pikes Peak
record, how long until they own every track record? Whatever number of
years you’re thinking, I bet it’s sooner than that.

My Tesla goes from 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. When
I floor it you are literally thrown back in your
seat, very handy for entering freeways and taking
advantage of even slight gaps in traffic.

Sheesh...didn't know they could accelerate like that!

Back in the day, I was an avid drag racing fan...saw Denny Milani kill himself
at 200 MPH while night racing at Half Moon Bay Drag Strip.

*

Old May 19th 20, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-elec...cord-nearly-si
le ntly-1843529789
This is like the 1950s hot rodding scene all over again. And it’s a
glorious time to be a gear head. EVs already own the Pikes Peak
record, how long until they own every track record? Whatever number
of years you’re thinking, I bet it’s sooner than that.

My Tesla goes from 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. When
I floor it you are literally thrown back in your
seat, very handy for entering freeways and taking
advantage of even slight gaps in traffic.

Sheesh...didn't know they could accelerate like that!

One key advantage is the lack of a transmission.
Those little pauses while your car changes gear add
up, wereas electric cars have constant acceleration
right up until their top speed.

Back in the day, I was an avid drag racing fan...saw Denny Milani kill
himself at 200 MPH while night racing at Half Moon Bay Drag Strip.

Our local NASCAR track does "time trial"
acceleration matches before the race proper,
and Teslas always win them. Masseratti is
coming out with an electric car that will
do 0-60 in 2 seconds. For $250,000........

Old May 19th 20, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

[...]

I read something about them doing it...but not sure how far they'll get after
just a 'one off'...I'll believe it when they produce a decent amount at whatever
the $250,000 apiece traffic will bear.

Ferrari is saying they'll go into electric car production in 2025...we'll see.
Not sure Enzo would approve.

*

Old May 20th 20, 02:38 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-elec...record-nearly-
si le ntly-1843529789
[...]

It's the wave of the future. The sheer convenience
of charging your car at night in your garage as opposed
to shivering at a gas station pump is hard to beat.

The dash layout took some getting used to but now
I hooked on the huge traffic display.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dash view.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	130820
Old May 20th 20, 05:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

[...]

The display is huge!! Looks like it could be more of a distraction. I assume
you can lower it out of the way.

*

Old May 20th 20, 01:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article ,
Mitchell Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-this-elec...g-record-nearl
y- si le ntly-1843529789
[...]

Not really. In fact I use it a lot, for traffic
maps and music selection. At first I was put off by
the lack of an intrument panel, then I remembered
there aren't any instruments. No gas gauge, no water
temp, no oil pressure, no tach. The only things to
monitor are speed and battery level, and those are
on the panel.

Old May 21st 20, 04:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

The display is huge!! Looks like it could be more of a distraction.
I assume you can lower it out of the way.

Not really. In fact I use it a lot, for traffic
maps and music selection. At first I was put off by
the lack of an intrument panel, then I remembered
there aren't any instruments. No gas gauge, no water
temp, no oil pressure, no tach. The only things to
monitor are speed and battery level, and those are
on the panel.

What about heating/AC etc that normally run off internal combustion engine?

*

Old May 21st 20, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article ,
Mitchell Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

The display is huge!! Looks like it could be more of a distraction.
I assume you can lower it out of the way.

Not really. In fact I use it a lot, for traffic
maps and music selection. At first I was put off by
the lack of an intrument panel, then I remembered
there aren't any instruments. No gas gauge, no water
temp, no oil pressure, no tach. The only things to
monitor are speed and battery level, and those are
on the panel.

What about heating/AC etc that normally run off internal combustion
engine?

All provided by electrity. In fact it has a
"constant climate" feature that lets you keep the
car interior at a constant temp while parked.
Handy if you have a pet inside, or just don't
want to get into hot car on a hot day. Can't do
that with a gas powered car......