Time to hang it up?

Old April 22nd 21, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

Default Time to hang it up?

It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
Pat & JJ Sinclair
Old April 22nd 21, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

John,
Wait, wait, wait a minute.....tell me it isn't so, unless you've closed the door already. Can we vote you back in if you could be persuaded? From you post, I see some wiggle room.... had you argued "it's no fun anymore" or "my pilot decision-making is making the risk too great", there'd be no rebuttal. What about joint ownership in a glider, or a hangar to store it assembled? Might a safety pilot provide some added assurance? Never met you, but I think you're the guy who built his own Duster and whose enthusiasm helped lead me into the sport (...and I bought a Duster too!).
Mike

Old April 22nd 21, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Semantics Michael

On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 7:24:33 PM UTC-5, Semantics Michael wrote:
John,
Wait, wait, wait a minute.....tell me it isn't so, unless you've closed the door already. Can we vote you back in if you could be persuaded? From you post, I see some wiggle room.... had you argued "it's no fun anymore" or "my pilot decision-making is making the risk too great", there'd be no rebuttal. What about joint ownership in a glider, or a hangar to store it assembled? Might a safety pilot provide some added assurance? Never met you, but I think you're the guy who built his own Duster and whose enthusiasm helped lead me into the sport (...and I bought a Duster too!).
Mike
I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes.
Pat & JJ Sinclair

Aha, I looked you up at the SSA; you are listed as a "LIFE MEMBER". You shouldn't mess with us. Sure, you can check out anytime you want, but you can never leave! (courtesy of the Eagles). Seriously, sir, I hope you'll find some way of making it work.
Old April 22nd 21, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
Pat & JJ Sinclair

Great run- NO regrets.
UH
Old April 22nd 21, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Hey JJ,

Even if you truly have decided not to fly any more, you will continue to be an inspiration to us all. I will always remember the advice, encouragement, and especially the stories you told at the ASI meets (all while kicking everyone's butts...). Thank you for your lifelong dedication and commitment to the soaring community, and in particular, to myself and my father. To you, and your ever present and engaged wife Pat, I salute you both.

Matt Herron

Old April 22nd 21, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Good finish JJ!

I think we all wonder if we will have the strength to make the right decision early enough. I've seen people wait too long and it's not a good outcome.

I can always make room in the back seat of 5H if you want some flying without the responsibility of rigging. Still gotta make the long ass drive.

Always a pleasure having you visit Avenal.

Morgan

Old April 22nd 21, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joel!!!!@yahoo,com

It’s been 50 years now since I soloed in gliders at Black Forest, Co in 1971. I have logged over 5000 hours, mostly racing. Only flew one time last year due to Covid-19, but this year I found myself dreading the work involved with hooking up the trailer, driving an hour and a half, assembling, cleaning and taping the bird then flying for maybe 3 hours, followed by disassembly, then driving another hour and a half back home! The energy to do all this was needed just to flying that day!
Last year there were 4 pilots in our club that were over 85, two have quit and another died on his third flight in a new electric sailplane..............that leaves me? I have decided it’s time to hang it up!
Thanks for all the good memories over the years, mostly racing sailplanes..
Pat & JJ Sinclair

It was a Good Ride JJ - may the winds carry you to new adventures nd even better Finishes

Old April 22nd 21, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

It was an honor and pleasure to know you, I too got in to soaring inspired by a few like yourself with such fantastic success in a racing and accomplishments . Hope this does not sound like a good bye, but a thank for all you have done for us all. You even fixed a few planes over time, including my own

As an instructor for 35 years now, the worse part of my job is to give that person a tap on the shoulder, but it comes with the job. It is my hope the legacy we leave behind won't be one that puts another black mark on soaring. I am 72 now and feel I have just a few more good years unless I find that hot springs fountain of youth..... I am looking..

Aloha and Mahalo Nui LOa

Buzz Graves