Oscar Zulu

Old January 21st 10, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Oscar Zulu

http://www.silentflight.com/
I'm sure this will be one of those things that "Everybody
Knows" (except, of course, me). Who was the owner of this glider that
painted the swoopy blue stripe and OZ ID? The same paint scheme is on
a different glider in "Running On Empty" and "The Quiet Challange".
TIA
Jim
Old January 21st 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

On Jan 21, 10:01�am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
http://www.silentflight.com/
I'm sure this will be one of those things that "Everybody
Knows" (except, of course, me). Who was the owner of this glider that
painted the swoopy blue stripe and OZ ID? The same paint scheme is on
a different glider in "Running On Empty" and "The Quiet Challange".
TIA
Jim

Quentin Berg was the original owner of the Kestrel 17 you are thinking
of. He passed away from a heart attack while helping to erect the
tent for the pilots meeting at the 1973 Open Class Nationals in
Liberal Kansas. Ted Schirtzinger purchased the Kestrel from his
estate and had it painted in this scheme. He eventually bought an
ASW-20 which he loaned out for the Hitachi Masters of Soaring contest,
and the excellent Chris Woods film Running on Empty. Many people have
owned this Kestrel since Ted sold it many years ago.

Barry
Old January 22nd 10, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 21, 11:50*am, drbdanieli wrote:
[...]

I owned it in 97-98 season.
I sold it to Mike Deleo who flew it around California until recently
until he sold it last year.

Ted used to work at the Hilton Ranch and when flying over the ranch I
would always ring him up on the radio for a quick chat.
Ted was great guy and total gentleman, he died I heard in a boating
accident.

The OZ was a great fun glider and was my first flapped glider.
I had a lot of fun in that plane learning to fly cross country under
the guidance of Mountain Mike from high country soaring.

Fun times.

I love the pic Mike took of me in the OZ and that is now the splash
cover on http://www.silentflight.com

Cheers

Al

Old January 22nd 10, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
drbdanieli

I also forgot to mention that Bill Stowers did the design and paint
job in 1978 at Alan Bikle's shop. He also did the ASW-20 when Ted
purchased that ship. Bill eventually bought an ASW-17 and painted it
with the swoopy red stripes on the tail. It's probably the most
photographed ASW-17 around.

Barry
Old January 22nd 10, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

It had to be Bill.
Hard to forget the High Country Soaring ad featuring the AS-W17. What
a gorgeous glider.
And where's that 17 now? Haven't seen it since the O2 bottle was
surgically removed.
Jim

Old January 22nd 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"JS" wrote

And where's that 17 now? Haven't seen it since the O2 bottle was
surgically removed.

What's the story on the O2 bottle? I have not been following this group for
very long.

Thanks.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 23rd 10, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The O2 bottle needed hydro testing. As it was 40 cu ft, it couldn't be
taken out in the normal way.
The paint job on the tail was world famous.
Jim

Old January 24th 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
doug

On Jan 22, 9:14*pm, JS wrote:
The O2 bottle needed hydro testing. As it was 40 cu ft, it couldn't be
taken out in the normal way.
The paint job on the tail was world famous.
Jim

What's the story on the O2 bottle? *I have not been following this group for
very long.

Thanks.
--
Jim in NC- Hide quoted text -

Oscar Zulu, the ASW-20, had 20 lbs of lead shot in the
tail. It flew like butter.

I was in the partnership that consisted of Don Engen and
Mark Barnett. It was flown for several years at the
Hiltons. Mark would have more history as would Tom Stowers.

Nicest ship I ever flew.

Doug Whitehead (EDW)
Old January 25th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

I have had the dream of flight for years and have always considered nothing
but powered flight, but reading this group has gotten me thinking
differently. *I was in to sailing on Lake Erie while I was in Ohio, so
chasing the wind and weather has a certain type of appeal to me, so looking
for thermals might be fun, too.

I have recently gotten to the point that my kids are through college, so
some more cash flow has helped the coming couple years be the right time to
go for it. *Now, all that remains are a couple health concerns and some
household projects to finish up, and the dream will commence to begin.

I wish there were more places near me to take glider lessons, and people to
fly with. *I will probably need to go with a self launch ship once I get out
on my own, since tug pilots and planes or winch launches are going to be too
far away to be practical.

So everyone, thanks for the good group you have going here. *(most of the
time at least) *I am reading and learning every tidbit that makes sense to
the bigger picture.

I am located in Western NC, between Hickory (on I-40) and Boone.
(Appalachian State) *Are there other opportunities for soaring bases that I
may have missed? *I am surprised at how few glider operations I have found
within a 45 minute or hours drive from here.

Eventually, my goal is to build my own airplane. *Perhaps even my own
design, further down the road.

I love woodworking, and would like to build one of the many good wood design
primary trainers out there. *What would everyone's first choice be?
--
Jim in NC

Jim,

I think the closest NC soaring is found at Piedmont Soaring, located
just west of Winston-Salem. Their website is probably on the SSA
"Where to Fly" webpage.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old January 25th 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

I am located in Western NC, between Hickory (on I-40) and Boone.
(Appalachian State) Are there other opportunities for soaring bases that I
may have missed? I am surprised at how few glider operations I have found
within a 45 minute or hours drive from here.

Don't be afraid to look farther afield, it's more practical than it
might sound. Of course everybody is different, and what's practical to
one person might be too distant for you, but don't dismiss it out of
hand. I'm 90 minutes away from my gliderport, and the majority of my
club is a similar distance. (When I was evaluating the club, I thought
that it might be too far to be workable, then looked at the members page
and saw that almost everybody else was that far away too.)

I once heard that the average SSA member's drive to the gliderport is
two hours, which is quite a lot!

Certainly I'd love to be closer, but it's been pretty reasonable for me.
Soaring tends to be an all-day activity. Even if I can't stay up all
day, I'll still stay out at the gliderport until close of ops to help
out, chat with friends, and just enjoy the day. My 3-hour round trip is
a lot more palatable when it bookends 8-10 hours at the field.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Lightspeed Zulu - Tell me what you think [email protected] Products 7 February 25th 12 01:54 AM
Lightspeed Zulu ANR Graph Mike Flying 8 Piloting 0 April 26th 08 06:24 PM
Lightspeed Zulu? Marco Leon Piloting 0 October 11th 07 03:19 PM
My Dad's Avalon pics : Cessna 0-2A 'Oscar Deuce' Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 March 30th 07 10:11 AM