Motor glider

Old May 18th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
James C. Simmons

Default Motor glider

Are there any US clubs that are using two place motor gliders for basic
instruction?
Old May 18th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On May 17, 11:00*pm, James C. Simmons
wrote:
Are there any US clubs that are using two place motor gliders for basic
instruction?

Doubtful, but would like to hear differently. Last time I checked it
first glider solos in self-launching gliders weren't insurable in the
US market.

A couple of clubs appear to have added LSA to their stables though.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 18th 09, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 17, 7:00*pm, James C. Simmons
wrote:
Are there any US clubs that are using two place motor gliders for basic
instruction?

Not a club, but Acro International at Dillingham on Oahu does have a
Grob 109 and another MG they lease after appropriate training, if your
interested.
Rich
Old May 18th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Motor glider -OT

On May 18, 11:45*am, Nyal Williams wrote:
Can't be a British lord; the grammar is all wrong.

To the best of my knowledge no education, erudition, or semantic
exactitude is required to qualify.

Andy

Old May 18th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey

wrote:
Are there any US clubs that are using two place motor gliders for basic
instruction?

Doubtful, but would like to hear differently. *Last time I checked it
first glider solos in self-launching gliders weren't insurable in the
US market.

A couple of clubs appear to have added LSA to their stables though.

Frank Whiteley

I didn't read into the original post any idea of soloing in the
motorglider. I know that there are glider purists out there who think
that anything learned in a powered aircraft has no application to
gliding, and to them I say "BAH!"

It sure seems to me that something that can take off under its own
power would certainly speed the time to first solo, and decrease the
dollars to get there. But it doesn't have to be a motorglider. I
thought through my experience, and decided that while I like the C-150
for teaching, the best vehicle for starting out a glider pilot is a 65
hp Champ. It has a stick. It exhibits _serious_ adverse yaw, just
like a glider. It stalls power-off and recovers just like a glider,
it spins nicely, and with a little instructor help with the throttle,
it can be made to simulate many glider types pretty well. There's no
need for the student to worry about handling a taildragger on the
ground, but with the proper throttle setting, the approach and pattern
of a glider can easily be simulated. The throttle is on the cockpit
left side wall just like a glider. Just pretend that throttle is the
spoilers. A little high, close the throttle (pull it back, just like
spoilers). Still too high, slip it. The glider touchdown usually
taught is just like a wheel landing in the Champ. Keep your speed no
matter what, just like a glider. Have the student use the glider
checklist, and let the instructor worry about the differences in his
own checklist.

I'd think that anyone with reasonable aptitude could solo a glider in
a week, which would include about 6 hours of Champ time learning how
airplanes work (a glider is just an airplane with the engine turned
off or power reduced), followed by probably about 10 flights in the
target glider. It takes at least 3 flights to get the hang of
towing. Simulated rope breaks can be introduced quite nicely in a
Champ, just have the instructor reduce the power to the setting that
gives the performance of the target glider, then a couple in the
glider to polish technique. I've always wondered why it wasn't done
this way. It sure has worked out fine for me, although I had a bit
more than 5 Champ hours when I learned.

Ed
(smiling ear to ear because he completed the final leg of his Gold
Badge yesterday!)

Old May 18th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 18, 12:47*pm, Andy wrote:
On May 18, 11:45*am, Nyal Williams wrote:

Can't be a British lord; the grammar is all wrong.

To the best of my knowledge no education, erudition, or semantic
exactitude is required to qualify.

Andy

to fly a motorglider?
Old May 19th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 18, 1:31*pm, Brad wrote:
On May 18, 12:47*pm, Andy wrote:

On May 18, 11:45*am, Nyal Williams wrote:

Can't be a British lord; the grammar is all wrong.

To the best of my knowledge no education, erudition, or semantic
exactitude is required to qualify.

Andy

to fly a motorglider?

There is an instructor with Elite Aviation or iFlyElite at the North
Las Vegas NV airport that provides MotorGlider instruction in his Grob
109.
Old May 19th 09, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 18, 7:11*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote:
There is an instructor with Elite Aviation or iFlyElite at the North
Las Vegas NV airport that provides MotorGlider instruction in his Grob
109.

Do you have contact information for him? I'd like to add him to the
Auxiliary-powered Sailplane Association's list of instructors.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

http://www.motorglidertourslasvegas.com/index.html