Global Space-Based ADS-B Flight Tracking

Old September 24th 16, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Global Space-Based ADS-B Flight Tracking

"FlightAware and Aireon are proud to announce the world's first and only global, space-based ADS-B flight tracking solution. FlightAware's technology and Aireon's 66 ADS-B receivers in low earth orbit will forever change the world of flight tracking and flight safety. (flightaware.com)"

https://flightaware.com/aireon/

This will be a direct competitor to Delorme InReach and Spot tracking services used by sailplane pilots today

....of course... you'll have to have ADS-B out installed. But, depending on the cost of this service, it could ultimately be less expensive than paying $250-$400 per year for Delorme (However.. it might be more expensive!). My Trig T22 equipped glider can probably be upgraded to ADS-B out for $600. It has to be checked every two years by an avionics shop (but that should be done for the Mode S transponder anyway).

Walt Rogers WX
Old September 24th 16, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 6:38:47 PM UTC-6, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Walt,
Very interesting....One reason (among perhaps several) to perhaps stay with a Delorme InReach (or a SPOT) is that I use my InReach for not only soaring, but also for hiking & camping trips. It can also be used in any aircraft or glider and I know some folks use it for boating and for other outside activities. That being said, I do believe we will see many rapid advances in this area over the next few years. Thx - Renny
Old September 24th 16, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

What about the time delay between ground and geostationary satellites? I once helped get an initial STC to put a Satphone in a Lockheed JetStar and I can tell you there is a noticeable delay when you are bouncing signals from low altitude to space and back. Not a huge delay, mind you, but enough to make carrying a simple conversation a little awkward. When we are expecting near-instantaneous position communications between aircraft and satellites, could the delay be substantial enough to skew the warnings?

Old September 24th 16, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 12:54:26 PM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
What about the time delay between ground and geostationary satellites? I once helped get an initial STC to put a Satphone in a Lockheed JetStar and I can tell you there is a noticeable delay when you are bouncing signals from low altitude to space and back. Not a huge delay, mind you, but enough to make carrying a simple conversation a little awkward. When we are expecting near-instantaneous position communications between aircraft and satellites, could the delay be substantial enough to skew the warnings?

I see the use of the satellite based collection of ADS-B location packets for high resolution tracking of sailplanes... not as a collision advisory/avoidance system. The time delay round trip to satellites might be an issue there... but not high resolution real-time tracking. One second updates could produce some fairly realistic real-time viewing of gliding contest and activities. I'm not as interested in the intended use for a global Air Traffic Control services ADS-B based system.

BTW, There still would be use for the Delorme Inreach in sailplanes. It's a good emergency services unit that can be attached to a parachute and provide text message/email services from anywhere on the ground or in the air. Although, there wouldn't be a need to the 1 or 2 minute tracking intervals.... 5-10 minutes would be sufficient... if the ADS-B tracking from the glider were logged somewhere for use in emergency location services.

Walt Rogers WX