Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

Old March 3rd 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G Paleologopoulos

Default Way off topic, but it has do to with the French

The list of countries with people that "sat on their hands whilst
under the yoke of the most immoral regime in modern history" includes
Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg,
Yugoslavia, and Greece.

Somebody get their fkucking history straight and get Greece off this dip
**** list.
G, from Greece.

Old March 3rd 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

The list of countries with people that "sat on their hands whilst
under the yoke of the most immoral regime in modern history" includes
Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg,
Yugoslavia, and Greece.

Right, but none of those countries were loudly proclaiming themselves
to be "world powers" and "leaders of the free world", as was the case
with France prior to WWII. Their collapse in the Battle of France was
so complete, quick, and unexpected that their national prestige will
probably never recover.

The truth is that France prissily regarded themselves as a major world
power long after the shine was off her apple. The amazing thing is
that they continue to display this attitude to this day.

Ya gotta admire their chutzpah, I suppose -- but it's what makes them
the butt of jokes here in America.

Nope, what makes them the butt of jokes iare morons like you.

Bertie
Old March 3rd 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Well you've not shown yourself in a good light at all in this thread.
I think you should rethink you attitudes and preconceptions.

I don't have attitudes and preconceptions -- but I do have a minor in
history from the University of Wisconsin, and another 30 years of World War
II studies under my belt. My father was a Captain in the US Army Air Corps
during the war, and was stationed in France and Germany in 1945. To assume
I'm not intimately familiar with France's wartime history and post-war
behavior is presumptuous.

Sorry if stating facts hurts your pride, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. The
fact remains that the French were humiliated in 1940, many French acted
dishonorably under the Nazi yoke, and they have yet to fully come to terms
with their fate as a former world power.

Don't despair, however. WRT France not gracefully accepting their lessened
global position, they aren't alone. Every dominant world power eventually
faces the same fate, and the U.S.'s turn is coming.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Well you've not shown yourself in a good light at all in this thread.
I think you should rethink you attitudes and preconceptions.

I don't have attitudes and preconceptions -- but I do have a minor in
history from the University of Wisconsin,

Oow!

and another 30 years of
World War II studies under my belt. My father was a Captain in the US
Army Air Corps during the war, and was stationed in France and Germany
in 1945. To assume I'm not intimately familiar with France's wartime
history and post-war behavior is presumptuous.

Sorry if stating facts hurts your pride, but I calls 'em as I sees
'em. The fact remains that the French were humiliated in 1940, many
French acted dishonorably under the Nazi yoke, and they have yet to
fully come to terms with their fate as a former world power.

Don't despair, however. WRT France not gracefully accepting their
lessened global position, they aren't alone. Every dominant world
power eventually faces the same fate, and the U.S.'s turn is coming.

You're an idiot.

Bertie
Old March 3rd 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Somebody get their fkucking history straight and get Greece off this dip
**** list.
G, from Greece.

Indeed. The Greeks, while no match for the Germans, managed to thoroughly
humiliate the Italians before falling under Axis occupation. For a brief
(if not entirely impartial) history of Greece in WWII, see:

http://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/worldwarII.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Maybe sooner than we think as we are now outsourcing our military to
France! :-)

Matt
Old March 3rd 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 2, 5:53 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
[...]

Perhaps your minor in history didn't cover The Great War, the
Napoleonic Wars, or the Seven Year's War.

Look those up and then come back and discuss France's place in world
history.

My master's in History and I will be waiting.

Dan

Old March 3rd 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

And why not? If, as is often claimed, they are in fact making the things at
a loss and at the expense of the government, you can bankrupt them in
revenge by buying loads of 'busses.

Bertie
Old March 3rd 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

" wrote in
:

[...]

That's a bit unfair, isn't it? Anyone who has read a pamphlet on world
history knows more than Jay...

Bertie