A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Is Glideplan still relevant?

Old December 25th 14, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Is Glideplan still relevant?

Tom (2N0) wrote on 12/24/2014 6:31 AM:
Even with a ClearNav and a backup Oudie I still print out a copy of the map before flight.

I now carry my iPad mini with Foreflight, which has a moving map on
sectionals. That makes it a good backup to the ClearNav. Most the use
for the iPad/Foreflight combination is planning airplane style trips in
my Phoenix, so the backup use is "free".

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old December 26th 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N2
external usenet poster

At 23:46 23 December 2014, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Given the level of moving map sophistication in the cockpit these

days I
am=
wondering what use, if any, Glideplan is to the soaring pilot. If you
use=
it, where does it add value for you? Safety? training? XC planning

or in
=
flight navigation? Competition? Any stories o share?

Thanks,

Matt Herron

Matt,

Love it, need it , push it on newbies. A must for the big picture. Its
the quickest best map over hours of old school map making. Learning
xc, Contest, new site flying are all complimented by it.

What I've seen as an examiner in styles of xc planning the instructors
who teach with it and the people who use it or make there own maps
like this old school realy understand whats going on and by using this
style of map have the intimate feel for the location they need to feel
comfortable venturing xc into.

Al

Old December 26th 14, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N2
external usenet poster

At 23:46 23 December 2014, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Given the level of moving map sophistication in the cockpit these

days I
am=
wondering what use, if any, Glideplan is to the soaring pilot. If you
use=
it, where does it add value for you? Safety? training? XC planning

or in
=
flight navigation? Competition? Any stories o share?

Thanks,

Matt Herron

Matt,

Love it, need it , push it on newbies. A must for the big picture. Its
the quickest best map over hours of old school map making. Learning
xc, Contest, new site flying are all complimented by it.

What I've seen as an examiner in styles of xc planning the instructors
who teach with it and the people who use it or make there own maps
like this old school realy understand whats going on and by using this
style of map have the intimate feel for the location they need to feel
comfortable venturing xc into.

Al

Old December 26th 14, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]
external usenet poster

More agreement on the general theme. Many aspiring XC pilots want to know if they should get a clear-nav or an LX9000.... in order to do a silver flight! The answer is "a map!"
Though I must admit, at Perry last year, when the computer went on the fritz for half an hour or more at a time, going back to map in that terrain made me really appreciate the good old days! OK, now, what is that town down below me?..
John Cochrane
Old December 27th 14, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

I concur with John Seaborn, John Cochrane and the rest...

GLIDEPLAN is a valuable tool and the only practical way to make up paper maps for the glider cockpit with landout/TPs marked up. Even with my moving map on a Vertica V2 and LK8000, the paper maps provides outstanding situational awareness and pre-flight guidance to task planning (backup to electronics is also a good idea).

With Lynn Alley's geo-referenced jpg files(http://www.soaringdata.info/aviation/sectionalTab.html), Matt Heron doesn't have to spend the tedious amount of work to stitch together custom regions. Lynn, I hope that maintaining a reasonable selection of sectional regions and custom areas doesn't consume too much time. If a small subscription service to a web site is needed, I would subscribe.

BTW, don't plan on "whipping up" a custom map with tailored font sizes, colored waypoints and the such in 15-20 minutes. Every year, I have to relearn the GLIDEPLAN user interface well enough to customize my map. There are enough choices for things like map scale and the number/location of pages to print... that it takes me an hour or two to get it right. If I used the program regularly, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for you work Matt... I hope that GLIDEPLAN lives on.

Walt Rogers WX
Old December 27th 14, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ron Gleason
external usenet poster

On Friday, 26 December 2014 21:17:24 UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:

GLIDEPLAN is a valuable tool and the only practical way to make up paper maps for the glider cockpit with landout/TPs marked up. Even with my moving map on a Vertica V2 and LK8000, the paper maps provides outstanding situational awareness and pre-flight guidance to task planning (backup to electronics is also a good idea).

With Lynn Alley's geo-referenced jpg files(http://www.soaringdata.info/aviation/sectionalTab.html), Matt Heron doesn't have to spend the tedious amount of work to stitch together custom regions. Lynn, I hope that maintaining a reasonable selection of sectional regions and custom areas doesn't consume too much time. If a small subscription service to a web site is needed, I would subscribe.

BTW, don't plan on "whipping up" a custom map with tailored font sizes, colored waypoints and the such in 15-20 minutes. Every year, I have to relearn the GLIDEPLAN user interface well enough to customize my map. There are enough choices for things like map scale and the number/location of pages to print... that it takes me an hour or two to get it right. If I used the program regularly, this wouldn't be an issue.

Walt Rogers WX

Walt and others, while Lynn does not use a subscription model he does accept donations. You can find it at http://soaringdata.info/aviation/donate.html

Lynn is a great asset to the soaring community and donates much time and energy to the local soaring scene via instructing, tow plane access, weather guessing and mentoring.

If possible donate what you can to show your appreciation for the valubale resource.

Ron Gleason
Old December 27th 14, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:42:18 AM UTC-8, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Friday, 26 December 2014 21:17:24 UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:

Walt Rogers WX

Walt and others, while Lynn does not use a subscription model he does accept donations. You can find it at http://soaringdata.info/aviation/donate..html

Lynn is a great asset to the soaring community and donates much time and energy to the local soaring scene via instructing, tow plane access, weather guessing and mentoring.

If possible donate what you can to show your appreciation for the valubale resource.

Ron Gleason

Thanks Ron... After reviewing Lynn's web site I saw the donate button and sent in my contribution.

Walt WX
Old December 29th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 3:32:02 PM UTC-8, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:

Glideplan makes it easy to just print out the sectional with the turnpoints and landing points overlaid, slap on the clear shelf paper and your good to go.

As an alternative to shelf paper, I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/TECHKO-LM1915-...5%22+LAMINATOR

It takes 30 seconds to laminate a chart - no bubbles, rigid or flexible depending on the laminating pouch thickness and pre-cut to most standard printer paper sizes. I generally print on two sides of 28 lb legal paper. They mark up easily with a Sharpie that won't rub off easily in the cockpit. Cleanup with a little nail polish remover or 5 minutes of elbow grease.

9B
Old December 30th 14, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Thanks for all the great comments and support!

As a reminder, Glideplan and SeeG remain on sale for just 4 more days (through Jan 2nd). At over 60% off, Its a great time to pick up a copy of Glideplan for the coming season. Response has been very good to the sale so far.. Visit www.GlidePlan.com for more info or to purchase a copy.

Cheers,

Matt Herron