Is Glideplan still relevant?

Old December 23rd 14, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Is Glideplan still relevant?

Given the level of moving map sophistication in the cockpit these days I am wondering what use, if any, Glideplan is to the soaring pilot. If you use it, where does it add value for you? Safety? training? XC planning or in flight navigation? Competition? Any stories o share?

Thanks,

Matt Herron
Old December 24th 14, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:46:35 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Given the level of moving map sophistication in the cockpit these days I am wondering what use, if any, Glideplan is to the soaring pilot. If you use it, where does it add value for you? Safety? training? XC planning or in flight navigation? Competition? Any stories o share?

Thanks,

Matt Herron

Works great if the electrons rebel... Also very useful for task-setting at contests. I used it to prepare a map of the authorized tow-out fields for aero retrieves for the tow pilots (length, freq, orientation, etc).

Dan
2D
Old December 24th 14, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:46:35 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Given the level of moving map sophistication in the cockpit these days I am wondering what use, if any, Glideplan is to the soaring pilot. If you use it, where does it add value for you? Safety? training? XC planning or in flight navigation? Competition? Any stories o share?

Thanks,

Matt Herron

I like to use it to make maps for contests.
If I taught, I would use it to help students plan early cross country flights.
QT
Old December 24th 14, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom (2N0)

Even with a ClearNav and a backup Oudie I still print out a copy of the map before flight.
Old December 24th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Still use it, especially at contest.

Kevin
92
Old December 24th 14, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

I need to figure out a way to reach out to beginner XC pilots. Perhaps those that have just completed their bronze or silver. Unfortunately SSA doesn't provide a way to do this. And print ads are really too expensive. If we can help hook newly minted pilots on XC, they will be much more likely to stick with the sport.

Matt
Old December 24th 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Same response as others. I use it for contests - both as CD and as Competitor. I figure it saves me a couple of hours before I fly at every new site. Instead of having to tape together a bunch of sectionals, draw distance rings (poortly) with the calipers I had in middle school, then find all of the turnpoints.... I just load a couple of fonts and print out a perfect, current map.

It's also a nice way to brief people new to a site (contest or otherwise).

P3
Old December 24th 14, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 1:59:03 PM UTC-8, Papa3 wrote:
Same response as others. I use it for contests - both as CD and as Competitor. I figure it saves me a couple of hours before I fly at every new site. Instead of having to tape together a bunch of sectionals, draw distance rings (poortly) with the calipers I had in middle school, then find all of the turnpoints.... I just load a couple of fonts and print out a perfect, current map.

It's also a nice way to brief people new to a site (contest or otherwise)..

P3

Agree. Even the large format moving-map displays are not as good for overall task area situational awareness at-a-glance. This is critical for MAT tasks and useful for AATs. It's not as helpful for ASTs, but no one calls those anymore (Yes, I'm trolling. Don't take the bait, it's Christmas!) ;-)

With the new tool for merging sectionals Lynn Alley put together GlidePlan is useful again. New XC pilots and OLC pilots should like the more cockpit-friendly size versus sectionals.

9B
Old December 24th 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)

There is no single item in the cockpit that provides the level of area awareness than a printed map especially in contests. The area, turn point orientations and task details are mostly lost on a tiny screen. Glideplan makes it easy to just print out the sectional with the turnpoints and landing points overlaid, slap on the clear shelf paper and your good to go. So my 2 cents are that Glideplan is relevant for all the XC, training, flight planning, inflight nav and competition.

Stories? When you are trying to figure out which side of the turn area to go or how deep and need how those cu up ahead sit in relation to the edge of the cylinder a printed map is by far the best.

One day in a nationals we are coming back late into the wind and its going blue. A single cu forms and sticks about 20 degrees off course. The lead bunch head off towards the cu but in looking at my Glideplan map I divine the cu is just past the edge of restricted airspace and go straight - and make it. Very, very handy.

John Seaborn

Old December 25th 14, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

Matt,

I use Glideplan regularly when doing introductory cross-country training. We also used last year at Air Sailing's Thermal Camp and will be using it again this coming year. I consider it to be a great tool.

Larry

Sectionals for GlidePlan 2KA Soaring 20 June 9th 14 09:43 PM
Glideplan - Matt Herron CJ[_3_] Soaring 1 February 4th 14 12:44 PM
Is GlidePlan still available for download? [email protected] Soaring 1 March 7th 13 02:51 AM
GlidePlan Experience John Seaborn Soaring 5 July 14th 07 06:53 AM
the AWOL status of Bush is a relevant election issue D. Strang Military Aviation 24 July 15th 04 09:28 PM