A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Home Built
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 1st 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob


Ads
  #2  
Old March 1st 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 78
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

On Mar 1, 12:55 am, "Rob Turk" wrote:
I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob


ProSeal ....... or the generic =?

Take it to an RV shop and have the insert "welded" in?

  #5  
Old March 2nd 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
clare at snyder.on.ca
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 121
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:37:38 GMT, Dennis Fetters
wrote:

wrote:
On Mar 1, 12:55 am, "Rob Turk" wrote:

I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob


Red high temperature silicon sealer. Local hardware store. Clean the
threads with alcohol and apply sealer. Lasts forever.



Except RTV is NOT gasoline resistant.

--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  #6  
Old March 2nd 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,924
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?


clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

Except RTV is NOT gasoline resistant.


Right.

How about some welding with a pencil torch, and some cut up strips of like
plastic?

The key is to keep the fitting hot enough so the strips of plastic stay
melted onto it, and cools and hardens after the heat is taken away, and
enough heat is also applied to the tank plastic and the strips so that they
toughly melt together.

It is a fine line, getting the tank hot enough to soften, but not melt
through.

The other option that comes to mind is a fitting that is a plate with
threads in it for the fuel line fitting, installed inside the tank and
another plate on the outside the tank, with a gasket on both sides, and
screws holding them all together. That could be done second, if the dreaded
melt-through happened around the fitting. This could be manufactured at
home, if one was a bit handy, and creative.
--
Jim in NC


  #8  
Old March 2nd 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Earl
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

Rob said his tank had developed a leak. That would mean that there had
been gasoline in the tank. I don't think anyone would suggest welding
a used metal tank, how could it be any safer with a plasic one?


Steve in Michigan

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:30:32 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:


clare at snyder.on.ca wrote

Except RTV is NOT gasoline resistant.


Right.

How about some welding with a pencil torch, and some cut up strips of like
plastic?

The key is to keep the fitting hot enough so the strips of plastic stay
melted onto it, and cools and hardens after the heat is taken away, and
enough heat is also applied to the tank plastic and the strips so that they
toughly melt together.

It is a fine line, getting the tank hot enough to soften, but not melt
through.

The other option that comes to mind is a fitting that is a plate with
threads in it for the fuel line fitting, installed inside the tank and
another plate on the outside the tank, with a gasket on both sides, and
screws holding them all together. That could be done second, if the dreaded
melt-through happened around the fitting. This could be manufactured at
home, if one was a bit handy, and creative.


  #9  
Old March 2nd 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rob Turk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

"Earl" wrote in message
...
Rob said his tank had developed a leak. That would mean that there had
been gasoline in the tank. I don't think anyone would suggest welding
a used metal tank, how could it be any safer with a plasic one?


Steve in Michigan


You got it ;-) I like flying, but not *that* kind flight...

Rob


  #10  
Old March 2nd 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dennis Fetters
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 108
Default Sealant for polyethylene fuel tank?

Charlie wrote:
Dennis Fetters wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 1, 12:55 am, "Rob Turk" wrote:

I'm looking for a sealant or kit to seal brass NPT inserts into a
polyethylene tank. This is a Kitfox header tank that has developed a
leak at
one of the inserts. I'm probably going to use Mogas that has ethanol
additives. Any hints, tips, thoughts?

Thanks,
Rob



Red high temperature silicon sealer. Local hardware store. Clean the
threads with alcohol and apply sealer. Lasts forever.


I'd check the label first. Last time I looked, it specifically excluded
use near gasoline.

The kinds I've seen will swell up & shed chunks into the fuel system.

Charlie



Correct Charlie. But you never use any sealant in an amount that will
transfer product into the tank.

Problem: The fellow has a polyethylene tank, which nothing likes to
stick to anyway. Add to that, it has fuel and maybe even oil in the
tank, making it worse. Can't use a sealant that hardens, it will crack
and leak.

Solution: Use RTV in a small amount on only the threads of the insert
after cleaning both the male and female parts. Install the insert so
none of the RTV goes into the tank. Allow the gas to swell the RTV
inside the threads, which helps the seal.

Right, it has drawbacks if not used correctly, but it is the only good
solution for the situation. The only other solution would be to ream the
hole out and replace the threaded insert with a Dapco rubber bushing and
insert, better anyway. You can find them at Aircraft Spruce.

Hope this helps.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel tank balance Mxsmanic Piloting 101 October 3rd 06 07:56 AM
Anyone had fuel tank air vent icing up? Jim Macklin Instrument Flight Rules 3 February 28th 06 10:57 PM
fuel tank plumbing pwm Home Built 18 January 27th 05 05:54 AM
Fuel line thread sealant Paul Lee Home Built 7 February 26th 04 01:44 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.