Which handheld transceiver?

Old July 13th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Michael Henry[_2_]

Default Which handheld transceiver?

Hi all,

My local radio shop only sells Icom for about AU$550.

So, a few questions:

What of the other brands? Vertex Standard? Sportys SP-200?
I imagine they're all pretty decent brands for them to have been around
as long as they have. Is any one brand easier to use? Better made?

Does anyone actually use the vor/cdi function or is this just a gimmick?
The price doesn't seem to be too much different so I might go for a nav
model anyway, but just wondering...

That price doesn't seem to be very competitive given that these sell for
around half that amount in the US and, since the AU$ and US$ are almost
at parity, I would only expect them to be marginally more expensive due
to shipping costs.

Thanks,

Michael

Old July 13th 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
G Paleologopoulos

"Michael Henry" wrote
node...

Hi all, My local radio shop only sells Icom for about AU$550. So, a few
questions: What of the other brands? Vertex Standard? Sportys SP-200?
I imagine they're all pretty decent brands for them to have been around as
long as they have. Is any one brand easier to use? Better made? Does
anyone actually use the vor/cdi function or is this just a gimmick? The
price doesn't seem to be too much different so I might go for a nav model
anyway, but just wondering... That price doesn't seem to be very
competitive given that these sell for around half that amount in the US
and, since the AU$ and US$ are almost at parity, I would only expect them
to be marginally more expensive due to shipping costs. Thanks, Michael

I've got the SP-200. Good for the price, not as rugged as the others. Would
I buy it again?? Probably.

Old July 13th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Mike[_22_]

They all put out about the same power and they all do the same thing, so you
might as well chose based on price. I have the Vertex, which works fine.
The Icom uses Lithium-Ion batteries instead of Nihm if that makes a
difference to you.

The nav function is not worth paying extra for. If you want a backup nav,
buy a portable GPS if you don't already have one.

node...

Old July 13th 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Robert M. Gary

I've used my JRC for over a decade now and have been very happy with
it. When I flew the Aeronca it was my primary radio, now it sits under
the seat in my Mooney for emergencies. You should be able to get the
JRC 500 for a lot less than the pricey Icom
Old July 14th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
BernieFlyer[_2_]

Michael Henry wrote:
Hi all,

My local radio shop only sells Icom for about AU$550.

So, a few questions:

What of the other brands? Vertex Standard? Sportys SP-200?
I imagine they're all pretty decent brands for them to have been around
as long as they have. Is any one brand easier to use? Better made?

Does anyone actually use the vor/cdi function or is this just a gimmick?
The price doesn't seem to be too much different so I might go for a nav
model anyway, but just wondering...

That price doesn't seem to be very competitive given that these sell for
around half that amount in the US and, since the AU$ and US$ are almost
at parity, I would only expect them to be marginally more expensive due
to shipping costs.

Thanks,

Michael

I have a Vertex Standard and its given immaculate service over many
years. Only niggle is it would be good to have a battery indicator like
most mobile phones. it does tell you that the battery is low but you may
not be near 240v at the time. Either you charge it before its low and
reduce battery life or you need to buy a 2nd battery.
Old July 14th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
B A R R Y[_2_]

Michael Henry wrote:
Hi all,

My local radio shop only sells Icom for about AU$550.

So, a few questions:

What of the other brands? Vertex Standard? Sportys SP-200?
I imagine they're all pretty decent brands for them to have been around
as long as they have. Is any one brand easier to use? Better made?

Does anyone actually use the vor/cdi function or is this just a gimmick?
The price doesn't seem to be too much different so I might go for a nav
model anyway, but just wondering...

I have an ICOM A24.

I've never used the NAV functions, but have been happy with the radio
overall. I don't have extensive experience with lots of different
radios. I find the ICOM easy to use and dependable and would buy it again.

If I ever have a total electrical failure, I would imagine my battery
powered Garmin 196 GPS would get preference over the A24 CDI, but I
guess it's there if I need it.
Old July 14th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Bravo Two Zero

I have the JRC JHP-500 for over 8 years now and it is an excellent radio for
the price, it is in my flight bag on every flight. With JRC you are not
paying a premium for an established name like ICON.

Picked up nickel metal hydride battery for it from Batteries America for
about $30

Old July 14th 08, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Airbus[_4_]

Do take a look at the warranty conditions, and how they apply to where
you live.

Someone here was just complaining about not being able to get his
handheld repaired. My 5-year old ICOM has just come back from the shop
looking like new, after I dropped it on a tarmac and broke the LCD
display and a few other things. It was fixed in four days at a
very reasonable cost, even though the model is now discontinued. In the
meantime, I have bought a Vertex, which seems just as good in all
respects, including warranty and return for repair.

Old July 14th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Vaughn Simon

"Michael Henry" wrote in message
node...

What of the other brands? Vertex Standard?

Vertex and Icom are the "Honda & Toyota" of the aviation portable radio
world. For your own reasons you may prefer one brand or the other, but you
won't go wrong with either.

For the record, I have a Vertex and love it.

Vaughn