[Fwd: Fantastic Falcon Flick]

Old October 14th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Default [Fwd: Fantastic Falcon Flick]

Old October 14th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 13, 9:46*pm, Jack wrote:
A skydiver, freefalling and being followed by a peregrine falcon.

http://www.flixxy.com/you-can-fly.htm

=== end ===

that is awesome
Old October 15th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Oct 14, 2:32*pm, wrote:

Old October 15th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Oct 14, 9:52*pm, GM wrote:
On Oct 14, 2:32*pm, wrote:

On Oct 13, 9:46*pm, Jack wrote:

A skydiver, freefalling and being followed by a peregrine falcon.

http://www.flixxy.com/you-can-fly.htm

=== end ===

that is awesome

Fantastic footage, indeed. Just one question: how did the Falcon get
up there? I cannot imagine him flying alongside the C-172 all the time
it took to climb to altitude. Even when climbing, the Cessna would be
too fast. Did the parachutist carry him along and toss him out the
door before he exited?
Uli

Yes - you can see the falcon is trained and was released by the
skydiver. The bird is also diving to retrieve a treat held by his
owner (a tasty pigeon?).

It looks like the falcon was pretty close to its terminal velocity.
Very impressive.

Some of you may also have caught the BBC TV news piece on a French
falconer who teaches eagles raised in captivity to accompany his
paraglider in flight - there were some pretty amazing shots from Mont
Blanc.

Mike

Old October 15th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

At 05:07 15 October 2008, Mike the Strike wrote:

Some of you may also have caught the BBC TV news piece on a French
falconer who teaches eagles raised in captivity to accompany his
paraglider in flight - there were some pretty amazing shots from Mont
Blanc.

Mike

I believe tht was a woman, Mike.
Old October 15th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Snip
A skydiver, freefalling and being followed by a peregrine falcon.
http://www.flixxy.com/you-can-fly.htm
=== end ===

that is awesome

Fantastic footage, indeed. Just one question: how did the Falcon get
up there? I cannot imagine him flying alongside the C-172 all the time
it took to climb to altitude. Even when climbing, the Cessna would be
too fast. Did the parachutist carry him along and toss him out the
door before he exited?

This may be a first...TV being ahead of the internet. Maybe a year or
two ago I happened to catch something on PBS (Nova?) about a sport
parachutist/falconer/scientifically-inclined person seeking to measure
just how fast Peregrine Falcons could dive. As of then, his trained
falcon had attained (as I vaguely recall) 287 mph keeping pace with his
trainer/free-falling 'chutist. I blundered into the show via channel
surf, and was more interested in what (t)he(y) had learned about bird
aerodynamics than absolute speeds, so take the above number skeptically.

In any event, the bird - to achieve the highest descent speeds then seen
& recorded - modified its nominal body shape to achieve a slimmer
cross section than merely diving head-first downhill might indicate
possible.

Nifty science, w. a high 'Gollygeewhillickers!' factor.

Bob - there might *BE* something to this evolution theory - W.

P.S. Not an insignificant 'chutist speed either...!
Old October 15th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Speeds of "over 200mph" have been recorded, but I don't know about
280mph...

However, there are fascinating ramifications of going that fast.
Here's a tidibt I never thought about before (thank you Wikipedia):

-----
The air pressure from a 200 mph (320 km/h) dive could possibly damage
a bird's lungs, but small bony tubercles in a falcon's nostrils guide
the shock waves of the air entering the nostrils (compare intake ramps
and inlet cones of jet engines), enabling the bird to breathe more
easily while diving by reducing the change in air pressure
-----

....How cool is that?

--Noel

Old October 15th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P Ilatus[_1_]

there's a falcon 'skydiving' video on the same website:

http://www.flixxy.com/skydiving-falcon.htm

Old October 16th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bobcaldwell

On Oct 15, 12:30*pm, P Ilatus wrote:
[...]

A stable skydiver is at about 120 mph I belive
Old October 16th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Oct 16, 12:58*pm, bobcaldwell
wrote:

A stable skydiver is at about 120 mph I belive-

That's about right for belly flying as was seen in the video that
started this thread. There quite a range though depending on body
position, body shape, and clothing. My max fall rate was only about
105 mph when I started jumping. Skydivers can fall much faster than
120mph in stable head down position though.

Andy