Where was "Glacier Girl"?

Old August 9th 03, 02:34 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Where was "Glacier Girl"?

It just dawned on me that I never saw Glacier Girl -- the P-38 that was
retrieved from beneath the ice in Greenland and fully restored -- at
Oshkosh.

Anyone know what happened? I was really looking forward to seeing her!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 9th 03, 02:46 PM
MLenoch

The story was that the owners had no interest in bringing it to OSH.
VL
Old August 9th 03, 03:20 PM
Jay Honeck

The story was that the owners had no interest in bringing it to OSH.

Gee, they sure as hell didn't feel that way when they were at Oshkosh
begging for money, some 10+ years ago.

I was really hoping to see the fruits of our obviously ill-spent donation.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 9th 03, 05:25 PM
MLenoch

The story was that the owners had no interest in bringing it to OSH.

Gee, they sure as hell didn't feel that way when they were at Oshkosh
begging for money, some 10+ years ago.

I was really hoping to see the fruits of our obviously ill-spent donation.
--

That's a very good point. Kinda devalues all the trinkets I bought, thinking
that the purchases would help the restoration.
Old August 10th 03, 12:12 AM
Jim

I may be mistaken but I thought the show on Glacier Girl that was on the
Wings Channel said it would be there next year, 2004.

Jim Burns III

Old August 10th 03, 03:46 PM
john smith

Jay Honeck wrote:
It just dawned on me that I never saw Glacier Girl -- the P-38 that was
retrieved from beneath the ice in Greenland and fully restored -- at
Oshkosh.
Anyone know what happened? I was really looking forward to seeing her!

Probably no sponsor for the insurance money to fly it there and back.
It cost $70k for the two days of the initial flight test in March.
They flew it to Dayton, but I do not know who paid the bills.
Old August 10th 03, 10:27 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Probably no sponsor for the insurance money to fly it there and back.
It cost $70k for the two days of the initial flight test in March.
They flew it to Dayton, but I do not know who paid the bills.

Wonder what kind of insurance you can get on a one-of-a-kind plane like
Glacier Girl?

I would think liability, and not much more...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

I've been up to Glacier Girl's home field to see it a couple of times. It is
a unique aircraft, but (IMO) they have placed an unrealsitically high value
on it. They told me that it is insured for $6,000,000. That is apparently
what they have invested in it, but it is very arguable that any P-38, even
theirs, could command a price like that in the market.

Another issue is that there are less than a half dozen people in the world
they can get authorized to fly it by their insurance company. And to think,
the AAF used to turn 20 year olds loose in 'em every day! In addition to
insurance costs, they indicated that it cost 'em a substantial amount of $
to get Steve Hinton to test fly it. When I asked about Lefty Gardner and/or
his son flying it, the answer was that the insurance company had issues with
Lefty's age and with his son's time in type... Oh well....

In any case, the rest of the story was that since it is so valuable (and
expensive to insure and operate) they will probably take it to a handful of
airshows in the next year or two, then retire it in flyable condition, but
keep it on the ground.

KB

Old August 12th 03, 12:55 AM

Well, check out there web site it says there gonna have there own little
Airshow with another P38 Called Porky II On September 6 & 7 at Middlesboro
KY. Check it out http://www.thelostsquadron.com/