Flying in the Bahama's - where to go???

Old November 30th 03, 11:49 AM
pix

Default Flying in the Bahama's - where to go???

Looking at a flying trip through the Bahama's from Florida, down towards
Venezuela (hopefully able to go around that and Columbia, thence Panama,
back to Florida. Bare bones in the planning stages so far; looking at places
to stay budget accomodation, things to do (diving, drinking beer etc), and
more specifically the do's and don'ts of flying in that area of the world.

We are from Australia, Denmark and Austria (a real mix!), with Australian
and European pilot's licence. Looking at flying at least 172SP's or a newish
182. Experiences vary - from experienced multi engine IFR to 80 hour newbie.

We hope to be flying around Feb/March next year.

Any idea's and suggestions?

cheers...pix

Old November 30th 03, 01:13 PM
Martin Hotze

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 22:49:14 +1100, pix wrote:

Looking at a flying trip through the Bahama's from Florida, down towards
Venezuela (hopefully able to go around that and Columbia, thence Panama,
back to Florida. Bare bones in the planning stages so far; looking at places
to stay budget accomodation, things to do (diving, drinking beer etc), and
more specifically the do's and don'ts of flying in that area of the world.

We are from Australia, Denmark and Austria (a real mix!), with Australian
and European pilot's licence. Looking at flying at least 172SP's or a newish
182. Experiences vary - from experienced multi engine IFR to 80 hour newbie.

We hope to be flying around Feb/March next year.

Any idea's and suggestions?

cheers...pix

I think that your Austrian part of the team already asked some questions
here. Look up the older postings.

#m

--
http://www.declareyourself.com/fyr_candidates.php
http://www.subterrane.com/bush.shtml
Old November 30th 03, 03:27 PM
Richard Ross

Check this site out for Bahama's info:
http://www.floridapilot.com/bahamas_intro.htm

Richard

Old November 30th 03, 10:12 PM
Tom Fleischman

In article , Richard
Ross wrote:

Check this site out for Bahama's info:
http://www.floridapilot.com/bahamas_intro.htm

Richard

What an interesting site. Thanks for posting it!
Old December 1st 03, 12:36 AM
pix

I think I may be guilty of this Martin. Some of my postings did not get out,
or the replies did not come it. We have been having some trouble with our
main telecom providor...

cheers...pix

Old December 2nd 03, 12:56 AM
Eclipsme

Sounds like a great trip. I envy you. I live in central Florida, and have
been here for 15 years. When I moved here, I owned a 182, and briefly had it
on lease back (available for hire). Other than that one, I have never seen a
182 for rent here. With Piper based in Vero Beach, there is a definite
preference for Piper product. This may be your biggest problem. The flying
is great, the weather good, as long as you stay away during hurricane
season, and the scenery in the Caribbean is great. Check out Crooked Island
in the Bahamas, as well as Eluthra. Stay away from Dominican Republic - red
tape and officialitis. Don't arrive in Puerto Rico after 5:00 PM or you will
be charged overtime. Good fuel stop at Grand Turk, or at least there was
some years back. Have you checked out what is needed to convert your
license?

Just a few thoughts. Good luck,
Harvey

Old December 2nd 03, 09:07 AM
pix

Thanks Harvey for that. We have applied for licence verification via the FAA
website, should receive a response in 6 weeks or so...

One of the issues that we are having is minimum number of hours to fly the
plane. We want to have the plane for 4 weeks and can guarantee 40 hours;
however some of the rental agencies are looking for 60 hours minimum. We
want to fly the more modern planes (reliability etc); Cessna vs Piper not a
real issue - don't care which. A good Archer would be fine. A Grumman Tiger
wold be good too, but I guess they are getting a bit thin on the ground...

The Venezuela - Panama section may cause a bit of a problem - some companies
will not allow their planes there - and maybe rightly so with all the
politics that are going on there at the moment. I for one would really like
to get up to the Baja Peninsula and do some diving.

cheers...pix

Old December 2nd 03, 10:01 AM
Thomas Borchert

Pix,

for 4 weeks and can guarantee 40 hours;
however some of the rental agencies are looking for 60 hours minimum.

60 hours in 28 days - or 2 hours per day - is a normal to good deal.
Many want three.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 2nd 03, 11:31 AM
Eclipsme

You're welcome. 60 hours min for 4 weeks isn't terrible - about 2 hours per
day, which is less than many places. Then again, many places would not be
able to rent the plane for 60 hours over 4 weeks if not for you. Seems like
negotiation may be possible. Then again, how many planes have you found that
are available?

Is the problem Venezuela or Panama? I am not looking at map, but can't
imagine Panama is a problem - is it? I am sure you will figure this part
out.

Hmm... back to Florida the long way - via Baja! LOL. Great if you have the
time/money. RU sure 60 hours is a problem? When I was based in California,
we used to go to Baja for long weekends. Depending on time of year, the
whales can be seen at Scammon's Lagoon. I don't remember the time of year -
summer?. Mulege is (was?) an excellent fly in destination. 3,000 ft dirt
runway on the Sea of Cortez side, about 1/2 way up. Nice hotel just off the
runway - not expensive - that had fiesta night wed and Fri.. On Friday, they
would roast a pig. Great food and even better Margaritas! Fresh limes. Yum!

I would suggest flying across Mexico, rather than the US as far as possible.
Less traffic, nicer flying. Then again, I have flown the Grand Canyon, the
Mississippi, ... In western Mexico, if you see a town called Guamachil (or
something close), be prepared to be searched. I landed there without
realizing it is (was) a major town for exporting/transportation of grass.
Before I knew it, upon landing I was surrounded by military with guns! BTW -
don't worry about them. At every airport you will be met by a soldier with a
rifle. They are generally very nice and just want to see your flight plan.
Kind of like a kinder, gentler FAA with guns. No, that's not what I mean.
They are generally just kids - with rifles... uh, well, they never treated
us poorly. It's just that at this airport, we were met by about 20 of them!

Great fun. Thanks for triggering the memories!
Harvey