Seminole crash - 3 CFIs

Old January 3rd 04, 05:12 PM
Bob Gardner

Default Seminole crash - 3 CFIs

This morning's paper reports that a Seminole crashed near Cave Junction, Oregon, killing three. Of the four persons on board, three were flight instructors. Undefined power problems were reported by the pilot. Conditions were IMC.

The Seminole is not a real four passenger airplane any more than a Cessna 172 is. It just doesn't have the oomph needed to get on top of the weather, especially over mountains.

Bob Gardner

Old January 3rd 04, 05:23 PM
C J Campbell

I wonder if it was an ATP Seminole. They might have that many flight
instructors on board.

Old January 3rd 04, 05:44 PM
Robert Moore

"Bob Gardner" wrote

Bob, What's all of this crap? :-)

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C3D1D9.B0977450
!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2734.1600" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2This morning's paper reports that a
Seminole crashed near Cave Junction, Oregon, killing three. Of the four
persons on board, three were flight instructors. Undefined power
problems were reported by the pilot. Conditions were IMC./FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2The Seminole is not a real four passenger
airplane any more than a Cessna 172 is. It just doesn't have the oomph
needed to get on top of the weather, especially over
mountains./FONT/DIV DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2Bob Gardner/FONT/DIV
DIVFONT face=Arial size=2/FONT /DIV/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_002C_01C3D1D9.B0977450--

Old January 3rd 04, 05:58 PM
Cecil E. Chapman

Are you sure that you don't have your newsgroup reader set to display,
'source' ???

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures complete with pictures and text at:
www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
. 7...

Old January 3rd 04, 06:18 PM
Robert Moore

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote

Are you sure that you don't have your newsgroup reader set to display,
'source' ???

Nope! This is the only post.

Bob
Old January 3rd 04, 06:20 PM
Jay Honeck

Are you sure that you don't have your newsgroup reader set to display,
'source' ???

Nope! This is the only post.

Weird. Bob's post appeared normally on my PC.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 3rd 04, 06:40 PM
Bob Gardner

It was leased to Auburn Flight Service...I assume that it is the AFS right
here in the Puget Sound area, not the Auburn down by Sacramento.

Bob Gardner

Old January 3rd 04, 06:45 PM
Peter Duniho

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
r.com...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Weird. Bob's post appeared normally on my PC.

Same here. No crap.

That's because you are all using a newsreader that interprets HTML, which is
what Bob's original post was written in.

He shouldn't have used HTML (nor should anyone be posting to a newsgroup
like this one using HTML), and Robert wound up suffering because he did.
Most people don't, just because their newsreader is hiding poor posting
practices from them.

(Actually, the truth is that if you're paying attention, even in Outlook
Express or other HTML-aware newsreaders, the HTML posts look different. The
poor posting practice isn't so much hidden, as it is made less obvious to
those not aware of the issue).

As for the topic at hand, I don't know much about the Seminole, but without
knowing the weights of the four people in the plane, I don't see how Bob can
say that it's "not a real four passenger airplane". I'm not a small person
(200 pound-ish), and I've flown a 172 with all four seats occupied with
adults, and legally so at that.

Seems to me it's a little premature to be making conclusions about the cause
of the accident. Could easily be that the aircraft load had *nothing* to do
with the crash.

Pete