Rescue Aid

Old July 24th 18, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Rescue Aid

Would placing warning signs above the buried gas line shorten the wait time?

On 7/23/2018 8:36 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
My local SAR group sez always carry a piece of yellow natural gas line with you.
If you get in trouble, bury it in the ground and in no time a backhoe will arrive and dig it up!

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 24th 18, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My Dad used to advise taking along a deck of cards. Lay out a game of Solitaire and within three minutes someone would be looking over your shoulder, telling you to play the black 10 on the red Jack.
Old July 25th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Duster wrote on 7/20/2018 11:09 AM:
Seriously, though, instead of trying to affix a bulky water bottle inside something that could get entangled or lost during bailout, what about using a version of those emergency water packets that lay pretty flat? e.g. 4oz with a 5 year shelf-life: https://www.moreprepared.com/sos-eme...ng-water-pouch
You could place 1 or more in various pockets, inside your shirt or some other clever location?

My 'chute has a sheepskin Velcro-ed on which essentially forms a large bin. You can toss in several water packets w/o affecting comfort since they're quite thin (125ml vol). They don't shift or fall out at any attitude. If place near the lumbar region, they can provide gentle support. I've also made an insert from a T-shirt with 6 pockets which the water packets and other small emergency items (e.g., space blanket) can be placed. This is then inserted behind the sheepskin. In addition to the sterile water (which can be used to irrigate small wounds or even chilled to cool your back) I also carry an old, out of contract, thin flip-phone that can be used to call 911. This is not a lot of extra effort, and once the items are in place there's no need to think about it.

Some water would be better than no water, but I'm thinking about places like
Nevada in the summer, where a few packets (like 5 for 20 oz) isn't very much. But,
best idea yet, and I like the concept of putting thin, light things between the
padding (my parachute has a snap-on cotton pad) and the parachute.

Old July 25th 18, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Foster wrote on 7/19/2018 8:24 PM:
On Thursday, July 19, 2018 at 12:39:06 PM UTC-6, Duster wrote:
Seriously, though, instead of trying to affix a bulky water bottle inside something that could get entangled or lost during bailout, what about using a version of those emergency water packets that lay pretty flat? e.g. 4oz with a 5 year shelf-life: https://www.moreprepared.com/sos-eme...ng-water-pouch
You could place 1 or more in various pockets, inside your shirt or some other clever location? I'll ask my rigger for his input.

Depending on where you live, it may be better to take a Life Straw with you instead of carrying the actual water on your person. This would allow you to drink out of any nearby stream or puddle. And it would probably be lighter too.

No puddles or streams in Nevada and other US desert areas during the months we
generally fly there.

Old July 25th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 2:31:39 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Ditto on that. There are plenty of places in Nevada where you could walk all day and still not reach any habitation. You would be better off staying with the aircraft and waiting for rescue (it is easier to spot a glider than a person from the air). Having an independent means of reliable communication greatly increases your odds of survival.

Tom
Old July 26th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 4:42:00 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
[...]

Absolutely agree. "Allow yourself to be found." Is a fundamental tenet of survival in a situation where one is lost or otherwise in need of rescue. In such as situation, stay in one place and be as findable as possible. Too bad the idiot "survival" shows on TV most often portray dramatic self-rescues that involve climbing sheer cliffs, swimming icy rivers, drinking water squeezed from elephant turds, etc. I guess footage of Bear Grylls sitting patiently with a signalling mirror, a whistle, and a smoky fire would not garner much in the way of ratings.
Old July 26th 18, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 2:31:39 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:

No puddles or streams in Nevada and other US desert areas during the months we
generally fly there.

Clearly you have not crashed near my back yard. Eastern foot of the Carson Range (Sierra) at about the same elevation as the bottom of Lake Tahoe. Could be someone left the rubber stopper in crooked. Water comes out of the mountain from 3 springs 24/7. More water than we know what to do with.

In Nevada, look for a green spot to crash or land. Most likely there'll be a ranch. Farmer's daughter?
Old August 6th 18, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

bumper wrote on 7/25/2018 11:53 PM:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 2:31:39 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:

No puddles or streams in Nevada and other US desert areas during the months we
generally fly there.

Clearly you have not crashed near my back yard. Eastern foot of the Carson Range (Sierra) at about the same elevation as the bottom of Lake Tahoe. Could be someone left the rubber stopper in crooked. Water comes out of the mountain from 3 springs 24/7. More water than we know what to do with.

In Nevada, look for a green spot to crash or land. Most likely there'll be a ranch. Farmer's daughter?

If I crash or land with the glider, I'll have plenty of water (in the glider), but
if I bail out, I probably won't be able to steer my parachute to a puddle :^)