glider battery duration problems

Old October 4th 13, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default glider battery duration problems

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:02:43 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
The battery I linked to is by the same manufacturer you're espousing. I've

read the technical details and can't find anything about the case, much less

"poly shrink wrap". Where did you come up with that description?

About halfway down the page where it says: "Packaging: PVC shrinkwrap"

That much stored energy deserves robust packaging.

-Evan

Old October 4th 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 2:48:38 PM UTC-7, Dave Springford wrote:
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:05:09 PM UTC-4, Dave Springford wrote:

I will confirm with K2, but it is likely too high.

K2 tells me that as long as the battery has the BMS, your 14 V charger with 15.7 V output will be OK to charge their LiFePo4 battery.

Thanks Dave
I am ordering one of these units.
Much appreciate all the help. 6PK
Old October 4th 13, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I think if you look at this page:
http://www.bioennopower.com/pages/12...ifepo4-battery

You will see that the pack in the picture is covered in shrink wrap, not in a solid ABS-case. Take a look at the bulge on the right side of the pack and the fold at the top right corner.

Old October 4th 13, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:00:41 PM UTC-4, Dave Springford wrote:
I think if you look at this page:

http://www.bioennopower.com/pages/12...ifepo4-battery

You will see that the pack in the picture is covered in shrink wrap, not in a solid ABS-case. Take a look at the bulge on the right side of the pack and the fold at the top right corner.

This is the one I use: http://www.bioennopower.com/collecti...ifepo4-battery

-Evan
Old October 4th 13, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Soartech wrote, On 10/3/2013 10:04 AM:
GO SOLAR ! I have not charged my batteries since spring! Why spend
money on a new Lithium with specialized charger when we fly only on
sunny days? Paper thin solar panels are only around $100 each and the
regulator can be bought on Amazon for $11. Your battery is charging
the instant you roll out of the trailer. Here is just one of many
places to buy the panels:
https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...0001_228208_-1

I've been interested in these panels, but they are not very efficent.
The one you reference is only 200 ma, but nearly a foot square. I'd need
8 of them to keep up with my instruments, and that would be with them
aimed directly into the sun. Circling, clouds, etc, and I would probably
average more like 500 ma during the flight instead of the peak 1600 ma.

How many of them do you use? Where do you mount them? What is the
current draw of your instruments?

email me)
Old October 4th 13, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The battery placement in the ASG29E in my opinion doesn't allow anything else than the standard 151x65x94mm size. Therefore shrinkwrapped batterys won't work, and some of the mentioned 10Ah ones are too big.
Old October 4th 13, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim White[_3_]

I have fitted a Strobl panel to my ASW27 and have reverted to 9ah SLA. As
long as the sun shines the batteries stay in the glider all season. My
chargers now only get used in winter.

www.strobl-solar.de

At 22:10 03 October 2013, Dan Marotta wrote:
Please describe your layout with a parts list.

Just a quick look at the products in your link would lead me to believe

I'd

need 7 or 8 (or more) of those, at about $90 EACH plus a controller. The

LiFEPO4 battery at $200 can be charged 2000 times at 100% charge. At my
age
I don't think I have another 2,000 flights left!

Or... Is it your suggestion simply to supplement your SLA batteries with

the solar cells rather than power your ship with them?

Old October 4th 13, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I missed that, Evan - THANKS!

Depending upon the size, I could still fab a box in the fuselage or ask
Fidel at Applebay Aircraft to do it for me.

I took a look at the Strobl setup and it looks great, but the price of
$2078.40 kinda put me off. Is shipping from Europe extra? Did I make a
mistake? I hit the "Buy" button and went to the cart to have a look and
that's the price I got.

Old October 4th 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Regarding the solar cells.
Dan and Eric, I am suggesting to use your current lead acid battery(s) and charge them with solar. The idea is that they charge during the time the glider is on the ground before and after flight and supplement while in flight. During flight the 200 mA.of one cell may not cover all of your current draw, most likely. It might for me as I just have a vario, radio and Streak connected. My experience is that the battery charges enough to keep it going all summer. Try two cells to start with and I think you will be surprised how well it works. It's way better than removing the battery after every flight, taking it home and charging it which is what my friend does.
I also have a 15 Watt panel on my trailer that runs a 4 inch 12V computer fan I installed behind the vent grill but I can switch it over to charge the battery if I need to via a wire pair. So far I have not needed to use it for charging. Trailer stays cool all summer.
Old October 4th 13, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

I took a look at the Strobl setup and it looks great, but the price of

$2078.40 kinda put me off.

That price is way out of line with today's solar equipment. Someone is making a lot of profit at that level. Search around. Look at Amazon, solarblvd.com and eBay. This is not rocket science.