Generating the Juice

Old September 11th 03, 09:22 PM
Del Rawlins

On 11 Sep 2003 10:10 AM, Morgans posted the following:

"terra" wrote .

I expected to see some scoffing here, but I got some really pleasant

replies. I
could have done a lot better at persuading "Garfield" that he's wrong

about some
things. I simply pushed. Naturally, he pushed back. I failed.

This isn't the same Garfield that used to hang out here, 4 or 5 years
ago, is it?

He was loony tunes, then.

I don't believe it was the same guy. I wondered the same thing and did
a google search on him, and found a posting history going back to before
the "other" Garfield quit posting.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old September 11th 03, 11:58 PM
RobertR237

In article , "Rich S."
writes:

What about that tide powered generator idea. Use the force of the
moon's gravitational field to lift water. At low tide, release the
water through turbines and generate some electricity. Although if you
did this enough, the moon would eventually become one with the earth.
=^(

And........ What will happen if you don't do it?

I can't remember the location but tidal power is currently being used to
generate electricty. It would seem to be more dependable for the long haul
than wind or solar since you can predict the tides with great accuracy.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old September 12th 03, 01:25 AM
Bill Daniels

Generating electricity from wind and tides is neat since electricity can be
converted into other forms of energy easily. However, generation and
conversion comes with losses. Sometimes it's worth looking beyond
electricity to see what it is to be used for.

For example, an acquaintance of mine has a workshop located at the end of a
long REA powerline that cannot power big electric power tools. So, he uses
air driven shop tools. Where does he get the compressed air? He built a
windmill that drives a big air compressor. The compressed air is stored in
large tanks until he needs it.

Another acquaintance heats his remote ranch house with a windmill that
churns water to heat it. He also gets heat from solar water heaters.

Ingenuity triumphs again.

Bill Daniels

Old September 12th 03, 02:12 AM
Morgans

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

That sounds interesting. What voltage does he have there?

Churning water for heat? That would take one hell of a lot of churning!
Tell us more specifics!
--
Jim in NC

Old September 12th 03, 02:50 AM
Ida Covey

Nova Scotia, just north of Annapolis Royale, on the bay of Fundy, where
tides are in the 40 foot range.

BJC

Old September 12th 03, 02:52 AM
Bill Daniels

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Don't know the voltage but it is supposed to be an old REA line installed in
the 1940's. Probably only intended for a few electric lights and maybe a
radio.

Churning water for heat? That would take one hell of a lot of churning!
Tell us more specifics!
--

All the mechanical energy from the windmill goes into heat - one way or
another. It's basically just a dynamometer that absorbs the power output of

Bill Daniels

Old September 12th 03, 05:21 AM
terra

Morgans wrote:

"terra" wrote .

I expected to see some scoffing here, but I got some really pleasant

replies. I
could have done a lot better at persuading "Garfield" that he's wrong

about some
things. I simply pushed. Naturally, he pushed back. I failed.

This isn't the same Garfield that used to hang out here, 4 or 5 years ago,
is it?

He was loony tunes, then.
--
Jim in NC

No, this Garfield didn't even know he was Garfield until a couple days ago, when
a female student told him he looks like that cat. He's really pretty good;
misses a few concepts, but has lots of practical knowledge from working in the
industry.

Old September 12th 03, 07:12 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:33:33 -0500, Big John
wrote:

terra

Do you remember the Shuttle test where they unrolled a long wire and
let it fall down toward the earth with gravity. First test the drum
stuck and they couldn't unroll the wire.

Second try they got a lot of wire out but experiment didn't produce
what they expected. Don't remember the data published in AW&S.

Think the Italians provided the hardware and after the second failure
no more tries that were published.

I thought they fried the wore on the second try, or possibly it was on
some tethered experiment where the cable fried from the induced
voltage.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Is this similar to what you propose? If so ,you might want to contact
NASA to get any papers they wrote on these experiments.