Anyone go to CAF Airsho last weekend?

Old September 29th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Anyone go to CAF Airsho last weekend?

I make an annual tradition of the CAF Airsho but this year it was on a
weekend that was impossible for me to attend.
This Airsho has changed little in the 25+ years I've been going but it
has never gotten old. As a kid I loved the fire & explosions, as an
adult pilot/mechanic It's more a love of the sound & sight of big
radials and slim Merlins. WWII aircraft actually flying through the
air (especially Mustangs) still can bring a tear to my eye; and that's
why I drive 5 hours, or fly 2.5, almost every year.

Did anyone here go this year? The main reason I ask is I am wondering
if "FIFI," the world's only flying B-29 is back in service afte a 4
engine overhaul?

I remember with fondness the Texas Raiders B-17 smoking & landing on
two gears (nose and 1 main) after being "damaged" by a Japanese Zero.
They haven't done that in years, perhaps insurance reasons?

I also remember Lefty Gardner making an annual appearance and doing
aerobatics in his P-38, including one-engine and then no-engine
manuevers, landing dead-stick, and then rolling up to the crowd in
that red & white Lightning. I wonder who thought of that first? Lefty
or Bob?
Anyway, if anyone went, an airshow report would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ricky
Old September 29th 08, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Ricky wrote:

I remember with fondness the Texas Raiders B-17 smoking & landing on
two gears (nose and 1 main) after being "damaged" by a Japanese Zero.
They haven't done that in years, perhaps insurance reasons?

That must have been some trick. I've never seen a tail dragger landing on
only the "nose and 1 main").

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old September 30th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Frank Stutzman wrote:

That must have been some trick. I've never seen a tail dragger landing on
only the "nose and 1 main").

Yeah, maybe it landed backwards or maybe it was a B-24, -25, etc.

Old September 30th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Sep 29, 9:47*am, Frank Stutzman wrote:

That must have been some trick. *I've never seen a tail dragger landing on
only the "nose and 1 main").

Oops, I meant ONLY one main gear...

Ricky
Old October 1st 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

Didn't see the show, but about a month ago I spoke with a man who had
various CAF patches on his clothes and handcarry bag (who happened to
be standing next to me in line at an airport).
He identified himself as a flight engineer of B17 and B24 CAF
aircraft. I asked him about the B-29, and he said that they were
planning to re-enginie the plane with a different type powerplant.
Apparently overhauling the original Wright engines is not feasible. He
didn't know what the substitute would be.

BTW I've seen the CAF show in the past - including Lefty Gardner in
his P-38, and the B-17 landing on the mains only (tail up), then
taxiing around in that condition.

Dave

Weekend in DC Denny Piloting 13 May 27th 08 12:10 AM
CAF Airsho 5 days away! Ricky Piloting 1 September 24th 07 04:54 PM
A fun (!?) weekend [email protected] Soaring 9 April 4th 06 05:48 AM
Airsho / Fly-In Replies Requested Amigo Airsho Owning 0 September 22nd 04 03:56 AM
Airsho / Fly-In Replies Requested Amigo Airsho Piloting 0 September 22nd 04 03:56 AM